• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

About today’s Florida shooting

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Of course the person itself is the source issue, but you can’t deny that gun laws make it worse. A crazy person with a gun is more dangerous than a crazy person with a knife. You can’t make laws to prevent crazy persons but you can make laws that prevent crazy persons with a gun.
We have laws to prevent crazy people from getting guns. There are background checks to buy a gun and you have to take classes and get a license to carry one. History of psychological issues is looked for in the background check. The point is, if guns are completely outlawed, only criminals and psychopaths will have them.

Reactions: DarthDub

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought you said that they had good security? Also I commented on good security a few pages ago. Stop going in circles. It's getting us no where.
They do have good security, or so it seemed, they have a police officer there every day and they're in a gated community. I don't know what better security you want.

My point is that seemingly good security isn't the gold star from mario kart, it doesn't make you immune to harm. To reduce shooting violence you need other things as well, namely mental health reform and restrictions on guns that aren't for self defense.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
They do have good security, or so it seemed, they have a police officer there every day and they're in a gated community. I don't know what better security you want.

My point is that seemingly good security isn't the gold star from mario kart, it doesn't make you immune to harm. To reduce shooting violence you need other things as well, namely mental health reform and restrictions on guns that aren't for self defense.
Its a weird subject. Mentality.

Navonod

Luigi from Luigi's Mansion
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no way to know what would have happened. Assuming he already had his weapon drawn, security might not have been quick enough to keep from getting shot. Or a bunch of kids get shot in the shootout between the gunman and security anyway.
Again. Full alert. Security Cameras. Watching said cameras. See some kid with a gun walking toward school. Investigate. Draw your weapon. Demand he drop his weapon and get on the ground. If he doesn't listen, shoot him for not listening. 1 dead attempted murderer.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So what do you suggest, that more and more shootings occur and we sit back twiddling our thumbs and just say "lol okay"?
Well, let's ban airplanes because terrorists like to crash them, maybe ban trucks too. We could ban backpacks because they like to carry bombs in them.

Navonod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm going to stop replying to you after this. Go back and read my past comments. I touched base on all of this.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Again. Full alert. Security Cameras. Watching said cameras. See some kid with a gun walking toward school. Investigate. Draw your weapon. Demand he drop his weapon and get on the ground. If he doesn't listen, shoot him for not listening. 1 dead attempted murderer.
To be fair, that's assuming the cop/guard doesn't drop first.

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

The GBATemp Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last school shooting in Europe was somewhere in the 90s.

I'm sorry but anyone saying "it's not the guns, it's the person" is wrong.
It is the ease of access to guns.
Civilians in Europe aren't allowed to have semi-auto weapons or firearms of any kind (excluding hunting rifles with permits n extensive background checks n what not)
The worst we got on school is perhaps a gun flashing or 1 death by a ghost gun but that barely happens.

It's not the guns, it's not the person it's not the parents.
It's the ease of access to firearms
You don't need a firearm to protect your property, a kitchen knife will also do fine.

And if the person is troubled, send him to an institute or w/e.
School knew about his problems and the school already suspended him for bringing a firearm to said school.
The principal could've prevented this, unfortunately in hindsight.

I know I will receive tons of quotes on this post.
Mostly from disgruntled Americans going "muh gun laws, muh second amendment" n what not.
I don't care, it's me personal opinion on the subject and I will be ignoring any quoted posts.
In my redneck voice
I as a proud american I am disgusted by your "comment" about muh gun I think you brits a.kk.k city slickers should keep off dis here form before I sick my hound on ya

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It's definitely a weird subject, but we should still aim for better mental health conditions. No point in not trying i guess.
See, where would we start... We live in a day and age where we coddle everybody and nurture some weird nature in children.

D

Deleted User

Well, let's ban airplanes because terrorists like to crash them, maybe ban trucks too. We could ban backpacks because they like to carry bombs in them.
Jesus no. But a couple more restrictions/burdens to pass couldn’t hurt. Could be the point of whether or not another mass shooting occurs

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, let's ban airplanes because terrorists like to crash them
We banned box cutters on commercial flights because that's what the 9/11 extremists used to take control of them.
The TSA now checks everyone's shoes because one person hid a bomb in them

We DO regulate these things, that's not nearly as outlandish as you make it out to be

Reactions: Deleted User

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This happens cleanly like 1/1000 times. The kid's already approaching with his gun drawn and murderous intent.

Also, he's 19, not really a kid.
We have laws to prevent crazy people from getting guns.
Well...we did. Trump is repealing weapon sales regulations as fast as he possibly can.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...aad7d6-a86b-11e7-8ed2-c7114e6ac460_story.html

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to stop replying to you after this. Go back and read my past comments. I touched base on all of this.
If you find me annyoing by all means stop replying to me, I won't take offense.

What I'm trying to say is I have read all your past comments, in fact I just went and read them all again. You seem not to favor restrictions on non self defense weapons because you can't fully control the flow of the. You're right that you cant, but every bit you stop helps. Does the school also need better security? Maybe. But where I disagree with you is that it needs more in addition to that.

Again, I'm not trying to tease you or ignore points you make or anything. I respect you, but I stand by the points I made. If you don't care to interact with them don't, I won't take offense.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
[QUOT
We banned box cutters on commercial flights because that's what the 9/11 extremists used to take control of them.
The TSA now checks everyone's shoes because one person hid a bomb in them

We DO regulate these things, that's not nearly as outlandish as you make it out to be
There was never a time that you could blades/weapons on a plane.

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's that time of the year again!
It seems like there has to be some kind of obligatory school shooting on a per-year basis.
I personally think it's a people problem.
The gun is just a firearm. It isn't bad by itself. The problem begins when firearm regulations
allow people with fucked up minds access them easily. You should be able to need years of testing to
get a firearm, and it's not like pepper-spray doesn't exist.
Though unless you're an archer and you happen to have a concealed bow and quiver with you
at all times, ranged defense will be an issue.

Reactions: DarthDub and Kioku

Navonod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This happens cleanly like 1/1000 times. The kid's already approaching with his gun drawn and murderous intent.
I'm sure if a kid was walking down a road with his gun already pointed ready to shot that someone would have seen him and called the police and the school. Like how would he go unseen?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was never a time that you could blades/weapons on a plane.
http://www.historycommons.org/context.jsp?item=a111102boxcutters

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's that time of the year again!
It seems like there has to be some kind of obligatory school shooting on a per-year basis.
I personally think it's a people problem.
The gun is just a firearm. It isn't bad by itself. The problem begins when firearm regulations
allow people with fucked up minds access them easily. You should be able to need years of testing to
get a firearm, and it's not like pepper-spray doesn't exist.
Though unless you're an archer and you happen to have a concealed bow and quiver with you
at all times, ranged defense will be an issue.
It definitely h'ain't per-year anymore in the US, I'm afraid

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure if a kid was walking down a road with his gun already pointed ready to shot that someone would have seen him and called the police and the school. Like how would he go unseen?
I mean he probably didn't draw it until he was close to the school or on school grounds already. Being 19 he likely just drove and had the weapon in his trunk or covered in his car.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing that bothers me is that it's an "American problem". What to do, what to do...
Funny thing is that this kind of stuff is heard more often coming from the US rather than the rest of america... then, who has the fault? If it were only the fault of mailicious people then we would be hearing about mass shooting ocurring on south america for example more often, but do we? No, not really.

ThisIsDaAccount

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +2