Homebrew 3DS: ssspwn exploit works on firmware 8.x, Smealum hopes for a release “soon”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's no forget not all homebrew is piracy. we would not have had to wait so long for Colors (on the 3ds) if we had been able to run it on the 3ds without a flashcard. For those who aren't aware, that program was free and downloadable, without being pirated before Nintendo sold it on eshop.

Far too many people confuse the word 'Homebrew' for 'Pirated', thinking they both mean the same thing, a practice which is becoming far too common place. This has he side effect of causing the general public to do the same. Which in my opinion is not a good thing for the e-community as a whole. No doubt many will disagree....

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it would be very interesting to get some emulators on the 3DS, Since the screen is exactly 240p. NES, SNES, Genesis games will look very, very good on it; maybe we could get a Retroarch port on it and get some stuff running. An actual 3D VirtualBoy emulator would be nice too since Nintendo refuses to release VB Wario Land on the eShop. I'd also like to see region locking bypassed.

I'm not really interested in piracy right now. Back on the DS days I used to pirate everything and I'd find myself with piles of games on my SD card and no motivation to play them all. Now that I'm buying my games, I feel very inclined to 100% one game after another to get my money's worth. It's satisfying. That being said, I'd like an exploit to play backup games so I could look back and play some forgotten gems a few years down the line.

EDIT: Also, not to mention an exploit like this opens the door for some other nice things, like better documentation and understanding of the 3DS hardware, which would lead to emulators. It would be nice to see 3DS games in high resolution on the PC.

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Good thing i didn't update my 3DS XL yet. Been a while since i updated it anyway so can't wait to see what homebrew will be made available for the 3DS.

Useful homebrews of course, like emulators and such.

Wolololo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah well news site don't seem to really care about this little detail, everybody is now assuming it's working without efforts...
read this:
https://twitter.com/smealum/status/488212796681625600
then this:
https://twitter.com/smealum/status/491436860246224896/photo/1
then this:
https://twitter.com/smealum/status/491439257664225280

Also why is wololo.net saying that smealum was afraid of piracy and that he wasnt releasing for this reason? Afaik smea just doesnt want to have something to do with piracy but if his work lead other to piracy he wouldnt care, why are news site so unexact lately...
quote from smealum:
"Generally speaking, the thing that’s been stopping me (and others) from releasing working exploits has been the fact that they might be used for piracy."
in: http://smealum.net/?p=506

I do check my facts when I write my articles, unlike *many* other scene news sites.
So, apology accepted.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
it does ! :) or at least half of it anyway. can't yet confirm for the rest but it most likely does to

whilst it most likely will work....... that isnt the same as

ssspwn exploit works on firmware 8.x

i say let smealum confirm himself as to avoid the spreading of stuff that may be likely but is not 100% confirmed yet

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good thing I'm still on 7.X.
Idk why even before I hear of this ssspwn I just felt like Nintendo updates the 3ds to many times.

Wolololo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I feel you're playing on words here, but I'll bite:
it is very likely that the "second half" is firmware specific, for example addresses that need to be changed, or portions of the exploit that need to be slightly updated to work with the newest firmware. There is no reason to believe that an undisclosed exploit would be "half patched" by any company, it just doesn't make sense. It is obvious to me at this point that it's what smealum means, but you can also ask him directly.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
no its not playing with words, its just sticking to what has and hasnt been confirmed......as i said i would trust smealums word that it will most likely be working.....but the fact is that even he didn't feel comfortable enough to confirm without first making sure and he has all the details, so people making assumptions would have less of a reason to assume the facts

so yeah its probably working....in fact very very likely, but until it is confirmed you can never call it confirmed

what happens if it was patched and people update to 8.0 thinking its defiantly working before actual confirmation is given....basically people loose homebrew support, better safe than sorry in my opinion

Wolololo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fair enough.
to be honest I was mostly replying to Idaho's direct attacks against my article, not to your doubts.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if this works out, this (or a similar hypothetical unannounced method) would be the only way I'd go about hacking my 3DS. The whole GW ordeal has turned me off of the idea of flashcarts, plus this method likely wouldn't cost me a dime, again assuming it all works out. I'd love to have a 3DS with homebrew and emulators. I wonder if emulators could be tweaked to allow stereoscopic 3D, or if it's more complex than a simple tweak.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder is it better to stay on 7.2 or to update to 8.X now. Does it even make a difference homebrew-wise, compatibility issues and such?

Hard to know for sure, but at least it's something...I think? Who knows.

Homebrew on the 3ds will be just like heaven :)

Who knows when it'll happen.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I wonder is it better to stay on 7.2 or to update to 8.X now. Does it even make a difference homebrew-wise, compatibility issues and such?
wait on 7.2 for now,just until people are given the go ahead by smealum that its working on 8.x
its very likely it is but i always like to know im on a version guaranteed to work, rather than assumed

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this smealum guy should just announce the thing when it's ready.

Better for him to alert us that it works on 7.x and 8.0 than to leave us in the dark and let everyone update their firmware, possibly denying access to the exploit.

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
that is what a lot of these "hackers" do these days, lets see if we get any progress, this smealum guy should just announce the thing when it's ready.

Yeah smealum is totally a "hacker", you can also die in a fire, he's announcing things to please people who are really interested in his work, if you're not then don't even lurk GBATemp and go to your local chinese hackstore buy their latest shitty device without even questioning yourself and get free gaems and homobrewzz.

How dare you talk shit on someone who proved his work usefull and is working hard to make the 3DS scene a good thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gray zone warfare looks kinda cool
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ohhh on one episode they could use rings to summon Captain Criminal who is just Obama like a spoof of Captain Planet lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does look good
    By your powers combined, hmmm where is Epstein?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just another shit fps clone
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought it was some warzone dlc bs
    Looks like an enhanced Far cry 1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's a far cry from it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it a free to play bs, pay to get any good weapon/gear
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not free to play but $35
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Inb4 kiiwii gives it a 0/10
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    6/10 rating on steam
    I would like a Predator game "Kill Team" it takes place in the Jungle of the first movie, your team is sent to hunt the predator, using current tech drones and a trained team. Set traps use strategy to hunt and trap or kill the predator.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ill stick with my Battlefield. Yea a predator hunting game like that would be cool. Esp if you can be Arnold and say "Get to da choppa"
    +1
    Maybe Arnold could do a cameo voice acting, he is the one briefing you on the mission
    +1
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire the bike than it was worth tho.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire...