Homebrew 3DS: ssspwn exploit works on firmware 8.x, Smealum hopes for a release “soon”

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
well smealum has said he is looking if he can add region free support too....im sure some people will be interested in that, but its kinda like asking stuff like "why the hell do they make barbie games, they are crap".......different strokes for different folks

Reactions: Celice

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
well smealum has said he is looking if he can add region free support too....im sure some people will be interested in that, but its kinda like asking stuff like "why the hell do they make barbie games, they are crap".......different strokes for different folks

I understand that but I mean, what exactly is Homebrew going to bring that people are looking forward to so much? I can see region free support would be great for people who don't pirate but what else will it bring to the table for none-pirates?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I understand that but I mean, what exactly is Homebrew going to bring that people are looking forward to so much? I can see region free support would be great for people who don't pirate but what else will it bring to the table for none-pirates?
well it depends on what degree you mean by "non pirates" but you could probably expect to see emulators, possibly a proper 3d movie player....but depending on your view points you could class them as just for pirates

fenor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
see it that way. pre-homebrew piracy was a pain in the ass, the mod will simply read the flashcart/cd and that's it. after homebrew started running into the wild we have seen thing like homebrew channel, ftpii and similar utility that allowed you to do a lot of work that required a pc first, plus the develop of homebrew bring new knowledge about the console that will eventually lead to new methods that might be helpful in knowing why a game is not working properly.

consider them two side of the same medal, homebrew bring new functionality to the console, but bring knowledge too.

I just want to play MKV files (Anime), and I'll be happy...
mkv are a strange filetype since it's a container for other formats to do a proper mkv player you need to be able to play
mpeg-2,mpeg-4,wmv,realvideo,flash,theora,x264,vp8. just for the video playback, than there's audio formats and subs formats. for fansub many choose this file type since it's easy to inject the subtitle and disable them with the right option. let's just start with a basic mp3 player before we try to jump in the mkv format hell

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That wasn't a rhetorical question meant as an insult, it was a genuine question that I was expecting an answer to.

I'm here for the piracy.

Well if you don't see the point in homebrews, just stick to the piracy threads and don't annoy us by asking stupid questions like we had to convince you that you want homebrews...

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
mkv are a strange filetype since it's a container for other formats to do a proper mkv player you need to be able to play
mpeg-2,mpeg-4,wmv,realvideo,flash,theora,x264,vp8. just for the video playback, than there's audio formats and subs formats. for fansub many choose this file type since it's easy to inject the subtitle and disable them with the right option. let's just start with a basic mp3 player before we try to jump in the mkv format hell

The 3DS already has an MP3/MP4 player built-in...

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The 3DS already has an MP3/MP4 player built-in...

I don't think you really understood what he meant behind this, playing mkv requires a lot of things for audio and video, making a music player would first help to then achieve a good video player, the mp3 player is here but hasnt been made with smea's library and we don't really know how it works, so it doesnt really help us...

WaryLouka

Official Representative of the SuperCard Team
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I want after the release of the exploit is something to block the updates.
I'm stuck on 7.2 and I really hope to block the popups that tells me to update.

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What I want after the release of the exploit is something to block the updates.
I'm stuck on 7.2 and I really hope to block the popups that tells me to update.

Just reset your console, you won't have any popups after that...

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
On the subject of whether the 3DS can play MKV: container format is not a limiting factor. MKV is just a package that holds whatever kind of video people put in it, so it's easy for someone to make a piece of software that's able to parse the MKV container, but that's not a meaningful way of talking about performance. Chances are, the 3DS won't be playing standard, meant-for-computers video, it's likely to be more like the DS, where users had to re-encode to a low-framerate, low-res format specifically for DS play. What that format is will depend on what the 3DS can keep up with. But in answer to the simple question "Could 3DS play video?" the answer is an unqualified "Yes." Hell, even commercial games do it.

Pure-speculation-I-don't-claim-to-know-anything-at-all-take-with-large-grain-of-salt: for 2D, widescreen (16:9) video, the 3DS would probably want something like 400*224 (letterboxed) and for 4:3, 320*240 (pillarboxed) with a framerate somewhere between 20 and 30 FPS. For 3D video, halve the framerates. This should be doable on 3DS and 2D video would be plenty satisfying (most films are 24FPS, TV shows are generally 24 or 30 NTSC, 25 PAL) for people who want to watch videos on the 3DS, although video in 3D would probably suck over long viewing periods. On embedded hardware like the 3DS, compression is less important, so H.264 (I guess this is probably what people mean when they talk about MKV since it's become the modern standard) is probably a bad choice. Less compression means easier to decode, which is the important factor for 3DS, so something MPEG-based is probably more likely.

Reactions: IronClouds

DragonSky

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
"but what else will it bring to the table for none-pirates?"

I want a screenshot feature and the ability to easily play 3D video.

That's about it.
Screenshots are easily to fake. Better place a video.

When Nintendo releases a new firmware he will probably say this again.
Whatever it won't probably play 3ds games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/BiY0vNuu1eg?si=0nwmSHWeLkfcJJ__