Hacking A couple of questions before I finish hacking my 3DS

edugr10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey guys. I got a New 3DS XL and I'm following 3ds.guide, the ntrboot method with a DS flashcard. I'm currently sitting at "Step 7. Finalizing Setup". Everything has progressed great and as expected until here, except for one oversight on my part. I used my biggest microSD card for ntrboot/flashcard and the small one for the device itself. My question is, if I want the biggest space to install games via FreeShop and whatnot, do I need to redo everything from stratch? Or can I simply swap the cards in some way (I'm not sure if things like ntrboot and boot9strap are installed on the device itself or the card).

Another question I have is my 3DS is on firmware 11.4. Can/should I upgrade after I'm done with the hacking? Should I do it before? Or just leave it as is?

Appreciate any help as always.

blueYOSHI

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I would say you should completely finish the guide first, then just copy over all files. Everything should work fine then, did the exact same mistake actually

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To answer your second question you can update without problems after CFW is set up, although it's your choice whether you do or you don't.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. I got a New 3DS XL and I'm following 3ds.guide, the ntrboot method with a DS flashcard. I'm currently sitting at "Step 7. Finalizing Setup". Everything has progressed great and as expected until here, except for one oversight on my part. I used my biggest microSD card for ntrboot/flashcard and the small one for the device itself. My question is, if I want the biggest space to install games via FreeShop and whatnot, do I need to redo everything from stratch? Or can I simply swap the cards in some way (I'm not sure if things like ntrboot and boot9strap are installed on the device itself or the card).

Another question I have is my 3DS is on firmware 11.4. Can/should I upgrade after I'm done with the hacking? Should I do it before? Or just leave it as is?

Appreciate any help as always.
boot9strap is installed on the sysnand and the setup ctrnand that you did in godmode9 allows it to boot without an sd card though to swap the 2 sd cards you can just copy the contents from one to another just make sure they are both formatted to fat32

edugr10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Ok, I'm gonna continue and then transfer the contents.

There is one part I'm not fully grasping, though, at the very beginning of Step 7:

The file boot.firm is what is launched by boot9strap itself after it finishes loading off of NAND, and can be any valid arm9 payload in the FIRM format. This file can be replaced at any time, although Luma3DS allows for the launch of other arm9 payloads in the FIRM format using the Luma3DS chainloader.

In this case, we use Luma3DS by AuroraWright to boot a patched SysNAND directly, allowing us to completely bypass the need for any kind of EmuNAND, vastly simplifying the usage of a hacked 3DS in addition to saving SD card space.

It's not clear to me whether I should install AuroraWright or not. I'm assuming not because there are no specific instructions on how to install it on the steps that follow, but you can never be too sure.

edugr10

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I ignored that part and finished all the steps. All that's left now is transfer over the files to the bigger card. I'm wondering what is the preferred method for downloading 3DS games? FreeShop or manually downloading them and converting them into .CIA files?

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I ignored that part and finished all the steps. All that's left now is transfer over the files to the bigger card. I'm wondering what is the preferred method for downloading 3DS games? FreeShop or manually downloading them and converting them into .CIA files?
Most people prefer freeshop

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There is no "best" option. FreeShop is pretty handy and makes the process of downloading games a bit less painfull because you don't have to copy files from your computer to the 3DS every time you want a new game. The problem is that freeShop doesn't has every game for the 3DS, and a lot of games you'll have to download 'em from forums or something in .CIA archive type.
I suggest having freeShop, and when you want a game that isn't there, look up in that ISO site, or somewhere of your preference.

Aglaophotis

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm wondering what is the preferred method for downloading 3DS games? FreeShop or manually downloading them and converting them into .CIA files?
Personally I'm using "that title key site" to scan QR codes of games I want with FBI, which downloads and installs them directly. I find this quicker than loading up Freeshop and searching for games there. But of course that only works if you're near a PC/laptop/phone where you can open that site.
For retail-only games, you can download roms as .3ds files and then convert them to .cia so you can install them with FBI. For the conversion I can recommend 3dsconv. You could also copy the .3ds rom to your SD card and do the conversion with GodMode9 but that's much slower as the 3DS is obviously not as powerful as your PC.

Last edited by Aglaophotis,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4