GCN Xeno GC chip install problem - DVD drive doesn't work anymore?

kai98yoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello there,

I've installed a Xeno modchip to my gamecube. I don't know what went wrong. But everytime when I start the console this menu shows up instead of the normal Gamecube menu...

Can anybody help me?

Thank you for answers.

Have a nice day :)
20190608_125353.jpg
20190608_163933.jpg

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Possible dead CR2032? It would have also reset the settings if you removed the ribbon cable out where the controller ports are.
Last time I modded a Gamecube, I removed that battery and soldered in a battery socket.

As always, check your points or redo your work.

Reactions: Ryccardo

kai98yoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Possible dead CR2032? It would have also reset the settings if you removed the ribbon cable out where the controller ports are.
Last time I modded a Gamecube, I removed that battery and soldered in a battery socket.

As always, check your points or redo your work.
Thank you for your answer. Yes, I temporarily removed the ribbon cable where the controller ports are. What can I do now? I can't select anything with my controller when this menu pops up. Before I had installed the modchip/ opened my gamecube the controller worked 100%.

Last edited by kai98yoshi,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Try to power on the console with the optical drive not inserted, to confirm whether or not it is the problem

If the console still doesn't respond, make sure you reconnected properly the front panel (there's not much else to go wrong)

kai98yoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Try to power on the console with the optical drive not inserted, to confirm whether or not it is the problem

If the console still doesn't respond, make sure you reconnected properly the front panel (there's not much else to go wrong)
When the optical drive is not inserted, the same menu shows up and I also can't select anything.

kai98yoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Now I've recognized that the controller is working. I just have to be fast enough to press something before the controls stop working. It seems like there isn't a problem with the controller port. Apparently there is a problem with the console itself? Because after I choose a language very fastly the console boots up and displays a error message.
20190608_175241.jpg

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
I think you have the frontpanel flat cable not connected properly. Or a faulty frontpanel. Did you short anything while assembling all the parts together??

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Have you connected the metal plates that touch the frontpanel rear side??

kai98yoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think you have the frontpanel flat cable not connected properly. Or a faulty frontpanel. Did you short anything while assembling all the parts together??

Have you connected the metal plates that touch the frontpanel rear side??
Sorry, I'm not 100% sure which metal plates do you mean?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I would try to leave the front panel unplugged for the night (or, again after unplugging it, shorting the leftmost pin of the socket to the metal shell for some second) to have the SRAM lose power, then to reassemble the console (front panel + drive) and see if the situation improved - not holding my breath, though

kai98yoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Y
These two metal plates provide negative. Did you try with them connected?
Yes, I've tried with them connected.

I would try to leave the front panel unplugged for the night (or, again after unplugging it, shorting the leftmost pin of the socket to the metal shell for some second) to have the SRAM lose power, then to reassemble the console (front panel + drive) and see if the situation improved - not holding my breath, though
Can't it be that the error message only occurs because there is no optical drive detected?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can't it be that the error message only occurs because there is no optical drive detected?
Could be, that's why I said to try reconnecting the drive after clearing the SRAM - although I vaguely remember you could use the main menu (didn't try the initial setup, though) without a drive connected

kai98yoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Could be, that's why I said to try reconnecting the drive after clearing the SRAM - although I vaguely remember you could use the main menu (didn't try the initial setup, though) without a drive connected
But you think it doesn't have to do with the modchip installation itself, right?

Last edited by kai98yoshi,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
But you think it doesn't have to do with the modchip installation itself, right?
It may be the cause (defective chip putting an excessive load on the 3,3V line? assuming it's even connected to it, which it probably is), it's unlikely but you know Murphy's law :D

You also said the controllers still didn't work with the drive unplugged - I don't know if the GC uses self-resetting fuses (like the Wii does), but if that's the case, they should have started working again after leaving the console off for a while (although that could be measurable in days, in the worst case scenario, as seen in some raspberry pis)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and yes ik im stupid for using it