Your most disappointing video game sequel

disappointing-sequel.jpg

A great video game can be like lightning in a bottle. That one perfect game that comes out at the right time and place. A breakthrough title that rewrites the script and shatters expectations.

Then comes the sequel. With a publisher breathing down your neck and fan expectations sky-high, can any sequel really live up to that first legendary title?

Even the most revered video game studios have put out a blunder or misstep when it comes to their flagship franchises. Whether it's rushing a title to cash in on a lucrative holiday season or simply a limited budget or an unrealistic deadline - many video game sequels have left fans with a bitter taste in their mouths, either by missing the mark completely to just being "okay".

Obvious disappointing video game sequels include Duke Nukem Forever - a game that took 14 years to release to a triumphant "humph"; Nintendo's Metroid: Other M - a game with a laughably bad story and frustrating controls; Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link - a game that upended its predecessor and lost a lot of what made the first game so esteemed in the first place.

But, what are your most disappointing video game sequels? Did a sequel to a game ever resonate so poorly with you that you lost interest in the franchise altogether?

Let us know your most disappointing video game sequel in the comments below.

RyanAnayaMc

The ACE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know Call of Duty is generally disliked in this forum, but I'm a fan of the series. Regardless, the campaign for Black Ops 3 was terrible. World at War, Black Ops, and Black Ops II had a pretty good and cohesive story going for it, but Black Ops 3 had the worst campaign in the whole series. Its only tie to the previous games is the mention of the bad guy's name from Black Ops II only ONCE. Aside from that, it's an uninteresting story with very stupid dialogues, most notably "train go boom". Maybe that shitshow is why Black Ops 4 didn't have a campaign lmao

my2k2zx2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold on, you grew up with a 3DO?

Like, it was your childhood console?

…can you tell us more, please?

Born 1980, grew up in the golden age of gaming. I bought a 3DO when they were being blown out cheap at the back of gaming magazines. I think I got the System, Need for Speed and Escape from Monster Manor for $150ish.

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Born 1980, grew up in the golden age of gaming. I bought a 3DO when they were being blown out cheap at the back of gaming magazines. I think I got the System, Need for Speed and Escape from Monster Manor for $150ish.
Was it at its late stage/was discontinued already? How easy was it for you to find games to buy? Or was it easier to pirate?

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crysis 2. I have always loved the first– mainly for its story– but also for the exploration/world-building, characters, and of course graphics. Warhead was also very engaging.

The sequel, however, was just rather muddled and flat in comparison. Felt like a completely different game, more in the style of CoD. Never even bothered with the third game..

oBluEx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Halo 3. Not for the campaign though, as that was wonderful. It was the mess of the Multiplayer Online. It's amazing that Halo 3's hit registration was finally fixed 2-3 years ago. Made the online finally playable and I was back to my old god like Halo 2 self. Casuals or people that didn't play Halo 2 online from start to finish would not notice this and how awful the MP actually was.

my2k2zx2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was it at its late stage/was discontinued already? How easy was it for you to find games to buy? Or was it easier to pirate?
Late state for the 3DO, was around 1996-1997 when we got the system. Games were still available at places like Funcoland, Babbages, Software Etc. Home CDR burners were very expensive and having dialup internet did not help. Game rental was where it was at, we had 4-5 places in our town that had games for just about every system, was $2-$3 per night.

Last edited by my2k2zx2,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
my brain does not like to remember it's existance. My god the OST makes me want to scream.
You mean the same song just slightly changed?! Seriously, why? This brain also locked out the most of the memories of the game.

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
You mean the same song just slightly changed?! Seriously, why? This brain also locked out the most of the memories of the game.

I was about to go on a rant about how the OST want's to make me tear my ear drums out with the absolutely god awful instruments. But then I realized/re remembered that only some of the OST is as awful as here.
Still also doesn't fix that well, it's extremely bland and the level design is just... generic. Oh look, giant egg. I wonder I'm going to get a concussion and forget that this game existed.

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

I was about to go on a rant about how the OST want's to make me tear my ear drums out with the absolutely god awful instruments. But then I realized/re remembered that only some of the OST is as awful as here.
Still also doesn't fix that well, it's extremely bland and the level design is just... generic. Oh look, giant egg. I wonder I'm going to get a concussion and forget that this game existed.

I legit don’t remember any of OST because sold the game and went to piracy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4