Yuzu emulator shutting down, paying Nintendo 2.4 million in lawsuit settlement

maxresdefault-391830162.jpg

Just last week, on Tuesday, February 26th, 2024, news broke out about the Yuzu emulator team being sued by none other than Nintendo themselves, with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system.

Today, in a rather surprisingly quick manner, it seems like Tropic Haze LLC., the company behind the Yuzu team, has reached a settlement with Nintendo in regards to the lawsuit. According to a recent official document uploaded just a few minutes ago, Tropic Haze will pay up 2.4 million USD in favour to Nintendo, with both parties agreeing in the settlement and its amount.

UPDATE: According to the proposed Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction document, Yuzu as a whole in its current form will cease to exist, meaning no further development and prohibition of any distribution of built or source code forms of it.

:arrow: Official document of the settlement
:arrow: Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction

YoureALoser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised no one has specifically mentioned that Yuzu probably broke fair use.

Note: I am not a lawyer.

Really dumbed down:
  • Nonprofit or transformative
    • Definitely qualified as commercial (paywalled early access builds). Transformative would be hard to argue over it.
  • What is the nature of the original copyrighted work
    • Current flagship games
  • How much copyrighted work was used in the final product
    • Zero (a lot of people seem to be focusing on this one point)
  • How is the market value of the work affected
    • Definitely a strong argument that the market value was negatively affected
So Yuzu probably met 1 or 1.5 out of 4 points, which is not even close to enough (you usually need at least 3.5, sometimes 3 if all three are very strong).

By contrast, you could do much better with an old non-commercial emulator for a discontinued platform (nonprofit; obsolete game preservation; zero; little to no market to negatively affect).
No truth to this. Doesn't matter if they made $$$ from an emulator or not. Your logic is, if a developer made a penny then it's illegal. Do you know how many people have been paid for working on emulators? A LOT.

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok but still you know that every certificate is unique to each cart there's no way Nintendo will just not notice it
Yeah exactly that is what I said... They will ban to look legit but all they cared about was the 349 for an OLED they got a customer to buy. Migswitch is gonna make people buy extra switches and especially modshops!!! Like I said this is worse than yuzu 5 dollar patreon...

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I love all the pirates and theives getting mad now thet can't pirate these games. Imagine it was your game you spent 6 years making over 100 million dollars and thousands and thousands of hours of work and someone is playing it almost 2 weeks before coming out.
Is there an echo in here?

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

petran79

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I love all the pirates and theives getting mad now thet can't pirate these games. Imagine it was your game you spent 6 years making over 100 million dollars and thousands and thousands of hours of work and someone is playing it almost 2 weeks before coming out.
who said they can't?
Only desparate companies resort to desparate measures

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Meanwhile people with a modded Switch:

1709646554337.jpeg

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys stomp complaining seriously... yes Yuzu is down but remember the PS4 scene is the same thing. Just be thankful it can play all games currently and there isn't really new titles coming on the switch that's note worthy...

On the flipside Ryujinx is still up but for how long idk..

On a side more can newer games be played on older firmware with keys ? Like how they did for Sxos?

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Im serious last time when i tried to play Pokémon sword and shield i clearly saw a polygon grid on some models that's not how it's supposed to run even on real hardware
I know I was just joking, but for me it doesn't run much different from Yuzu so I think it's most likely linked to how your stuff is configured. I even heard some people say it runs better on Ryujinx
Post automatically merged:

Remember kids. Discord logs everything! (found on reddit)

View attachment 423933
Damn, I completely forgot about the online thing hahahaha what a mess that was

Meanwhile Ryujinx allows you to play with modded consoles, what a great thing that is

Last edited by LightBeam,

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
boo fucking hoo at nintendo losing money. they'll survive because they have their loyal sheep to buy their games no matter what even if it is the same games over and over or OLD ports at FULL price

DKAngel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
they are the same ppl that would not have bought it anyways so really no loss if a purchase was never going to be made

Reactions: Henx and Bladexdsl

HinaNaru Cutie

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Just last week, on Tuesday, February 26th, 2024, news broke out about the Yuzu emulator team being sued by none other than Nintendo themselves, with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system.

Today, in a rather surprisingly quick manner, it seems like Tropic Haze LLC., the company behind the Yuzu team, has reached a settlement with Nintendo in regards to the lawsuit. According to a recent official document uploaded just a few minutes ago, Tropic Haze will pay up 2.4 million USD in favour to Nintendo, with both parties agreeing in the settlement and its amount.

UPDATE: According to the proposed Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction document, Yuzu as a whole in its current form will cease to exist, meaning no further development and prohibition of any distribution of built or source code forms of it.

:arrow: Official document of the settlement
:arrow: Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction

for f sakes this is cancer news, i am gonna drink (chocolate milk) to the entire backlash they well deserve, and i am gonna be happy for the loss of all the customers that leave shartendo because of this, and by the way for those who aren't aware garbage nintendo of us is located in one of the more corrupt states out there called california, place is a litereal dumpster so now that i am aware of this it does not surprise me this happened and all the illegal lawsuits this corporate garbage company has done over the years.

its cause of the state there located at that allows such corruption.

