OP
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Well Im not one to blog generally, but I thought I would make a quick blog about the Zalman cooler I got and fitted to my Asus GTX 480 graphics card today. For those who aren't familiar with the Fermi series of cards by Nvidia, and especially the GTX 480 series, they are power house cards but run notoriously hot. In some instances even reaching 90c + when playing some games. Running metro 2033 I was easily topping 80c with no overclock, and wouldn't even think about overclocking with the stock cooling it came with.

I already had a Zalman cooler fitted to my cpu, which works beautifully, so I decided to go with Zalman for my GTX. An image of my CPU cooler fitted in my pc is bellow.

ss20110107151452.jpg

Anyway dismantling the GTX was fairly straight forward thankfully, but there was thermal paste all over the place when I opened it up. I was expecting a neater job from Asus seeing as they are a very good company for this sort of thing. Pictures of a stock GTX 480 and my GTX with no heatsink can be seen below. Notice the thermal paste they used which was all over the place, and on the top left the GTX's fan, which although fairly small is loud as hell, and doesn't do a very good job of cooling the thing.

ss20110211002255.png

ss20110210202905.jpg

Fitting the Zalman was fairly easy, and I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be doing it considering the price of the card (roughly $400). The only tricky part was putting thermal paste on all its little chips, while making sure there was no overflow when I popped the Zalmans heatsink on. Anyway here is the finished product!
biggrin.gif

zalman480.jpg

Running Furmark on stock, and with the stock fan on 100% speed I was getting temperatures of 90c+. With the Zalman on the lowest fan speed I am getting 75c, while on full blast Im reaching less than 65c. And on full blast the Zalman fans are extremely quiet, unlike the stock fan which sounded like a vacuum cleaner.

All in all Im very happy, and now, to overclock!
hrth.gif

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only after market cooler I ever fitted was a Zalman. Damn good. It outlasted the GPU.

DSC00134.jpg

Check out the weedy stock cooler next to it.
smile.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sexay card, you got there, p1ngy
wub.gif

I still have the stock cooling fan on my GTX260 SP216 myself
tongue.gif
My card is something like 60°C on idle
unsure.gif

Maybe I should fit a new cooling fan on it, but I'll probably just wait for a GTX560 or something.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sk8mystery23 said:
Zalman products are tops. I plan on getting something like this for my cpu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835118074

Mmmmm.
alot of reviews sites have coolers that cost half as much beating it by a little bit, and others that are like $5 cheaper beating it by a significant amount

the Tuniq/Sunbeam core contact freezer is one of the best out there and only cost $40

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
raulpica said:
Sexay card, you got there, p1ngy
wub.gif

I still have the stock cooling fan on my GTX260 SP216 myself
tongue.gif
My card is something like 60°C on idle
unsure.gif

Maybe I should fit a new cooling fan on it, but I'll probably just wait for a GTX560 or something.

My old 2GB HD 4870 ran at about the same temperature, but I could live with that because it wasn't really affecting my internal case temperatures that much. But the GTX was turning my PC into an oven and the noise was unbearable, so I had to do something about it.

And yeah I find it sexy too.
ph34r.gif

Rydian said:
That's a hell of an improvement!

It couldn't really get any worse.
smileipb2.png

Joe88 said:
QUOTE(sk8mystery23 @ Feb 11 2011, 01:05 AM)
Zalman products are tops. I plan on getting something like this for my cpu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835118074

Mmmmm.
alot of reviews sites have coolers that cost half as much beating it by a little bit, and others that are like $5 cheaper beating it by a significant amount

the Tuniq/Sunbeam core contact freezer is one of the best out there and only cost $40

Well the thing about Zalmans that appeals to me is the design as well as the performance. The performance is great, maybe there are better out there, but I would rather have something that is pleasing to the eye as well as functional. The Tuniq/Sunbeam core contact freezer may work great and cost less, but its a fugly hunk of metal with a big fan screwed on. And considering I have a big clear perspex panel on the side of my pc, I want something that is nice to look at.

So if I had the choice of going with either this:

ss20110211062538.png

Or this.

ss20110211062650.png

I would go with the Zalman.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la