GCN Xeno GC chip install problem - DVD drive doesn't work anymore?

kai98yoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It may be the cause (defective chip putting an excessive load on the 3,3V line? assuming it's even connected to it, which it probably is), it's unlikely but you know Murphy's law :D

You also said the controllers still didn't work with the drive unplugged - I don't know if the GC uses self-resetting fuses (like the Wii does), but if that's the case, they should have started working again after leaving the console off for a while (although that could be measurable in days, in the worst case scenario, as seen in some raspberry pis)
Or the drive is just dead... That could be also the case, couldn't it? ...

Edit: I also recognized that after the error message occurs the wavebird reciever is still blinking when I press a button on my wavebird controller.

Last edited by kai98yoshi,

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
Just unninstall the modchip carefully.
I don't install xenos that way.
You may bridge wrong points easily.

I can help you install xeno another way then.

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
When you power on the console can you check if the leds on xeno light up? Does it light up red or nothing at all??

You need to look under the dvd drive with your room light shut to see anything!

Last edited by toxic9,

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
So you need to remove the chip. Be gently please no not damage the drive too much.

You need to install xeno without soldering it onto the drive.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

29.jpg
Check my installations...

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
The problem with that installation method is that you can't test the solder points, because the chip are over the board...
Do you have a multimeter?

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
He wrote that the problem still occurs now even if the drive is not connected. I don't believe it's the install causing the issue. It's the front panel. Maybe damaged ribbon cable. I don't know. Check that ribbon cable though.

Leaving the thing unplugged overnight is unlikely to fix the issue either. It only takes a few seconds for for the clock and settings to reset once it is unplugged.

kai98yoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The problem with that installation method is that you can't test the solder points, because the chip are over the board...
Do you have a multimeter?
Yes, I have a multimeter.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

He wrote that the problem still occurs now even if the drive is not connected. I don't believe it's the install causing the issue. It's the front panel. Maybe damaged ribbon cable. I don't know. Check that ribbon cable though.

Leaving the thing unplugged overnight is unlikely to fix the issue either. It only takes a few seconds for for the clock and settings to reset once it is unplugged.
Maybe the issue occurs because the optical drive is not detected at all? That would be explain why the error occurs in both cases.

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country

Maybe the chip is causing the drive not being recognized, thats why the controllers not work even if the drive is disconnected.

Drive with faulty chip = drive disconnected.

I just can't remember if the controllers not working is a normal behaviour with the drive disconnected. But it's a possibility. Because he sais the controllers work for a bit on boot. Then the console fails to connect to the drive and freezes!?

Last edited by toxic9,

kai98yoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
At first I thought the controller does not work. But as I said I can choose the language with my controller if I'm fast enough. If just the controller input doesn't work there wouldn't be that error message that occurs always after the same amount of time. The only requirement for the popping up of the error message is that I get through the language selection.

Last edited by kai98yoshi,

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
At first I thought the controller does not work. But as I said I can choose the language with my controller if I'm fast enough. If just the controller input doesn't work there wouldn't be that error message that occurs always after the same amount of time.

Ok. Install the chip in a way you can troubleshoot the installation with a multimeter, or at least check the led blinking or not.

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
I have checked your chip picture. You filled with solder two holes completelly. That way you bridged several pins on the drive. That should be your mistake. Have you put some tape over pins 2,3,4 and 7,8,9 ?

Last edited by toxic9,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with... +2