• Haha
Reactions: Henx and maxfreak

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
for f sakes this is cancer news, i am gonna drink (chocolate milk) to the entire backlash they well deserve, and i am gonna be happy for the loss of all the customers that leave shartendo because of this, and by the way for those who aren't aware garbage nintendo of us is located in one of the more corrupt states out there called california, place is a litereal dumpster so now that i am aware of this it does not surprise me this happened and all the illegal lawsuits this corporate garbage company has done over the years.

its cause of the state there located at that allows such corruption.
What the fuck did I just read??

Reactions: maxfreak

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You mean that millions of people have bought your game and one guy is playing it early because someone leaked it ? What a tragedy
(at most it was like, 4 days earlier, not 2 weeks)

Who cares of there are some people playing it early, it's still a massive success, most people who pirate wouldn't have bought it either way. That's why some argue that piracy isn't theft, because for theft to be commited you have to ... actually steal something, meaning you have something, I take it and you don't have it anymore, you lost money.

Also, emulators couldn't play leaked games without bugs and those bugs would be fixed at release date. It's true for both Ryujinx and Yuzu, they made it pretty clear. Everytime a game would leak, people would ask for fixes and they would say the same stuff : not working on fixes for leaked games.

Anyway, why do I even bother to respond to that really ? It's not like it's emulators' fault that Nintendo has massive leak issues lmao

Reactions: Henx and Bladexdsl

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All this over keys 🔑 that we don't own on a 300 dollar system we all bought??? Ok we own the system but we don't own the keys which was the problem for switch emulation right??? Well what makes a nintendo switch legal to sell to the public then? Emulators are legal yet to have these keys are not yet it's ok use the illegal keys to play on a retail switch yet not on an emulator? Also these keys are unique only if the firmware changes for example let's say firmware 18.0.0 drops the keys are the same globally for said firmware yet they are illegaly in our possession with every system update inside our device we all purchased man ID roast nintendo in court seriously? But keys for 17.0.1 are different but also the same globally so its not like your sharing a different key because they are all the same... How can you sell a console to the public. If you consider part of it illegal for the customer use with a software that is legal and at the end-of-life its a Lil ridiculous that's the weird part... Title wise there is nothing left but princess peach showtime.... it's crazy let's say I took a switch removed motherboard got cloned board made with pcb way so it fits but I wrote my own os not horizon os added beefier graphics and cpu and had it running retroarch with heavier emulators post on youtube... Nintendo would then say I don't own the joycons the chassis the screen or battery take me to court saying it's illegal I'm using parts of the system that's illegal lol bullshit... I own a 34000 dollar car and own every part of it but my 349 oled I don't own every part of it mess is trifling... On a good note I hope someone continues yuzu and bypasses the keycheck completely... There have been emulators in the past that run games without bios files or keys 🔑 so anything is possible....

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ryujinx is Brazilian so safe from DMCA

Tbh at this point, anything located in the US is at risk of getting struck down by Nintendo.
All developers that have even the most remote association with Nintendo stuff should be hosted elsewhere, and those that are for sure poking at the imbeciles at Nintendo, should without a doubt host in China or Russia to be absolutely safe.

munnimann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system

You may think of these news and of Nintendo what you want, but why act ignorant about it? Maybe it's for journalistic style, but it's not a "claim" that Yuzu allowed people to play leaked games early or that it enables piracy, it is an established fact that everyone active on this board is aware of. To make any attempt at denying or downplaying this aspect is intellectually dishonest. I pirate games and I don't feel the need to perform mental gymnastics to morally justify my actions to myself or other people online as a lot of the comments here do.

munnimann

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's why some argue that piracy isn't theft, because for theft to be commited you have to ... actually steal something, meaning you have something, I take it and you don't have it anymore, you lost money.

That's a poor argument though, it's just arguing semantics. Instead of theft you can call it acquisition of intellectual property through illegal means, if that rolls off your tongue easier. It's the action that is considered condemnable by some, not what you call it.
People on this board have a rather flexible opinion about the concept of intellectual property as well, if you remember the outrage at Team Xecuter for "stealing" open source code to use in their proprietary product.

I agree with you on the minor impact that piracy has on the profits of major companies though and that copyright law and related laws need reformation.

Reactions: LightBeam

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You may think of these news and of Nintendo what you want, but why act ignorant about it? Maybe it's for journalistic style, but it's not a "claim" that Yuzu allowed people to play leaked games early or that it enables piracy, it is an established fact that everyone active on this board is aware of. To make any attempt at denying or downplaying this aspect is intellectually dishonest. I pirate games and I don't feel the need to perform mental gymnastics to morally justify my actions to myself or other people online as a lot of the comments here do.

Because the argument falls flat on its face when you realize that you actually need a hacked Switch to dump the game in the first place, which is how all games that had broken street dates were dumped. So if anything, it's Switch hardware itself that allows piracy, not Yuzu, since without it there'd be no game dumps from the get-go. You also need the keys dumped from an original Switch, so there's that too, and let's not forget that a great number of people also do piracy on hacked Switches.

• Love
Reactions: Ligeia and gisel213

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @The Real Jdbye, same but for... Different reasons