spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mana94 said:
Screen-shot-2010-06-22-at-10.26.05-AM.png

I got this off of nintendo3dsblog.com

If these are confirmed then it's awesome! PSP has 3 million more triangles per second...
But 3DS still has them beat by a longshot on everything else.

DS/iphone 3gs/psp doesnt count since 3ds is a brand new technology. You are being silly. The DS/psp are older and to my understanding.. PSP is better than DS and more powerful but If they release PSP2 then you can compare between psp2 and 3ds. It is easy to be said.
smile.gif

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
Midna said:
Veho said:
My PC has some pretty good games too, but I'm not going to call it a gaming platform.
Ever heard of Steam?

im pretty sure he was being sarcastic

i also would like to make it clear to people that the psp can only really push about 6-8 million polygons per second in-game it may not even be that, because the 3ds graphics chip has native hardware support for subsurface light scattering, self-shadowing, bilinear texture filtering, full screen anti-aliasing and shaders The games will look much better, the 3ds will probably push a higher polygon count ingame aswell since the other effects will be less taxing on the gpu

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe the 3DS is over hyped, it's getting as much hype as any new system... Except this is a breakthrough, 3D without glasses.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
pachura said:
Overlord Nadrian said:
pachura said:
Yeah... noone confirmed that PICA200 will run at 400 MHz... they might as well use PICA200 LITE @ 100 MHz.
But why would they do that?

PICA200 LITE vs. PICA200: cheaper.
100/200 MHz vs. 400: less power consumption, less heat produced.

There's such a thing as too cheap, and not powerful enough; even for Nintendo.

Besides, DMP's press release about the 3DS specifically stated that it was using the Pica200, with their proprietary MAESTRO extension thing. The Lite doesn't have that feature.

QUOTE(themuddaload @ Jun 23 2010, 10:23 AM)
for nintendos sake, i really hope they put something in the 3ds with more than 400mhz. thats only a little more than what the psp is putting out already, and the 3ds is going to have to put out about twice the pixels to render the 3d. =\

According to Wikipedia, the PSP's GPU default clockrate is 111MHz, with a max of 166. The Pica200's stock setting is 200MHz, apparently with a max of 400. We've yet to out the CPU, but it seems like the 3DS is doing well enough so far.

Painguy

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
1. 400mhz isnt that much on the PICA architecture
2. Remeber that even though Polygon count is slightly lower some architectures have a harder time achieving their peak over others. Im sure that the 3DS will have a higher polygon count than the majority of PSP games. It already seems that way. When u apply shaders, textures etc these numbers can change drastically depending on how the hardware can handle everything.
3.Iphone doesnt even have a great GPU. Its featureset is lack luster compared to the 3DS, and it cant achieve that level of detail as easily as the 3DS because its not optimized for it

D

Deleted User

Painguy said:
1. 400mhz isnt that much on the PICA architecture
2. Remeber that even though Polygon count is slightly lower some architectures have a harder time achieving their peak over others. Im sure that the 3DS will have a higher polygon count than the majority of PSP games. It already seems that way. When u apply shaders, textures etc these numbers can change drastically depending on how the hardware can handle everything.
3.Iphone doesnt even have a great GPU. Its featureset is lack luster compared to the 3DS, and it cant achieve that level of detail as easily as the 3DS because its not optimized for it
when I look at the screenshots for Nintendogs+Cats and Star Fox 3D, I think, well, this 3DS might not have such a massive polygon count. But when I see Samurai Warriors, I see that the polygon count is larger, and that is good

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Mana94 said:
Screen-shot-2010-06-22-at-10.26.05-AM.png

If these are confirmed then it's awesome! PSP has 3 million more triangles per second...
Seriously? What kind of comparison is this?

I won't ever trust someone who sums up the two screen resolutions in a total. That's just plainly stupid.

And I haven't seen anything about a (serious) source stating that the 3DS uses a DMP Pica.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Mana94 said:
*pic snipped*

I won't ever trust someone who sums up the two screen resolutions in a total. That's just plainly stupid.
*snip*

I had a post typed up almost exactly like this earlier, then work came to my desk and i forgot about it. Thanks for using the All-Mods-One-Mind ability to post for me.
biggrin.gif

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
raulpica said:
And I haven't seen anything about a (serious) source stating that the 3DS uses a DMP Pica.

The manufacturer of said hardware doesn't count as a "serious" source? They seem to be a legit company... it'd be foolish of them to make such an announcement if it weren't true; plus Nintendo would've denied it by now if they didn't have their permission for the announcement.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
WildWon said:
raulpica said:
Mana94 said:
*pic snipped*

*snip*

I had a post typed up almost exactly like this earlier, then work came to my desk and i forgot about it. Thanks for using the All-Mods-One-Mind ability to post for me.
biggrin.gif

Mod hivemind!
ph34r.gif

QUOTE(TM2-Megatron @ Jun 23 2010, 09:23 PM) QUOTE(raulpica @ Jun 23 2010, 02:45 PM)

The manufacturer of said hardware doesn't count as a "serious" source? They seem to be a legit company... it'd be foolish of them to make such an announcement if it weren't true; plus Nintendo would've denied it by now if they didn't have their permission for the announcement.
Source pl0x?

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
who cares if the 3DS can do fillrate of 61.0billion per second? it's polygonal capability is still less than the PSP's by a few millions. (WELL THAT'S ACCORDING TO THE "UNOFFICIAL" BLOG YOU GOT THAT FROM)

anyway, I will still buy the 3DS for its games.

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
polygon count is not as important on a small screen portable, on the psp the polygon count was never ever an issue and it has a larger screen than the 3ds, the biggest issues of the psp were texture quality, aliasing/jaggies, load times and battery life.

What makes a portable game look amazing is special effects, shadows and lighting and the textures that look sharp and not blurry.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
altorn said:
who cares if the 3DS can do fillrate of 61.0billion per second? it's polygonal capability is still less than the PSP's by a few millions. (WELL THAT'S ACCORDING TO THE "UNOFFICIAL" BLOG YOU GOT THAT FROM)

anyway, I will still buy the 3DS for its games.

The fillrate is important because it determines whether or not there will be tearing when a lot of polygons are "up close" vs far away. To ensure that the 3D effect works well, a high fillrate helps a lot.

Anyways, the GPU suggested for the 3DS is outdated, and we can possibly see a much more improved (and newer) version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ok not just