Review 64drive review

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had a fair bit of email communication with him and he has always got back with friendly and informative answers. I have no doubt about the veracity of the guy or his product.

I ordered mine a wee while ago. I was unsure how long I was going to have to wait and I wanted to book a holiday. I emailed him and he got back within a day or two. He reckons it'll take about 4 or 5 weeks to get mine as the PCB's for my batch are still being fabricated. I don't think that's too long to wait for a very polished niche product hand built by the designer. God, I've waited about 15 years for a decent N64 ROM solution another few weeks isn't going to hurt!!

Yeah, that's how I felt about it, haha. I've been following it's development ever since he announced it, I actually play a little Diddy Kong Racing earlier :D

Reactions: 1 person

amptor

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I should play more Chopper Attack. It is fun.

Mario Kart 64 is great too and I should be playing it. But I just thought for a second and I actually own the cart. I bought it brand new from gamestop when they were selling new carts super cheap :P It probably would have been a collector item if I hadn't opened the package though.

Mario Kart 64 also is one game that is emulated fine. I heard emulators have graphic packs you can add in to get better graphics out of the games but I haven't tried that.

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Emulation of N64 games is fine for trying out games you haven't played before but nothing compares to playing the games on the real hardware. Other consoles (SNES, NES, Megadrive...) have much more accurate emulation and feel closer to the original hardware than any emu for the N64. N64 emulation is fairly poor IMHO and ,worse, seems to be pretty stagnant. The games that play 'well' don't really feel close to the real deal. There are hi-res packs for some games but most of them are only partially completed and a lot of them only help to take away the feel of the games even more.

I hear people occasionally shouting from the rooftops about playing Goldeneye on PC emulation with high resolutions and mouse & keyboard and how it's sooo much better. Believe me, it's not! Sure, emulation is the only way to play N64 games online (Mupen64k) but that's the only real bonus over real hardware I see now that we have a real choice of N64 flashcarts out there.

If people really do want them cheaper with more functionality then the only thing to do is support the devs now. Then maybe further down the line costs can come down and future iterations could become cheaper to buy with further developed firmwares etc... rant over/ :)

florian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Hello :)

How to make for run Banjo toiee on the drive 64 ? because i have a black screen ? its say on the site retroactive this " put a 6105 CIC on the back on the board " and i not see any connector on the back of cartridge ? and also jet force jemini work but in the game not possibility to fire ?

Thanks again for you help :)

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France

How to make for run Banjo toiee on the drive 64 ? because i have a black screen ? its say on the site retroactive this " put a 6105 CIC on the back on the board " and i not see any connector on the back of cartridge ? and also jet force jemini work but in the game not possibility to fire ?

For Banjo Tooie you need to put a CIC 6105 on the circuit board inside the 64Drive, there's no external connector like the NeoN64Myth have, for Jet Force Gemini if you can't fire it's because of anti piracy, you'll need to patch your game or to find one already patched.

By the way I think CIC 6105 is only available inside JetForceGemini or Banjo Tooie, so you're probably better buying those two games.

florian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France

Strange mario party 3 all version pal or ntsc not working i have a black screen ? any idea thanks in advance

PS: i have forced the mario party 3 to the 16kbit eprom and work :) and 4kbit not work ?

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

For Banjo Tooie you need to put a CIC 6105 on the circuit board inside the 64Drive, there's no external connector like the NeoN64Myth have, for Jet Force Gemini if you can't fire it's because of anti piracy, you'll need to patch your game or to find one already patched.

By the way I think CIC 6105 is only available inside JetForceGemini or Banjo Tooie, so you're probably better buying those two games.

It's available in quite a few carts actually, it's just those two games that actually take advantage of any of the anti-piracy features it has to offer. The other games that use it can run through some boot emulation.

florian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Cant you buy it with the CIC 6105 installed?

I see this on the rewiews :

+ Every commercial ROM works flawlessly (* Banjo Tooie is going to be supported via CIC 6102 in the future)

i hope its fixed in the future for banjo VIA CIC 6102 , And for me , jet force jemini work fine with a rom fixed ( patched rom ) and drive 64 are very good product

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There isn't an option on the site, but it wouldn't be difficult to solder one in with average soldering skills and a decent iron. I wouldn't attempt it if you don't have experience in soldering though, as it would be a real shame to mess up such a nice product. You could always shoot him an email and ask.

I see this on the rewiews :

+ Every commercial ROM works flawlessly (* Banjo Tooie is going to be supported via CIC 6102 in the future)

i hope its fixed in the future for banjo VIA CIC 6102 , And for me , jet force jemini work fine with a rom fixed ( patched rom ) and drive 64 are very good product

More than likely, he'll be having 6105 CICs cloned, and will be able to use them in every batch. It's just a matter of getting them replicated, pretty sure he's already been in contact with someone to help. In the mean time, if you can't wait for your Banjo Tooie fix and you have a 360, just pick it up from Xbox Live, since there's an "HD" version on there, with a couple more features. The 360 XBLA versions are quite nice, but I prefer them on the N64 due to nostalgia purposes.

shanefromoz

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Patched Jet Force Gemini rom.
Also i cant get Banjo Tooie work load either just a black screen and yes i ordered it with the 6105 cic installed.

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Patched Jet Force Gemini rom.
Also i cant get Banjo Tooie work load either just a black screen and yes i ordered it with the 6105 cic installed.

Then maybe you didn't buy it with the 6105 CIC, and mistakenly bought it with a 6102 CIC.. I have 6105, and I can launch both of the games, and they're completely clean unaltered roms. If it really does have a 6105 CIC, email marshall.

shanefromoz

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I did order the version with the 6105 CIC installed but i think he sent me the wrong one.
I have emailed him and i will let you know what happens.
Thanks for you help.

Cheers Shane

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When i ordered it all i ordered was $199 with cic installed.
It that the 6105?

Shane

No, it's not, and since you're in Australia (PAL region) you have the 7101 chip in your 64drive.. I sent you a PM with more information though, so I hope that helps.

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my 64drive has a cic7101 installed is it worth changing to a 7105?

Since you can play JFG if it's patched properly, only one of the games cannot be played, which is Banjo Tooie. You have to take that in consideration when wanting to know if it's worth it, it's a personal preference.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: oh ye i made a post i did forget they had an account i prob shouldve tagged them in the post tbh