Hardware 3DS turning off while closing it?

Bluespheal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've had my 3DS for quite some time now, and lately I found it dying while on sleep mode, to the point where it seemed as if the battery was being pulled out (the clock reseted every time), I thought it was just that the battery was dying, but just a few minutes ago I opened it and while the hinge was halfway through, I heard a "pop" sound and the 3DS turned off.

I think I've read about it being a loose ribbon cable and I've also heard they are somewhat easy to fix, but I'm wondering if there is something else I should be aware of. Also, is there a way to open up the top screen? I don't recall seeing any screws on the top screen.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had my 3DS for quite some time now, and lately I found it dying while on sleep mode, to the point where it seemed as if the battery was being pulled out (the clock reseted every time), I thought it was just that the battery was dying, but just a few minutes ago I opened it and while the hinge was halfway through, I heard a "pop" sound and the 3DS turned off.

I think I've read about it being a loose ribbon cable and I've also heard they are somewhat easy to fix, but I'm wondering if there is something else I should be aware of. Also, is there a way to open up the top screen? I don't recall seeing any screws on the top screen.
getting to the top screen is the hardest part when it comes to the 3ds because you would have to remove the entirety of the bottom first

PIXeL_92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From previous repairs to 3DS consoles you can get a pop sound when a fuse is bad. When you turn the 3ds on does it actually boot ?

KoalaBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i used to have a similar issue with mine, but it kinda stopped happening on its own. the system would just die suddenly (closed or not), and im pretty sure it had something to do with a cable (or any other sort of connection) being loose/defective. sometimes when that happened, it wouln't even turn on (although it would display the 'charging' led), but after giving it a shake or two it would go back to normal

Bluespheal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah, I was unable to unscrew it(I chipped the screws some time ago, would need to order special screws for that) but it suddenly started working fine again, that is until yesterday, when the problem returned. I'll look into it a bit more, I'm quite sure it's a loose ribbon cable or something.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

TiredLink

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I think you will dismantle the ds, just like Zyvyn said.

Bluespheal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yup, opened the thing two days ago, however the guides at iFixit lack some steps on disconnecting some ribbon cables and I think broke the touch-screen input one, as well as the left d-pad one (that last one may be something else). that aside the console works perfectly, I've already ordered a space touch panel so no worries there, the thing that worries me now is the d-pad, I just opened the thing to check on the screen and it just stopped working on that particular direction, I also dismantled it to see if there was something wrong with it, aside from some gunk I've cleaned up already, nothing seems out of the ordinary.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!