Yuzu emulator shutting down, paying Nintendo 2.4 million in lawsuit settlement

maxresdefault-391830162.jpg

Just last week, on Tuesday, February 26th, 2024, news broke out about the Yuzu emulator team being sued by none other than Nintendo themselves, with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system.

Today, in a rather surprisingly quick manner, it seems like Tropic Haze LLC., the company behind the Yuzu team, has reached a settlement with Nintendo in regards to the lawsuit. According to a recent official document uploaded just a few minutes ago, Tropic Haze will pay up 2.4 million USD in favour to Nintendo, with both parties agreeing in the settlement and its amount.

UPDATE: According to the proposed Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction document, Yuzu as a whole in its current form will cease to exist, meaning no further development and prohibition of any distribution of built or source code forms of it.

:arrow: Official document of the settlement
:arrow: Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction

0-volt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Good idea. But this will never happen. Even their crappy online "service" is reason enough for me not to renew my membership. The games are good, but I am not willing to pay for it. And I know for a fact that Nintendo won't change anything on the next console. The games will run with p2p again. But there are enough children ;)

But that's offtopic.
In reality, Yes but 2 questions:
1. Why failure Wii u or VirtualBoy?
2. Why not buy Wii u in the cycle life?
It's happen!.

Nintendo Is a company and I am a costumer. If i not like the services and products. Why do buy it? There is many alternatives more cheapers or free and More effective than Nintendo, in this case, emulators on 4k and 60 FPS that better. Why nintendo dont work? Meanwhile the N company are most límited and restricted. And the main reason to say: i dont like play Nintendo anymore.

Nintendo games are too much expensive.

Reactions: cloud-strife777

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I also think patreon has little to nothing to do with this, more like they want to set an example of one person to put fear into the other. Now see the other emulator shut down by default without resistance and before this company gets to them. This is exactly what they want.
By the patreon being one of the smoking guns, I don't mean strictly they had a patreon, most of the emus these days do, but more how they used it, creating it as a sort of storefront to purchase early access builds in essence. I've not investigated the early access model or even their discord personally, but I've heard second hand accounts that like, they might have been releasing through the EA system builds custom made to work with 0-day releases like TOTK? Like yeah, it took a little while til the stable release was able to run the game, but the people paying were able to play it right off? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there, again these are just things I heard that may or may not be true.

YoureALoser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was sort of silly to believe they were going not get fucked. Not a legal precedent, however. But, still, fucked up.
There is legal precedent. Proper emulation is protected in USA. Yuzu developers were scummy. I'd not be surprised if Yuzu didn't contain bits of Nintendo's own code.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is legal precedent. Proper emulation is protected in USA. Yuzu developers were scummy. I'd not be surprised if Yuzu didn't contain bits of Nintendo's own code.
so if ryujinx in fact DIDN'T contain code from N but if Yuzu did/might've at least ryujinx "might" have a little more stable ground legally
Post automatically merged:

Why are you even here
i was wondering the same thing about that guy

• Wow
Reactions: Something whatever

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shit so Atmosphere and Hekate (the very foundation of hacker v1 switches) could be in danger too?

Possibly. People tend to forget that, in the U.S. anyway, consoles aren't treated the same as phones when it comes to jailbreaking. Not sure how it's treated in other countries., but I'm kind of surprised that Atmosphere, and especially Hekate, haven't been pursued by Nintendo yet. But who knows? Maybe they already have a case ready against them, and were using their case against Yuzu to test the waters and see if they can pursue further.

1709592580485.png

From page 203 of Section 1201 Rulemaking: Sixth Triennial Proceeding to Determin Exemptions to the Prohibition on Circumvention
https://cdn.loc.gov/copyright/1201/2015/registers-recommendation.pdf

Last edited by Delerious,

Dakangel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
In reality, Yes but 2 questions:
1. Why failure Wii u or VirtualBoy?
2. Why not buy Wii u in the cycle life?
It's happen!.

Nintendo Is a company and I am a costumer. If i not like the services and products. Why do buy it? There is many alternatives more cheapers or free and More effective than Nintendo, in this case, emulators on 4k and 60 FPS that better. Why nintendo dont work? Meanwhile the N company are most límited and restricted. And the main reason to say: i dont like play Nintendo anymore.

Nintendo games are too much expensive.
Because, as a company, they need to protect their property, both hardware and software in it's life cycle.
On the other hand, you as a consumer can also sue them for offering a product with programmed obsolescence that eventually took away a service with which the product was offered.
Like online on Wii, Wii U, 3DS and in the future the Switch.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thankfully Yuzu is open source, there's no way people are just gonna let it die. Shame the original team is effectively dead now though.

I imagine their Patreon earnings probably didn't put them in the best light, but that by itself probably wasn't enough. Emulation isn't illegal or infringing (if done correctly), so monetizing it is fine.

Can't help but feel like Reddit is largely to blame for this. Being able to simply point to the Yuzu reddit makes it all too easy to convince the court of their "it's designed for piracy" argument, which I still think is BS. The Yuzu reddit is unofficial, Yuzu Team had no involvement in it. But the courts don't necessarily care about that, sometimes it comes down to who can argue their side better.

I'm not reading that 41 page document so I'll wait for someone like MVG to summarize it all. I'm sure there was something more to it that ended up tipping the scales in Nintendo's favor.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
as soon as they start getting money off of it, thats where nintendo jumps in again
You can ask for donations toward cost of living and the like without issue, but the Yuzu devs were in a weak position because they discussed early releases and where to acquire ROMs in public spaces. So Nintendo had a strong case that they were profiting from Nintendo games, rather than just being paid to continue working on their own open source software.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ill NEVER (and never did) understand why on earth emu developers ask for money or acept payment for such tools thag are already in a gray zone.
emulators should be passion projects, not someones means of living.

This was one of my arguments when people found out they were being sued. People already know Nintendo is pretty damn trigger-happy. Why paint a target on yourself by accepting donations and rewarding those people with the latest build of a software that Nintendo REALLY doesn't like?

You can ask for donations toward cost of living and the like without issue, but the Yuzu devs were in a weak position because they discussed early releases and where to acquire ROMs in public spaces. So Nintendo had a strong case that they were profiting from Nintendo games, rather than just being paid to continue working on their own open source software.

Well, and even if they weren't profiting off of it, the money was still being used to as a means to foster the development of software that Nintendo didn't like. Even if it was used to reduce their financial burden while working on the project, someone was still getting paid to work on the project.

Last edited by Delerious,
Reactions: Metoroid0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol