Yuzu Anti-Piracy?

Nakamichi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What struck me as odd is how staunchly anti-piracy the Yuzu discord was
you couldnt share anything, link anything or discuss leaked pre-release titles even
meanwhile the devs were doing exactly that, hosting those exact files and even using stolen switch sdks to further their emulator, iirc
is that how it usually is with emulation development?
or is this an extreme edge-case?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Why they acted like they did? Easy... Money!
So yeah kind of an extreme case for a cutting edge emulator. But they had to do these kind of things since Yuzu was a HLE application compared to LLE emulator (Which it seems like Ryujinx seem to be)

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What struck me as odd is how staunchly anti-piracy the Yuzu discord was
you couldnt share anything, link anything or discuss leaked pre-release titles even
meanwhile the devs were doing exactly that, hosting those exact files and even using stolen switch sdks to further their emulator, iirc
is that how it usually is with emulation development?
or is this an extreme edge-case?
In this case it was a do-as-I-say kind of thing--sort of like if a drug cartel labeled and sold cocaine as "salt" so that they could fall on that if they got caught. Neither example actually holds any weight when combated with actual law enforcement pressure.

In this case it was exponentially easier for the devs to pirate Switch stuff for hacking purposes, and it gained them more money in the process. However, admitting as much would paint a target on their ass which is why their user end was so "anti-piracy".
And, once again, it didn't end up saving them when Nintendo's lawyers came knocking.

Nakamichi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
is this then what the scene is really like?
everyone saying theyre absolutely anti-piracy and then really being the biggest pirates of them all?

AdenTheThird

The Apathetical Atheist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is this then what the scene is really like?
everyone saying theyre absolutely anti-piracy and then really being the biggest pirates of them all?
I'd wager not to the extent that Yuzu was.
Most people here have pirated games. I'm willing to bet you have too, to some extent.
However, game archival for future play is a legitimate reason to support emulation and many people emulate with that in mind and do not pirate.
Most people see piracy as relatively inoffensive/victimless crime and don't have any problem pirating old N64 games, etc.
The difference with Yuzu was their heavy emphasis on donations/Patreon, which combined with their admission of owning and distributing games before release, was blatant profit over piracy (since pirating the games/donating to Yuzu let you access them before everyone else). I think, anyway.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
GBAtemp is anti-piracy but pirates frequent here. Piracy happens in the homebrew/modding/emulation community, but that doesn’t mean it’s inherently pro-piracy.
As for the Yuzu team, honestly rather two-faced of them to be anti-piracy on Discord while also catering to pirates behind a paywall. Really shows where they were just greedy and only using the mask of “anti-piracy” to save face

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GBAtemp is anti-piracy but pirates frequent here. Piracy happens in the homebrew/modding/emulation community, but that doesn’t mean it’s inherently pro-piracy.
As for the Yuzu team, honestly rather two-faced of them to be anti-piracy on Discord while also catering to pirates behind a paywall. Really shows where they were just greedy and only using the mask of “anti-piracy” to save face
They also never listen or read the rules that refrain them from doing so. We get a lot of people like that from time-to-time.

Nakamichi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
wasnt gbatemp a site for rom downloads back in the day?
Post automatically merged:

I'd wager not to the extent that Yuzu was.
Most people here have pirated games. I'm willing to bet you have too, to some extent.
However, game archival for future play is a legitimate reason to support emulation and many people emulate with that in mind and do not pirate.
Most people see piracy as relatively inoffensive/victimless crime and don't have any problem pirating old N64 games, etc.
The difference with Yuzu was their heavy emphasis on donations/Patreon, which combined with their admission of owning and distributing games before release, was blatant profit over piracy (since pirating the games/donating to Yuzu let you access them before everyone else). I think, anyway.
oh wow, thats even worse! i had no idea they were spreading the games themselves. Jesus...

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
wasnt gbatemp a site for rom downloads back in the day?
It was for about a year or so until they started getting rid of that, as it may get them into trouble with the law. They did, however, continue to post information about scene releases until that later disappeared around 2010 onwards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT +1