OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
So now that the judge granted the TRO against geohot, what are your thoughts?

SCEA.png

Mine?

Geohot was being an ass but Sony's actions are just Unethical, Capitalist and just plain Facist
You can't put restrictions on units that You no longer own Sony, you gave away that right when you sent out those units.

Your's?

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What Sony is doing is perfectly valid. What the hacking community is doing is also perfectly valid. The way Geohotz went about his actions was retarded, and he deserves what he gets.

HI, I'M GEORGE HOTZ AND HERE ARE THE FRUITS OF WHAT SOME OTHER PEOPLE DID TO HACK THE PS3, BUT I'M GOING TO TAKE THE CREDIT AND SHINE THE LIGHT AWAY FROM THEM BECAUSE I'M MENTALLY HANDICAPPED.

/myopinion

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
They are both wrong. Posting the keys was unnecessary but there is no need for Sony to make a court case out of it and the fact they got a TRO on geohot is stupid, just shows what money can do in this day and age

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, geohot was being an ass, but Sony can't put restrictions on products that customers bought and because they claim that it will "cause irreparable damage to SCEA".

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Slyakin said:
Why the fuck can't we just let this die? The flow of court will silence this for good in a matter of months.
Because the flow of court is in Sony's control. Seriously, did Sony have to hire 6 Lawyers for this?

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony's temporary restraining order is part of a broader effort by corporations to limit the purchasing power of consumers in the digital and hardware market. The ability of consumers to do what they will with their purchased products must be defended at all costs.

The PlayStation 3, a device of great potential, has been, over the period of its life in the market, stripped of some of its most effective abilities, including PS2 backwards compatibility and OtherOS support. In their drive to safeguard their profits and ability to control the PS3, Sony has undermined their credibility and by consequence dug their own grave in this matter. Nor are they alone in these practices; Microsoft, Nintendo and Apple have played similar roles against their consumer base.

The homebrew/hacking community's opposition is historically necessary because it gives expression to the outrage over the exploitative business practices conducted by these conglomerates. They too must be defended at all costs. The freedom of the internet, or what is left of it, is at stake. The US state has already signaled that they will assist the capitalists in their hegemony: http://wsws.org/articles/2011/jan2011/inte-j31.shtml

The capitalist bourgeoisie's position is indefensible. However, I think it's too early to speak of fascism.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Well...y'know...if the piracy rate for current and past consoles wasn't so high...

This probably wouldn't have been a problem...

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Why does piracy happen?
Why do hackers hack game consoles?
Why did Sony slowly deprive the PS3 of its features?
What do gamers want from their consoles?
What do gamers want from their games?
Why are the price of new games these days so damn expensive?

There are a few other related questions, but I'm too lazy to list them all. The main issue is that there are 2 types of philosophies in the industry - those who make games/consoles as a business to make money, and those who make games/consoles as an artform to express ideas and entertain the players. Sony, quite clearly, do not care at all for its consumer base and are only looking to protect their products, and far too aggressively at that.

I won't comment on Hotz's case, since that's for the courts to decide. I just hope Sony don't get a complete victory (or even half of one).

Fireballo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only thing Sony will get out of this is that hackers will post through an alias. Hotz is getting exactly what he wants. He's becoming a rock star and will likely make a carrier off this exploit and the resulting legal battle. In five years Sony will probably hire Hotz consulting to help them create a more secure console.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
lilsypha said:
What Sony is doing is perfectly valid. What the hacking community is doing is also perfectly valid. The way Geohotz went about his actions was retarded, and he deserves what he gets.

HI, I'M GEORGE HOTZ AND HERE ARE THE FRUITS OF WHAT SOME OTHER PEOPLE DID TO HACK THE PS3, BUT I'M GOING TO TAKE THE CREDIT AND SHINE THE LIGHT AWAY FROM THEM BECAUSE I'M MENTALLY HANDICAPPED.

/myopinion
Hey lil, you forgot "HURR DURR, ALSO GIMME ME A WORK OR I'LL KEEP HACKING UR SYSTEMZ LOL"
smileipb2.png

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, Sony has their right to try and protect their systems. I wouldn't say this is the most ethical route, but it's a route. I don't really care.

George Hotz comes off to be a dick though. Kinda acts like the "martyr" of the hacking community.

I find more people don't REALLY see this as an injustice and more so just see "Sony" in the title and want another stage where they can rip on them.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hotz and Sony both have Rights. Its just a matter of drawing the line.
In some ways Sony has already lost they just have to be humble admit their mistakes and keep going forward.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
I mean, Sony has their right to try and protect their systems. I wouldn't say this is the most ethical route, but it's a route. I don't really care.

George Hotz comes off to be a dick though. Kinda acts like the "martyr" of the hacking community.

I find more people don't REALLY see this as an injustice and more so just see "Sony" in the title and want another stage where they can rip on them.

Sony deserves to be "rip[ped] on" because of their effort in throttling consumer purchasing power along with Nintendo, Microsoft, et. all. Please don't reduce consumer outrage to your dim and narrow cynicism. On a slightly different note, it seems George Hotz is becoming a lifeless strawman of sorts.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Somebody remind me again how being a douche means you should lose a case in a court of law?

I mean I don't exactly study law, but it seems a lot of people here need to learn how the fucking legal system works.

EDIT: You know what, I've made my point, I'm out of this thread. Anybody that would let their judgment be clouded to the point of forgetting how the legal system works and claiming somebody should win or lose a case based on their attitude is not anybody you can reason with.

No wonder the US is a constitutional republic instead of a democracy. If you let the average person actually vote on laws and shit the whole world would crumble.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
I'm still unclear on which laws geohot broke
wink.gif
To me it seems like Sony just wants to get the word out that their PS3 is more awesome now.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I hope geofag loses all his money and is so poor he has to live on the street. Why? Because then I'll never have to see his annoyingly obnoxious face ever again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already +1