Status
Not open for further replies.

A not so remembered game that means a lot to you.

temp_attic.jpg

Saying you played one of the top rated or top selling games on a given system as a kid is nothing too interesting; they tended to be top rated and selling for a reason. What we are here today to discuss is those games that you played because it was, say, the only thing you had, the only thing when visiting grandparents or just something you really latched onto. On a related note then in programming it is noted everybody programs well in their first language and usually spends all their time trying to make a new one behave like that, something similar is noted in games where mechanics of their earliest titles or those they spent time with inform how they feel about things going forward (why else do you think every indie platformer a few years back was a homage to NES Super Mario Brothers? Do you not imagine almost everything will be influenced by Minecraft before long when the 12 year olds of 2010 are now getting their first jobs in the game industry?).

My fondness for Talespin on the NES has been noted a few times before on the site, however as that is a Disney property made by Capcom (who also did most Disney things on the NES and most in turn are held up as outright classics) that does not play here. On the other hand

Stealth ATF for the NES

Not my first "3d" flight sim, Elite arguably being that one, but as the NES was my first console I could exclusively monopolise (the Commodore 64 actually came after for me) and this was one of the handful of games I had for it then it has informed a lot of how I approach flight sims, also now what I recognise as an early case of GPS syndrome as I would often follow the radar more than the screen itself (though real fighter pilots do that I am told).

Turbo Racing for the NES (Al Unser Jr.'s Turbo Racing in the US is something I just learned)

What would today be considered a by the numbers racer made by those paragons of quality, that being Data East, on the NES was equally one of the few NES titles I had. Light stats upgrades (today would be dubbed RPG elements), a little balance the turbo vs straight racing mechanic, some hills in the level, memories of a sore thumb from holding A for so long on the NES pad... barring the NES bit then if you said that I would think you were describing Road Rash, which was a far more influential series for me, but Turbo Racing never the less holds a place in my gaming makeup.

Despite it being several years since playing both of those, maybe decades since I played them an awful lot, I apparently could whistle the theme tunes/in mission tunes too. Can I do that for the last few games I reviewed? No.

What then are one or two of your fondly (or perhaps not so fondly) remembered games that, even on a site like this, you would be lucky to get more than a few people say "oh I remember that"? Why did you end up with them and did they cause you to either expect things in later games or avoid such things in the future?
We are accepting stupidly rare in your region; if basketball was your thing in Europe and you owned one of the 5 imported versions of a game that today litters the shelves of second hand game shops up and down the US then we will allow it. It need not be NES or older; if you only started gaming 5 years ago with a hand me down DS then feel free to share that too.

SaberLilly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A_Lucas%20Learning%20Star%20Wars%20Droidworks%20-%20Cover.jpg

I remember playing this when i was younger, you built droids from an assortment of parts and sent them on missions pertaining to various subjects of science and physics. While you can find videos on it one of which was made by LGR, I feel this game didn't get enough love and got washed away during the edutainment craze of the late 90's.

I'd source a copy of it myself but this game uses an engine that's very picky about CPU speed and the physics freaks out if the processor is too fast.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

MayoMommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Granstream Saga for the playstation. I loved this game as a kid and never heard anyone talk about it. Only recently had I heard that it was kind of a successor to the trilogy that Terranigma belongs to. I think it's aproach to combat is still fairly unique and fun.

Freestyle-McL

Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
I remember playing on the Wii a long time ago, and unlike Xenoblade Chronicles which even has a majestic remaster, I would like to see this game again on new platforms, or some extension of its story.

pat_guy7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was one SpongeBob title that I feel like it hasn't gotten enough appreciation yet. I grew up playing "Creature From The Krusty Krab" on GameCube long ago as a kid. It was a Christmas present I got at that age and I still cherish it to this day. Even replaying it in my adulthood days do I still capture the feeling of why I liked it so much long ago.

A shame how not many SpongeBob titles are talked about when it comes to SpongeBob video games. It's only either Battle For Bikini Bottom or those Nicktoons titles that I see people make a discussion out of the most. Those games are great as well, but I just want CFTKK get its level of appreciation that BFBB did and maybe a remaster treatment, too.

TetrisKid48

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hot wheels: the world's best driver for 3ds. narrator had a very funny accent and i would just drive around the lobby and crash the cars.

10/10

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Never cared for the inferior sequel, but this first game on PS1 really keeps me coming back. It's my go-to game for testing PS1 emulation, but it's also an easy game to run, and the file size is just under 400MB. Even smaller in PBP format. You can literally pick Renamon, set the difficulty to easy, and just cheese through the game using her Diamond Storm attack in about 15 mins.

digimon-rumble-arena-cover.jpg

screen-0.jpg

White_Raven_X

Hack everything, hack the world!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was a huge fan of adventure games when I was a child in the 1980's and 1990's. I'm going to name a few. I hope they bring back memories for you as they have for me. Thinking of those games actually puts a huge smile on my face.

-Codename: iceman
-Eco Quest
-space quest
-King's quest
-quest for glory
-police quest

These are the games that created the gamer in me!

Cdiddy1122

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unfortunately, I hve lots of nostalgia for adventure capitalist and clash of clans. But my personality is great, I swear

Reactions: banjo2

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
splinter cell games, ubisoft kinda forgot about the IP and hasn't got any game since ps3/xbox360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9omNI5x06fk