Small 2.5 inch drive enclosure for Wii U HDD

zero50

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hello! I've installed Tiramisu on my Wii U and I want to add games on it.
I got a 1tb wd blue in 2.5 inch form factor but to my surprise I can't find any simple hdd enclosures for that size that have their own power supply (and are not usb powered)...

The only small and externally powered enclosure I was able to find is the LogiLink UA0285 which supports 2 2.5 inch drives and can do raid0, raid1 and jbod...
Would this work with the wii u?

(I should mention that I'm only interested in standard wii u games and vc injections.)

Thank you.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm asking if the Logilink will work with only one drive in it. Will the Wii u recognise the drive?

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not sure about the Logilink (Wii U and USB storage are a topic for its own) but the cheapest thing you find on Alibaba might (or might not: Again. Wii U and USB storage is a thing on it's own) do the trick.

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
just need a sata to usb adapter, just make sure it has the other usb cable for power.

1661640778929.png

zero50

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
just need a sata to usb adapter, just make sure it has the other usb cable for power.

View attachment 324679
I see! My SO won't like those plain cables in the living room entertainment center though:(
Just need some enclosure to put the disc inside... It seems like 2.5 inch enclosures with external power do not get manufactured anymore since usb3 can provide enough power for those small drives...

zero50

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I could resort to a 2.5 inch enclosure and get a Y cable to power it but I've read around the forum that that is not recommended as it might fry the wii u?

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Define "fry the Wii U". It might not provide enough power, so you might get I/O issues but in that case you can just grab a (powerfull) wall charger and connect the power-only end of the Y-Cable to that.

zero50

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
hmm, I actually already use an power adapter that has usb ports on it, one port powers my snes mini.
Do you think that could work with the y-cable?

I actually found an enclosure that ticks all my boxes on amazon de, but it doesn't include the power cable (which costs an additional 7.99 euro)

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I could resort to a 2.5 inch enclosure and get a Y cable to power it but I've read around the forum that that is not recommended as it might fry the wii u?
i've used a y power cable without issues on my wii u, as long as its a 2.5 inch drive it'll be fine. even enclosures for 2.5 hdd don't have additional power cable as it's not needed

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@sudeki300 Many drives seems to work with a Y-cable but some seem to draw a bit more than 1 A (2 x 500 mA, so the max 2 ports on the Wii U are able to deliver). So @zero50 Try it with a Y-cable and in case you have rare, random issues (software crashes, esp while loading or saving) try connecting the power only end to your power adapter with USB ports (can't tell if this will work through as I don't know how many mA can be drawn from that one).

zero50

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
@sudeki300 Many drives seems to work with a Y-cable but some seem to draw a bit more than 1 A (2 x 500 mA, so the max 2 ports on the Wii U are able to deliver). So @zero50 Try it with a Y-cable and in case you have rare, random issues (software crashes, esp while loading or saving) try connecting the power only end to your power adapter with USB ports (can't tell if this will work through as I don't know how many mA can be drawn from that one).
hmm so do you think a well-reviewed enclosure with a y-cable is a better option than a more obscure one that has a dc in port + dc to usb cable?

Both cost about the same...

I can't seem to find a y- cable with all male connectors on amazon.de though!
Closest I could find has one female and two male connectors..

I guess I could connect the cable supplied with the enclosure to the female port and the male ends to either the wii u or the wii u and the power adapter usb port... That should work, right?

Thanks for your help!

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really can't tell what will work, esp as the Wii U doesn't seem to be 100% standart conform. I mean for me a brand adapter didn't work but the cheapest sh*t from alibaba does the job...
I can't seem to find a y- cable with all male connectors on amazon.de though!
Yes, they are hard to find these days. Your best bet is to search for "USB 3 Y cable A to A" or similar terms. Yes, I say USB 3 cause A to A is way more common on USB 3 and A is backwards compatible between USB 3 and 2.
In case you really can't find one I think I still have one or two of these cables around somewhere, so could ship it to you. DM me for more informations. ;)

P.S. To the ones saying 2.5 drives don't need Y cables, esp not with USB 3: The USB 3 Y cables I have where all sold with big brand enclosures... Why did they ship them with the enclosures when not needed? :P

Reactions: mv522

zero50

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I really can't tell what will work, esp as the Wii U doesn't seem to be 100% standart conform. I mean for me a brand adapter didn't work but the cheapest sh*t from alibaba does the job...

Yes, they are hard to find these days. Your best bet is to search for "USB 3 Y cable A to A" or similar terms. Yes, I say USB 3 cause A to A is way more common on USB 3 and A is backwards compatible between USB 3 and 2.
In case you really can't find one I think I still have one or two of these cables around somewhere, so could ship it to you. DM me for more informations. ;)

P.S. To the ones saying 2.5 drives don't need Y cables, esp not with USB 3: The USB 3 Y cables I have where all sold with big brand enclosures... Why did they ship them with the enclosures when not needed? :P
Still no luck on amazon.de! But I managed to find one in a small web shop in my country but it sells for 16 euro + shipping:ohnoes:
I think I'm gonna take my chances with the power cable + obscure enclosure combo since I can return them easily if they don't work...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQqCfuxKoE