ROM Hack 3DS ROM Tool: rom_tool

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So we could edit those things in theory, and still have the game boot using a device such as the Gateway 3DS?

I'd love to experiment with it, is there a program that allows me to change more parts of the rom?
Yeah in theory, we won't know until we get our hands on the Gateway 3DS. There aren't any other programs I know of which manipulate the contents of 3DS ROMs.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Gateway is not blockable by Nintendo, it's basically a legit cart with a removable ROM chip... That is all. Nintendo wouldn't block legit hardware IDs, that would break legit games people buy.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
could you do also a UNIX version for Mac or Linux?
have an old prove of concept:
http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~t_schmid/3dstrim/
trimming, untrimming and checksums at least
no FW patching yet (might do later if he tells how or if it actually works on the Gateway)

needs a recent python 2.x installed + some python modules (can check if needed)

run with a single rom as argument
trim and untrim do inplace modification
make a backup yourself if you want one (but it should be save)
checksum is read only

Reactions: watchband

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Gateway is not blockable by Nintendo, it's basically a legit cart with a removable ROM chip... That is all. Nintendo wouldn't block legit hardware IDs, that would break legit games people buy.
You shouldn't have any more confidence than the team itself:
Gateway faqs said:
- Can Nintendo block Gateway with an update?
Anything is possible we would rather not speculate (As always, any system updates should be avoided)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States

But it doesn't make sense for them to make a flash cart (If it can be called that) that nintendo could just make obsolete with one update... that's just stupid for business.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
But it doesn't make sense for them to make a flash cart (If it can be called that) that nintendo could just make obsolete with one update... that's just stupid for business.
One update obsolescence was a pretty common occurrence in the DSi scene.

As for the bad business plan claim, selling at $80 and being the first and only 3ds warez card could make the Gateway team rich almost overnight.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
One update obsolescence was a pretty common occurrence in the DSi scene.

As for the bad business plan claim, selling at $80 and being the first and only 3ds warez card could make the Gateway team rich almost overnight.

True, but if we can't update the Gateway's firmware*IF* it gets blocked, then they are just complete dickbags. And I'm tired of the cat and mouse games with Nintendo updates vs card updates... We need a fool-proof solution, and I hope someone makes a cart that's unblockable, if this one isn't.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hasn't stopped _every other flash team_ out there, has it? It's kind of an inherent flaw with unauthorized content and modifications.

True, but if we can't update the Gateway's firmware*IF* it gets blocked, then they are just complete dickbags. And I'm tired of the cat and mouse games with Nintendo updates vs card updates... We need a fool-proof solution, and I hope someone makes a cart that's unblockable, if this one isn't.

But an update can't always make the card work again. Look at, I think it was 4.5.0-X update for the 3DS. It blocked all cards that weren't physically designed a certain way. ALL official cards are. MOST flashcarts weren't. The DSTWO slipped by, as did some revisions of the R4i DS.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
...won't patching the minimum version or trimming mess up the signature? That, and the encryption key won't match? Or is that somehow magically covered?

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
...won't patching the minimum version or trimming mess up the signature? That, and the encryption key won't match? Or is that somehow magically covered?
The trimmed area could even be dynamically reconstructed by a flash cart and then be send to the 3DS.

The patched area is apparently not singed right now.
But any patched area is a bit of a concern. New games or fw can make all kinds of checks for that.
But I doubt they bother to do something like that, general detection of backups/flashcarts seems more promising.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I will most definitely keep my eyes on this. If the Gateway 3DS doesn't have any issues in the future, I may consider getting it and using this tool.

Seeing as it's on DOS, what is it programmed in? Perhaps a tool can be made that can allow users to create presets, for example, open it, trim it, and set the required FW from an option in a dropdown list, then save the changes to a rom. Or is that feasible with the scope of what is written in this program?

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interestingly, the NCSD RSA signature is only over the first 0x100 bytes (starting from the magic 'NCSD'). The required firmware version is beyond that scope, so the firmware patch should work without breaking the signature.

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
But he's an oracle, he knows more than the team that created it.
True, but if we can't update the Gateway's firmware*IF* it gets blocked, then they are just complete dickbags.
Corporate entity can be a dickbag? That's unheard of! Hi, you must have been born just yesterday.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The signature is in the header and covers the content, not the header, apparently. The minimum firmware and junk is in the header as well since that's data the 3DS wants to read before attempting to launch the game.

3DSGuy

No longer in scene
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The signature is in the header and covers the content, not the header, apparently. The minimum firmware and junk is in the header as well since that's data the 3DS wants to read before attempting to launch the game.
Let me clarify a NCSD File(ROM) for you:

1: Signature(0x100 bytes)
2: NCSD File Header(0x100 bytes)
3: Card Info Header(0x1000 bytes)
4: Dev Card Info Header(only in dev ROMs)(0x300 Bytes)
5: NCCH Partitions...(MAX 8)

The signature covers only the 0x100 bytes directly after the signature, and that data is the NCSD file header. The CVer TitleID and version is located in the Card Info header. It is possible that the Card info header is covered/verified by something else, but I haven't seen such thing yet.

Roxas75

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's amazing man. I was wondering, maybe the region lock informations are contained in this signature, maybe a part of the code describes the region. Can this be possible?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Let me clarify a NCSD File(ROM) for you:

1: Signature(0x100 bytes)
2: NCSD File Header(0x100 bytes)
3: Card Info Header(0x1000 bytes)
4: Dev Card Info Header(only in dev ROMs)(0x300 Bytes)
5: NCCH Partitions...(MAX 8)

The signature covers only the 0x100 bytes directly after the signature, and that data is the NCSD file header. The CVer TitleID and version is located in the Card Info header. It is possible that the Card info header is covered/verified by something else, but I haven't seen such thing yet.

Very informative, thank you. :)

Reactions: Rydian

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @TimeMaster, what happenned?