Hardware 3DS Release Date?

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
Midna said:
That's the point. I know, but because of the name, others don't.

Advertising (lots of it) will take care of that. To me the LOOK (not the name) makes it look like a revision, but consider this:

1) Nintendo will really sell the 3D aspect of it all (in advertising and press). There will be no doubt it's a new system by this feature alone.
2) Personally I think Nintendo need to redesign it to be rounder and more comfortable and more distinctive-looking compared to what came prior, but I doubt they will.
3) If Nintendo can release something like the Wii (almost everyone saw this as an incredibly bad name at release) then the 3DS has no problem whatsoever getting across any message it wants to. I think it's quite a clever name with worldwide appeal (long English names mean nothing to the rest of the world) and they aren't going to change it.

Going back to Game Boy would be a bad move, but even that is very accepted now and has been for years.
Basically, 3DS is possibly the best name of any hardware product they have released, I reckon.

Nepeta

:33
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
foob said:
Midna said:

Advertising (lots of it) will take care of that. To me the LOOK (not the name) makes it look like a revision, but consider this:

1) Nintendo will really sell the 3D aspect of it all (in advertising and press). There will be no doubt it's a new system by this feature alone.
2) Personally I think Nintendo need to redesign it to be rounder and more comfortable and more distinctive-looking compared to what came prior, but I doubt they will.
3) If Nintendo can release something like the Wii (almost everyone saw this as an incredibly bad name at release) then the 3DS has no problem whatsoever getting across any message it wants to. I think it's quite a clever name with worldwide appeal (long English names mean nothing to the rest of the world) and they aren't going to change it.

Going back to Game Boy would be a bad move, but even that is very accepted now and has been for years.
Basically, 3DS is possibly the best name of any hardware product they have released, I reckon.

3DS isn't a bad name at all but it blatantly seems like a revision.. The Wii didn't sound like a revision at all, and there weren't even any revisions for GameCube or anything, so the object is much different.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
See the thing is, we've had so many revisions of the DS already. The DS lite! The DSi! The DSiXL! And now... the 3DS? Doesn't it sound like just another revision? It's like if they named the original DS the "Gameboy Advance DS"

Nepeta

Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Midna said:
See the thing is, we've had so many revisions of the DS already. The DS lite! The DSi! The DSiXL! And now... the 3DS? Doesn't it sound like just another revision? It's like if they named the original DS the "Gameboy Advance DS"
Yeah, mostly the hate videos on youtube(not the sony fanboy hate vids, lets not get into that) are just because "they recently bought the DSi XL" or something.

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
Brian10122 said:
foob said:
Midna said:

3DS isn't a bad name at all but it blatantly seems like a revision.. The Wii didn't sound like a revision at all, and there weren't even any revisions for GameCube or anything, so the object is much different.
Agreed it does seem like a revision when you here it at first. I don't think the casual is going to eat into the 3DS cake soon, they don't care about graphics. To them they think that they're fine with a normal DS. Ofcourse a year or two down the line, depending when 3DS is released, if it's before xmas there's some casual going to buy it, if it's after I doubt any casuals will buy it until after 3 months or even the next xmas.

I think the 3DS will need the word of mouth, since we gamers know we're buying it on launch, where as the casual don't even know it exists. The adverts I think are going to be difficult to do since you can't show the 3D unless it's in a cinema/theatre advert. When the system launches, there are going to be a lot of gamers games, some will aim to casuals such as nintendogs and DJ Hero, but for the most part the launch of the system is intended for the gamer.

hova1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
jimwhat said:
well i can see it's still all speculation.
My opinion is that i'd be weird for it not to come out by christmas. Nintendo would miss a lot of hype and money if they release it after christmas.
The reason for Nintendo not saying a word on the release date i think is that they don't know it either. Maybe potential launch games are not finished, hardware problems, just overall business stuff being complicated.

person12321

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hova1 said:
jimwhat said:
My opinion is that i'd be weird for it not to come out by christmas. Nintendo would miss a lot of hype and money if they release it after christmas.
The reason for Nintendo not saying a word on the release date i think is that they don't know it either. Maybe potential launch games are not finished, hardware problems, just overall business stuff being complicated.

probably. theyve just been able to say the main features. but there might be some bugs. basically what hova1 said. so they cant confirm a date. and i think they might update the design a little( hopefully). they did it for the first ds.
biggrin.gif

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
person12321 said:
hova1 said:
jimwhat said:
What do you guys think about this article:
http://www.nintendo3ds.org.uk/3ds-launch-i...011-for-europe/

probably. theyve just been able to say the main features. but there might be some bugs. basically what hova1 said. so they cant confirm a date. and i think they might update the design a little( hopefully). they did it for the first ds.
biggrin.gif
However earlier this month Play.com put up release date for Dragonball 3DS, Now listen up carefully

Play.com never put up a release date unless they've been told to do so. They even commented on this by saying the supplier told them the games release date.

This is why the 3DS and other games do not have one also.

Dragonball 3DS and Gundam 3DS are both published by Bandai Namco Games, so looks like they just spilled the beans.

The dragonball game says November in UK but the Gundam Game says February, who knows one of these dates could get pushed back or brought forward

EDIT:
QUOTE(FireGrey @ Jul 28 2010, 08:55 AM)
I'm expecting it to be released near the fiscal year end of 2011.
But there is no way UK will get it before EU.
Nintendo is bigger in Japan and Europe than UK...
UK is in Europe!!
We are part of the european union, but we like to keep our money to ourselves.

Samurai Goomba

Trophies
XP
Country
Deathmore said:
I think the 3DS will need the word of mouth, since we gamers know we're buying it on launch, where as the casual don't even know it exists.
To be honest, I'll probably wait for the inevitable 3DS 'Lite' (or whatever they choose to call it).

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
Samurai Goomba said:
Deathmore said:
I think the 3DS will need the word of mouth, since we gamers know we're buying it on launch, where as the casual don't even know it exists.
To be honest, I'll probably wait for the inevitable 3DS 'Lite' (or whatever they choose to call it).
3DS is the 3DS Lite and 3DSi. The only thing that can happen to it is 3DS XL
rolleyes.gif
. This isn't apple, they're not going to go "oh you bought 3DS? Sorry all new games and features are for the newer 3DS XL), doesn't matter when an XL version comes out since it'll be the same thing

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
FireGrey said:
I'm expecting it to be released near the fiscal year end of 2011.
But there is no way UK will get it before EU.
Nintendo is bigger in Japan and Europe than UK...
UK is in EU.
The UK and Ireland are the biggest video-game market in the EU.
And fiscal year ends in December for the EU, still March in Japan of course.
Maybe you hit K instead of S?

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Do you know what can create a huge buzz and generate millions in advertising? A newly released console being understocked and internationally sold out. I'm not saying Ninty did this on purpose with the Wii, but just think. When stock of it runs out all across the country, then people start to talk about. People tell their friends about how they just missed getting the last system at Wall Mart, word spreads, the 5 o' clock news picks up the story and films the spiraling lineups around Futureshop. When that happens it's not like a Ninty advertisement. That's them saying "We're the best!" This is everyone saying "They're the best!" I can't possibly think of any batter advertising than that.

I don't know about you, but I'm going to be out early on launch day. I'm not missing this by five minutes like I did with the Wii.

Edit: Firegrey, that's like saying the there's no way New York will get this before the US does.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
I just hope they don't allow Game to abuse their borderline illegal market position in the UK, especially since they hooevered up Gamestation. What tends to happen when there's a shortage of a system (as we saw the with Wii on release and the DS Lite during several Christmas periods) is that Game use their financial muscle and monopoly of high-street game shops to get the lions share of the stock. They then wait until it is sold out everywhere else and only sell the system in "bundles" with a load of overpriced shit you dont need - carry case, charging stand, grip, game case, and three bottom of the barrel shovelware titles. The system on its own is strangely "out of stock"
rolleyes.gif

DunkrWunkah

GBAtemp's Official Dunkr
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RoboticBuddy said:
Brian10122 said:
Adr990 said:
Around November / October ?!?

Ain't that a little to early?

Besides it should be December, like always.

Like always? Wii and NDS were both released in November..

In fact, so was the GameCube and probably some others.
lol yeah

Wow, this makes me think that it probably WILL be released on the first. Good thing my Birthday is on the 4th. w00terzz

Nepeta

Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
DunkrWunkah said:
RoboticBuddy said:
Brian10122 said:
Adr990 said:
Around November / October ?!?

Ain't that a little to early?

Besides it should be December, like always.

Like always? Wii and NDS were both released in November..

In fact, so was the GameCube and probably some others.
lol yeah

Wow, this makes me think that it probably WILL be released on the first. Good thing my Birthday is on the 4th. w00terzz

Hopefully I'll be able to get it counting as my christmas present =P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Cj8n4MfhjUc?si=detAUm1a27hi4uTP