Hacking ~

Da General

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Rydian, not really looking to upset anyone here and please ignore my post count. I have been hacking PSP's and using DS flash carts for a long time but I'm confused by all the information out there and on this site in particular.
What does it matter what FW you're on before after, chickhen this, do this do that, why?
Let me explain. I just got another PSP2000 model it had 3.77 CFW on it or something. I upgraded to 6.20, used the signed exploit, then used hellcats recovery to go back to 5.00 M33-6.
Isn't it this simple for everyone? No pandora, no hovering over an image hoping for it to work etc..

If your PSP isnt a fully hackable model hellcats recovery flasher won't let you go back to M33 so you just enjoy your semi hacked 6.20 or 6.35 etc PSP. Most emus and HB are signed to work with these now right? Theres no danger in trying because the program won't let you do it if your machine isn't compatible.
Just looking for a little clarification. Don't get me wrong, I think that it's great that there is so much information here and on PSPhacks etc but for a noob really all the pains been taken out of it now and surely it would be better to give them a guide with as few steps as possible, like I just mentioned.
Thanks for your time.

keke_keke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Running PSP 3000 @ 6.37.

I knew I wouldn't be getting far into it before I bought it. I have no problem using the PSP for its intended use. I do have a couple of queries however since I learned about what *can* be done on OFW.

1) I haven't found an explaination for what OFW signing really is. I have signed games on my memory stick now, but I'm curious as to how they work. From what I understand, it's the Japanese demo for Phantasy Star Portable 2. Did they gut out the demo and put the ISO in? So the PSP thinks it is booting PSP2? Is PSP2 limited to 728 MB, hence why you can't sign anything bigger? Will we ever be able to sign bigger files?

2) HBL can load homebrew. ISO loaders are homebrew. From what I understand, there isn't a working one for HBL on 6.37, but it's possible just as long as someone actually gets around to making a compatible one, right?

Thanks for any help.
smile.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Da General said:
What does it matter what FW you're on before after, chickhen this, do this do that, why?
Let me explain. I just got another PSP2000 model it had 3.77 CFW on it or something. I upgraded to 6.20, used the signed exploit, then used hellcats recovery to go back to 5.00 M33-6.
Isn't it this simple for everyone? No pandora, no hovering over an image hoping for it to work etc..No. Your PSP was a fully-hackable model, you could downgrade with it easily. Later PSPs cannot downgrade as easily, and cannot downgrade back below what they came with. Yours came with a firmware below 5.03, so it can downgrade to that firmware. However no PSP Go can downgrade to 5.03 because the lowest they can go is 5.70 (the lowest firmware any Go has ever come with). Attempting to downgrade back to 5.03 on them would brick them, and since no 3000/Go can use a Pandora you're fucked. Even later 3K models are coming with 6.x firmware out of the box, meaning you can't go below that.

You have an earlier 2000 model, you are an exception to the norm so far as people reading this thread. Most people who are new to the PSP hacking scene have a new PSP.

Da General said:
If your PSP isnt a fully hackable model hellcats recovery flasher won't let you go back to M33 so you just enjoy your semi hacked 6.20 or 6.35 etc PSP.Yes, however hellcat's MIGHT let you downgrade from 6.x to 5.03, but as stated above this depends on your model and crap.

Da General said:
Most emus and HB are signed to work with these now right? Theres no danger in trying because the program won't let you do it if your machine isn't compatible.A "signed" homebrew doesn't need CFW at all to run. However there's a LOT of homebrew that cannot be signed for technical reasons. As for homebrew that works with 6.x, while a lot does, some still don't.

Da General said:
Just looking for a little clarification. Don't get me wrong, I think that it's great that there is so much information here and on PSPhacks etc but for a noob really all the pains been taken out of it now and surely it would be better to give them a guide with as few steps as possible, like I just mentioned.
Thanks for your time.The problem is it's not simple. YOU have a fully-hackable 2000, so YOU have it easy. YOU. Not other people.

QUOTE(keke_keke @ Apr 3 2011, 09:35 AM)
1) I haven't found an explaination for what OFW signing really is. I have signed games on my memory stick now, but I'm curious as to how they work. From what I understand, it's the Japanese demo for Phantasy Star Portable 2. Did they gut out the demo and put the ISO in? So the PSP thinks it is booting PSP2? Is PSP2 limited to 728 MB, hence why you can't sign anything bigger? Will we ever be able to sign bigger files?
The current signing methods include ripping parts of a signed game and transplanting them into something that's not signed. People have found out what the PSP actually checks for, so only those parts needs to exist in the signed program... but since you're transplanting stuff between programs that imposes some limits on things for technical reasons. As for how PSP games are signed I don't know, as for the limit increase I don't know. I'm not in this for piracy, I don't have a single signed PSP game. The better place to ask about the technical aspects and upcoming stuff would be a development forum such as http://wololo.net/talk

QUOTE(keke_keke @ Apr 3 2011, 09:35 AM)
2) HBL can load homebrew. ISO loaders are homebrew. From what I understand, there isn't a working one for HBL on 6.37, but it's possible just as long as someone actually gets around to making a compatible one, right?
No. HBL loads user-mode homebrew. ISO loading involves virtual device drivers and thus needs kernel-mode. While there have been people claiming they're making one, even Wololo himself says it's bunk (he says it in a nicer way though). It's not just 6.37, it's HBL itself. People have been claiming and wanting an ISO loader for it for ages.

keke_keke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply.
smile.gif
I'm it it mostly for homebrew anyway, so it looks like I can still have fun even though I'm on OFW. Was just wondering about the exact capabilities is all.

Da General

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't understand why you're so angry to be honest. I did say I was looking for some clarification. I don't understand how that equates to being addressed like a five year old. My point was more this.

How to hack any PSP, any model if your FW is below 6.20.(6.35)
Don't use official update.
1.Place the official 6.20.(6.35) firmware update on Ms, update.
2.Place 6.20.(6.35) signed exploit on ms, use.
Congratulations, now you can load your isos from the ISO folder. Happy gaming.

Wait you'd like a full custom firmware? Well read on.
PSP 3000 and GO users do not do this you will brick your machine. Go and enjoy your games.
PSP 1000 fat use hellcats recovery, place the official 5.00 eboot in folder with hellcats. Run hellcats and install a fresh 5.00 M33-6 on your machine.
Enjoy happy gaming.
You want to play the latest games? Install prometheus patch or patch your isos with isotool. Enjoy.
PSP 2000 slim follow the above steps. If you dont have a fully hackable motherboard hellcats wont let you reflash. Those that do, enjoy your full custom firmware. Those that cant, enjoy your gaming anyway on 6.20.(6.35)

What machine wouldn't this put on custom firmware? Who apart from the PSP slim 2000 owners would be anywhere near bricking their machine? And lets be honest Hellcats isnt going to brick anything its an unbricker and a very usefull tool. Remember I'm just looking for clarification not a war or argument. My point was that for a noob guide there still seems to be too much information when all they need to do is steps 1+2. This allows everyone to play their backups. The guide is well written and well informed but it's still more for an advanced user who has some experience of PSP's. It's great for people to come back to when they start learning more but for a complete beginner..... I just think the quickest easiest way to get them on CFW is the best. That was my point.

Thanks for your time

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*shrugs* That's just how he explains things. Most likely nothing personal against you.

Once again, nice job Rydian.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Da General said:
I don't understand why you're so angry to be honest. I did say I was looking for some clarification. I don't understand how that equates to being addressed like a five year old. My point was more this.

And you're asking this??? Your reputation pf just shutting people down with threats and that of that awful site you mod on precedes you! Rydian isn't angry he's just explaining succinctly that just because you believe that guides should eliminate options you feel are redundant that isn't the way other people feel. Is 5.03 redundant now? No, despite your method eliminating that option.

For your site the method you outline is probably best. Here we like options and discourse.

Da General

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@xist I'm sorry but you've really confused me. I merely suggested that since the advent of 6.20 TnD and 6.35 there were easier ways to provide a hacking guide for dummies. At no point did I suggest that Rydians guide was to be discarded. In fact I believe I even praised him on it being well written and informed did I not? I also asked for clarification of why 5.03 is advisable over the 6.20 or 6.35 exploits which even you haven't provided.
I repeat, for the third time, I'm just looking for some clarification, not an argument. I'm all for options and discourse, hence I asked for some.
Thanks for your time.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
pops support? Surely that's not a serious comparison, 6.20 pops vs popsloader?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Compatible plugins, range of themes etc... actually giving people a choice in the matter! I don't even have an unhackable PSP but the best guides always detail options. Once someone on a higher firmware PSP updates their firmware beyond 5.03 there is a lot more risk implicit in downgrading.

Your method is just do it, it's best for you.

Da General

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay thanks for the information. Would it really have hurt just to say because unfortunately if the 2000 users and the 3000 users go past 5.03 they have difficulty downgrading when there are alot of benefits by using the 5.03 upgrade? They would lose the ability to use popsloader, custom themes and alot of plugins.
You praise Rydian for answering succintly then neglect to do this yourself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: