• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

About today’s Florida shooting

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I was talking about TSA and airport security, not the terrorists themselves
In that case it still means nothing. Homeland security found that the TSA has failed to stop 95% of potential attacks. The TSA is just there for show. A hope that their existence itself will be a deterrent.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh good lord... I just talked to one of my friends, and she says (verbatim) "This was almost my cousins. They knew one of the boys who was shot. He was shot in the ankle trying to drag a body out of the way. His mom brings my cousins home 3 times a week. These are real people, real lives affected, real lives ended. But hey: the nearly unconditional right to bear arms with minimal training and checks is more important right? Don't want to inconvenience gun owners and those who aspire to be."

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Plus with guns, a responsible gun owner should (maybe even legally mandatory? not for sure) have a gun safe or vault to store firearms in at home. In the case of an intruder, your gun's not going to be on you, and if you don't keep it locked up you run the risk of someone else in your home either using it against you or themselves (suicide)
The gunman always has the element of planning and/or surprise on his side, which is why there was no possibility of effectively firing back at the Las Vegas shooter. What everybody believes they may or may not do in an active shooter situation goes out the window the second you hear those shots start firing.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xathya

residence aparents trols of temps
Banned
Trophies
Website
knucklestheechidna.com
XP
Country
Australia
Reactions: DarthDub

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The gunman always has the element of planning and/or surprise on his side, which is why there was no possibility of effectively firing back at the Las Vegas shooter. What everybody believes they may or may not do in an active shooter situation goes out the window the second you hear those shots start firing.
To springboard off of that...
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AshleyANjax/status/963885487441240065[/tweet]
Failed to fetch tweet https://twitter.com/AshleyANjax/status/963924873964867585

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Guns are not the problem imo,its how the US handles mental illness and health.A very sad day for sure.
Well surely you'd agree then at least that accessibility of guns for the mentally ill is a problem. A fully automatic rifle is far too efficient a killing machine to give away thoughtlessly.

Last edited by Xzi,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well surely you'd agree then at least that accessibility of guns for the mentally ill is a problem. A fully automatic rifle is far too efficient a killing machine to give away thoughtlessly.
Fortunately full autos have been illegal for a while now. Semi-autos are still just fine, though

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Xzi,

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Fortunately full autos have been illegal for a while now. Semi-autos are still just fine, though
Alot of good that does. I have a friend with a full auto BAR and another with a full auto m16. I personally own 40cal black talons. The law doesn't matter. And Here's the problem with trying to turn this into a gun control issue. You are taking liability away from the shooter. You guys remember there's a person behind the gun that would use any means necessary right?

Reactions: Soulsilve2010

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alot of good that does. I have a friend with a full auto BAR and another with a full auto m16. I personally own 40cal black talons. The law doesn't matter. And Here's the problem with trying to turn this into a gun control issue. You are taking liability away from the shooter. You guys remember there's a person behind the gun that would use any means necessary right?
Simple then, report your friend and get him fined and/or his firearm taken away. If you know that he possesses an illegal firearm and you choose to do nothing about it, that technically makes you an accessory to a crime

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
"Any means necessary." It doesn't matter. A katana or a bow or whatever the fuck else is not gonna kill seventeen people in a matter of minutes. These firearms are obviously more advanced than any that civilians had access to in the past. But hey, let's just keep cannibalizing ourselves as a nation because that's what we've been doing anyway, right? I know it doesn't matter. I know the second amendment is probably tied for first most holy, and people will get their guns as they always have. Sometimes it's enough to make me want to move and change citizenship despite living a comfortable life here. I own a couple guns myself, but the crowd that lives and breathes and fucks guns is something different. Especially those heartless in the face of tragedies like this one and all those in the recent past just because they want to be quick to clutch their pearls (gun rights). God forbid we ever went down to only 10 guns on the street for every citizen.

Simple then, report your friend and get him fined and/or his firearm taken away. If you know that he possesses an illegal firearm and you choose to do nothing about it, that technically makes you an accessory to a crime
True...he could report him as anonymous, but I don't like to impose morality one way or another. The bigger picture is definitely the bigger problem in America anyway, and certainly nothing positive in regard to guns will be happening under Trump.

Last edited by Xzi,

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In video game land and John Wick, sure. In real life guns often aren't the optimal home defense weapon, because you need to know beforehand something is going down, and you need at least 8-10 feet to get a shot off before someone can close the gap. The confined spaces of your typical home make knives, tasers, and pepperspray more effective. These are also weapons small enough to carry at all times.

