256 or 512... what to do? Advice please

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my first post in this group although I've been a member since it's conception

I apologise if my question has been asked many times before, but here goes

Should I get the 256 or 512 model??

I could technically afford the 512 but it will leave me low on savings, the 256 looks a good option but I'm worried about running out of space

In the opinion of you guys, the actual owners, is it worth the extra cost for the 512 to have a "better" screen and the extra storage?

EDIT..... If I did go for the 512 with the supposed better screen, would it still be advisable to put a tempered glass screen protector??

I think I'm ready to place my order but would love to get some advice, opinions and general feelings / thoughts from those in the know

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Xzi

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
512GB and 256GB model have different type of screens.

Thanks for this link, I've actually watched this one and a couple of others to be honest.... I'd really like to get some feedback from real owners of this group, people who're using their decks daily and how the feel

What model did you go for?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this link, I've actually watched this one and a couple of others to be honest.... I'd really like to get some feedback from real owners of this group, people who're using their decks daily and how the feel

What model did you go for?

512GB model even though I upgraded the SSD to 2TB.

Reactions: peteruk

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
512GB model even though I upgraded the SSD to 2TB.

oh wow!! I imagine a 2tb in that form factor would've set you back a fair amount

what are your honest opinions on that matte screen and did you add a tempered glass protector?

TY

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh wow!! I imagine a 2tb in that form factor would've set you back a fair amount

what are your honest opinions on that matte screen and did you add a tempered glass protector?

TY

Yea the SSD cost like $600 back then when I bought it , now a day it is around $400, as for which one to pick it ultimately come down to which screen you prefer, the 512GB has it own line of tempered glass you need since the screen is anti glare, so you should look into that, if your goal is to upgrade the internal drive, you should consider the 64GB vs the 512GB.

I used the magglass anti glare one for the 512GB

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Went with the 512gb model, unless you want the anti glare screen don't pick this one up, having more storage is nice but you can get a 400gb micro sd for $40 if you get low on space.

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well thank you @Hayato0125 @_v3 @Chary I really do appreciate all of your advice, this is what I wanted and needed to hear from normal every day folk

I'm still really torn tbh although I'm leaning towards the 256 model... I have a brand new 512gb msd in the post and a couple of brand new 1tb ssd drives I could always connect to a dock

I think it's going to come down to the screen ultimately, weather it's worth that extra cost for the anti glare screen and to be completely honest it's extremely unlikely I'd ever use it outside

Perhaps I've just talked myself in to the 256 :unsure:

Reactions: Chary

krakenx

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a 256GB Steam Deck with a 1TB microSD. It's easy to tell Steam to use the microSD to install to, and 256GB is plenty for messing around with stuff in desktop mode.

I haven't seen a 512GB model, so I can't compare the screen, but the screen on the 256GB is nice. I've used it outside just fine, but I haven't used it in direct sunlight. I don't have a screen protector.

The load times are definitely longer loading games off the microSD, but I'm used to the load times on a 7200RPM drive on my PC, which are longer still.

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 256GB Steam Deck with a 1TB microSD. It's easy to tell Steam to use the microSD to install to, and 256GB is plenty for messing around with stuff in desktop mode.

I haven't seen a 512GB model, so I can't compare the screen, but the screen on the 256GB is nice. I've used it outside just fine, but I haven't used it in direct sunlight. I don't have a screen protector.

The load times are definitely longer loading games off the microSD, but I'm used to the load times on a 7200RPM drive on my PC, which are longer still.

Perfect, appreciate your input.... pretty sold on the 256 model, I can basically afford to comfortably get a dock, screen protector and still be comfortably under the 512 price

krakenx

Trophies
XP
Country
You might want to look into a generic USB-C hub with HDMI out instead of the official dock. You could save some pretty significant money there. There is no need for 4k60 because the Steam deck isn't going to push that many fps at that resolution.

The Steam Deck comes with a really nice case, so I don't see the need for a screen protector, but those probably aren't that expensive.

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You might want to look into a generic USB-C hub with HDMI out instead of the official dock. You could save some pretty significant money there. There is no need for 4k60 because the Steam deck isn't going to push that many fps at that resolution.

The Steam Deck comes with a really nice case, so I don't see the need for a screen protector, but those probably aren't that expensive.

Oh absolutely agree with you, I certainly wouldn't be buying valve's dock, I've seen some nice ones on Amazon (UK) ranging from £10 up to £30 which would more than do the job

I checked out some dock comparison videos and there are some very nicely priced good quality options available

Pack of 3 tempered glass screen protectors was £7.99 I think, so worth it just for that added piece of mind

Reactions: krakenx

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have both the 512GB and the 64GB models.
Overall the 512GB is better, no doubt.
But TBH I would always recommend the 64GB model best, it is a great value. And you can get a 512GB high speed micro sd card for some $40.

Internal storage is still faster, though.

PS: regarding tempered screen, your choice. I never apply any type of protective screens, they degrade image quality and touch quality; I prefer to risk it and enjoy the raw screen. I could understand it if you wanted to reduce glare in the 256GB model though.

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have both the 512GB and the 64GB models.
Overall the 512GB is better, no doubt.
But TBH I would always recommend the 64GB model best, it is a great value. And you can get a 512GB high speed micro sd card for some $40.

Internal storage is still faster, though.

What is your opinion on that 'better' screen on the 512 model? I don't think it justifies the price difference for me but I'd be super interested in your opinion on the screen difference

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What is your opinion on that 'better' screen on the 512 model? I don't think it justifies the price difference for me but I'd be super interested in your opinion on the screen difference
It doesn't justify the price difference. You could achieve the same antiglare effect with a protective screen and tbh when there is no glare over your screen the standard screen looks better than the one in the 512GB model.

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It doesn't justify the price difference. You could achieve the same antiglare effect with a protective screen and tbh when there is no glare over your screen the standard screen looks better than the one in the 512GB model.
thank you, between all of you it's helped me make my choice :) (256)
Post automatically merged:

Ok, that's me ordered the 256gb model, should be with me in about 2 to 3 weeks time.... then and only then will I truly be a member of the Steam Deck master race :rofl: (I hate that term)

Seriously thank you all for your comments, it was exactly what I needed to help make my decision

Last edited by peteruk,
Reactions: sarkwalvein

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah mate, wish I'd seen this thread earlier. You won't be disappointed either way, but I would've recommended getting the 64GB Deck and this. You would've ended up with a 512GB Deck for less than the price of the 256GB version!

Edit: Looks like someone bought the last £89 512GB SSD as it's now showing £170! Obviously no longer a good deal.

Last edited by subcon959,
  • Love

such

Trophies
XP
Country
Barbados
Went with the 512gb model, unless you want the anti glare screen don't pick this one up, having more storage is nice but you can get a 400gb micro sd for $40 if you get low on space.
Coming from someone who lost a new SD card to the Steam Deck: get more built in SSD storage if you can. I'm happy with my 512, and I don't even care about the screen. And if you're getting a micro sd go for the durable/heavy duty option.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a 64gb but upgraded to a 1tb SSD and 1 tb sd card on the first day... so I can't really weight in that much, it depends if you have the extra $ to get the 512gb or just 64gb.

I was able to justify 399$, I already had a 1tb sd card, and was able to get a 90$ shipped 1tb 2230 before they explode in price.

The Case did not matter to me as I bought a new case to carried a extra dock and the Glare does not bother me as avid GBC and original GBA I have been automatically molded to deal with glare

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: