Hacking About Super Mario Advance 4's release

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
gamesquest1 said:
in regards to the NES luigi bros roms i tried dumping ram a while back and it seems the rom stored in ram is also stock, so its probable the rom is being tweaked on the fly by the emulator or something rather than being directly patched in ram prior to launch

this was only tested on the nes remix game though i dont have the other luigi game unlocked on 3D world, but i would assume it will be using the same patching method

i might dump the ram again and see if i missed anything, but i only found the stock mario bros rom first time around

einstein95 said:
Take a 0x6060 portion from 0x20 in the decompressed code and then you have WUP-FAEJ.bin from the NES Remix Pack.

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
patch works great. thanks! now I can finally play "mad dash" :D
previously I was using a save file that had 37 of the 38 levels (only mad dash was missing)... so I'm excited that now I don't need the save file anymore and can use my OG save file from my GBA

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
That's notes taken. Thanks.

By the way, there's another something extremely interesting I just learned.

There's that rumor that NoE is hacking a Multi-5 translation inside Mother 3.
They said they're looking into the possibility of translating games back when Earthbound was to be released.
But that wouldn't be their first translated retro release.
They also did release last year a stealth translated European release (Multi-5) for Drill Dozer on PAL Wii U VC with all the bells and whistles. Original game never released in Europe.

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
By the way, there's another something extremely interesting I just learned.

There's that rumor that NoE is hacking a Multi-5 translation inside Mother 3.
They said they're looking into the possibility of translating games back when Earthbound was to be released.
But that wouldn't be their first translated retro release.
They also did release last year a stealth translated European release (Multi-5) for Drill Dozer on PAL Wii U VC with all the bells and whistles. Original game never released in Europe.
Speaking of which, I asked somene with Super Mario RPG (US), and they said that there is no graphical changes?

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Speaking of which, I asked somene with Super Mario RPG (US), and they said that there is no graphical changes?
The change apparently concerns the PAL VC release, and only that.
It's "bugger" changed, Mode-7 spell effects having improved scaling/better textures, and the joypad graphics using 4-colors.

By the way, Megaman Zero 3 had e-Reader stuff dummied from the US version but translated inside the ROM. (A DS release came after implemeting said stuff in a slightly different way) Did it have a Wii U release?

Last edited by GHANMI,

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The change apparently concerns the PAL VC release, and only that.
It's "bugger" changed, Mode-7 spell effects having improved scaling/better textures, and the joypad graphics using 4-colors.

By the way, Megaman Zero 3 had e-Reader stuff dummied from the US version but translated inside the ROM. (A DS release came after implemeting said stuff in a slightly different way) Did it have a Wii U release?
I don't think it has.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think it has.
I figured.
Even if that game was released.. It's content of the switch card variety (scanned on the go), not permanent DLC like levels.
The former never got emulated for the VC SMA4, so getting one's hopes up here is maybe not the best thing to do.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I figured.
Even if that game was released.. It's content of the switch card variety (scanned on the go), not permanent DLC like levels.
The former never got emulated for the VC SMA4, so getting one's hopes up here is maybe not the best thing to do.
Yeah I'd assume so as well.

LuigiXHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xdelta is usually recommended for really extensive hacks like the Sonic hacks from SSRG or Retro, and for hacks that might include data that's copyrighted, like compilation ROM hacks such as Super Mario Bros (NES) All Stars and the Megaman Collection hack for NES.

SSRG and Sonic Retro stopped using patches ages ago, they just share the rom files now because Sega couldn't care less.

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
A notice that SMA4 (Europe) was just released on Wii U. I'm sure that the European version would be appreciated. A RAM dump or the "content" files is enough to rip it. If you want to rip it yourself, please ask and I will explain how.

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly it seems as if ROMHacking.net removed the hack under the conclusion that it wasn't legal to distribute. @Sonic_Cee_Dee might want to remove the link to that website since it doesn't contain anything useful now.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sadly it seems as if ROMHacking.net removed the hack under the conclusion that it wasn't legal to distribute. @Sonic_Cee_Dee might want to remove the link to that website since it doesn't contain anything useful now.
It might be worth it if someone could upload the IPS into ZeBucket, since that site hosts files for an infinite time.
Several hacks that have been flagged as non-compliant in RomHacking are still available there, like the Megaman 1&2 hack.

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, ROMHacking.net seems to have some odd standards. There's a patch for Super Mario Bros. 3 that turns the game into a compilation of all four different games (Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, The Lost Levels, and Bros. 3), and this hasn't been flagged for being non-compliant. It should be flagged though since it means the user only has to have access to Bros. 3 in order to patch the ROM and play every game.

Not to bash them or anything, but I do think it was somewhat wrongly flagged sine the save files that have the eShop content were previously okay to distribute.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye tempBOT: @ The Real Jdbye farts behind the fan +1