Pepper spray can be effective, but you have to be fairly accurate and somewhat close range. Not to mention it's just an irritant and doesn't necessarily mean you're going to actually disable the intruder.
Knives and tasers both require close range, and if you're weaker and not accustomed to fighting, means you probably will not win that encounter. Both are fairly ineffective against more than one opponent too. You're talking out of your ass m8. A gun might not be pleasant to use indoors because of the noise echo, but I guarantee I can shoot your stupid ass at 1 ft and 10ft, with increasing simplicity the closer you get. That's typically how aiming works. We don't use muskets and flintlock pistols anymore, they're fairly fast and fairly accurate.

Again there's no simple solution, and it's stupid to think there could be. I'm a big guy, I could probably beat someone to death with just about anything I have in my room currently, not to mention I know how to fight. But someone smaller and weaker has no real chance of defending themselves just because they're armed with a taser or knife. I wouldn't be scared of a 14 year old girl with a knife. But a 14 year old girl with a gun? I'm either dead or jumping out a window.

Reactions: DarthDub

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
"Any means necessary." It doesn't matter. A katana or a bow or whatever the fuck else is not gonna kill seventeen people in a matter of minutes. These firearms are obviously more advanced than any that civilians had access to in the past. But hey, let's just keep cannibalizing ourselves as a nation because that's what we've been doing anyway, right? I know it doesn't matter. I know the second amendment is probably tied for first most holy, and people will get their guns as they always have. Sometimes it's enough to make me want to move and change citizenship despite living a comfortable life here. I own a couple guns myself, but the crowd that lives and breathes and fucks guns is something different. Especially those heartless in the face of tragedies like this one and all those in the recent past just because they want to be quick to clutch their pearls (gun rights). God forbid we ever went down to only 10 guns on the street for every citizen.
I was speaking more along the lines of using pipebombs, anthrax, arson, etc. They've all been done before. You guys seem to think it's a easy as just making guns illegal. It's not that simple. Heroin has been 100% illegal for at least 100 years. We have the largest death toll from heroin od today then we've ever had before.

If guns were banned, or even more controlled then they are now, people would stock up. They would get their hands on every gun and bit of ammo they could for fear that they would be without. This has been proven when the government was buying up all the rounds they could a few years ago. Prices on ammo went sky high, and people were going nuts to stock up. Gun control would make the gun situation worse. And the harder they pushed the more people would push back. The reason the government hasn't tried to come and take our guns is because we have guns.

That would be a dick thing to do

Last edited by WeedZ,

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I am desensitized to most shootings. After all, some parts of the world are in the middle of civil wars.

But whenever it's a school I feel sad.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Pepper spray can be effective, but you have to be fairly accurate and somewhat close range. Not to mention it's just an irritant and doesn't necessarily mean you're going to actually disable the intruder.
Knives and tasers both require close range, and if you're weaker and not accustomed to fighting, means you probably will not win that encounter.
Heh, shows what you know of the different Scoville values in pepper spray, some of which can blind a person for well over a day. Also you have options for ranged and baton tasers. Both fantastic weapons if you pick a quality product. I've also got a large double-sided knife with full steel-knuckle handguard that's fun to play with. Guns are obviously your most lethal option, but still not likely to be your most effective unless you're one of those weirdos who is always strapped. Easier to keep good pepper spray or a good taser/small knife nearby.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You're absolutely right, but the only way that laws like that work is if they're enforced. By allowing your friend to keep automatic weapons, both you and your friend are part of the problem
What problem? In what world is there a set of infallible rules? Laws don't have any supernatural moral authority behind them. You know what enforces laws? Dudes with guns. You know who makes laws, dudes in suits. There was a time when I would have been "part of the problem" for letting a black person take my seat on a bus.

If there were a civil war, an invasion from another country, civil uprising, we'd be lucky to have people with weaponry. Laws are just rules for people too stupid to make the right decisions on their own. Betraying my friends over something petty as owning a weapon that never sees the light of day is an idiotic thing to do. We can't just trust the rule makers have our best interests at heart.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I was speaking more along the lines of using pipebombs, anthrax, arson, etc. They've all been done before. You guys seem to think it's a easy as just making guns illegal. It's not that simple. Heroin has been 100% illegal for at least 100 years. We have the largest death toll from heroin od today then we've ever had before.
Nah my thought process would be a buyout for all unwanted/excess guns across the country, including from pawn shops and etc. Fair pricing of course. Not making guns illegal, of course that wouldn't work.

If guns were banned, or even more controlled then they are now, people would stock up. They would get their hands on every gun and bit of ammo they could for fear that they would be without. This has been proven when the government was buying up all the rounds they could a few years ago. Prices on ammo went sky high, and people were going nuts to stock up. Gun control would make the gun situation worse. And the harder they pushed the more people would push back. The reason the government hasn't tried to come and take our guns is because we have guns.
Oh please. The government does not need our guns, and the NRA will give you any line to sell you a gun when prices are highest (like they were during the moronic panic of the Obama years).

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure: