• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

About today’s Florida shooting

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just imagine if Staff had guns. Less people would've died.
I've asked this so many fucking times and no one's graced me with an answer; what happens when either
a) staff go off the wall and shoot up a school with their school-issued gun, or
b) staff try to take down a would-be shooter and instead escalate the situation, and/or kids get in the crossfire

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I feel I need to make this point, I agree the guns need to go. I just don't think they ever will. Most of these school shootings are committed by minors (not this one mind you). I think when a minor commits a crime so grievous that it warrants them being tried as an adult, the parents should be put on trial too. After all, their children are their responsibility. What factors did they contribute to allow their child to commit the crime, or become a criminal in the first place? Often these kids use their family members weapons. Start holding parents accountable and see how often stuff like this happens.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
I've asked this so many fucking times and no one's graced me with an answer; what happens when either
a) staff go off the wall and shoot up a school with their school-issued gun, or
b) staff try to take down a would-be shooter and instead escalate the situation, and/or kids get in the crossfire
Let's talk about the staff member that jumped in front of students to take shots from the school shooter. If he had a gun, it would've ended right there. I don't get why you're against Staff being properly trained when we have so many school shootings. You're part of the problem if you think we should have Gun-Free Zones cause that's where most people die from gun violence.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Let's talk about the staff member that jumped in front of students to take shots from the school shooter. If he had a gun, it would've ended right there. I don't get why you're against Staff being properly trained when we have so many school shootings. You're part of the problem if you think we should have Gun-Free Zones use that's where most people die from gun violence.
I would say YOU are a part of the problem. If the guy never had a gun to begin with, this most likely wouldn't have happened. Just look once again at Australia. All I hear is people defending stuff, stuff we can live without.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Often these kids use their family members weapons. Start holding parents accountable and see how often stuff like this happens.
Oh I totally agree. If you prosecute the owner of the gun as well as the person who committed the crime, I guarantee we would see a lot higher gun safety practices and lower suicide rates/child living at home committing shootings

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Let's talk about the staff member that jumped in front of students to take shots from the school shooter. If he had a gun, it would've ended right there. I don't get why you're against Staff being properly trained when we have so many school shootings. You're part of the problem if you think we should have Gun-Free Zones cause that's where most people die from gun violence.
Staff should be properly trained to handle disaster situations, but they should never have firearms unless they're security. That's a disaster waiting to happen for so many reasons

And I'm baffled by how you managed to STILL not answer my question

Reactions: WeedZ

Chris_Highwind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sad reality is that nothing will happen. The killer will get a sentence, people will lament about his mental issues, then we move on to the next shooting. The conservatives will continue to be paid to claim that protesting guns means you hate everything that America represents, and their supporters will blindly agree with them and filter out any opinions that does not match theirs.

Do I support everything conservatives support? No, even if you think the paragraph above automatically means I do because I'm not protesting against it with every word I speak. But to beg and plead for our government to ban guns is basically to bash our heads against a reinforced steel door, hoping we can force it open.

Reactions: WeedZ

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But to beg and plead for our government to ban guns is basically to bash our heads against a reinforced steel door, hoping we can force it open.
To continue off of that metaphor: eventually something's going to cave in. We're just going have to see whether it will be the head or the steel door

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well then I redact my question and henceforth withdraw myself from this thread. Good day.
If that's what you think will be best in the long run, more power to you, and I hope no hard feelings between us. I thought it'd be best to post that here, though, because Chicago's gun problem always inevitably comes up in these conversations and I figured it'd be good to show that it isn't like that EVERYWHERE with strict gun laws

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that's what you think will be best in the long run, more power to you, and I hope no hard feelings between us. I thought it'd be best to post that here, though, because Chicago's gun problem always inevitably comes up in these conversations and I figured it'd be good to show that it isn't like that EVERYWHERE with strict gun laws

There's no hard feelings, rest assured, I'm just sick of seeing the general fighting back and forth on social media. Nothing ever gets resolved and the only thing I seem to see is contention and constant bitching about who's right and who's wrong. Not you, not at all, it's me.

Dante2405

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
To be honest my first reaction, being at work, was sadness for victims and their families :(

..but also a slight rolling of the eyes at the whole gun thing over on that side of the pond. The gun thing cannot be addressed so easily I admit - one can't simply wave a magic wand and make that whole complete balls up of an idea go away....
But the rolling eyes disappeared quickly when I got home and found out the weapon was an AK15?? Just what in the name of fuck are weapons like that doing in the hands of the US public?! My mind is just fukkin boggled, semi automatics available freely?! I mean of course the common stereotype for Americans is you're all a bit stupid yeah? In the same way as every Brit has hardly any teeth? You all kick off when the rest of the world calls you thick, but.... y'know? 19 year old kid walking into a high school with a semi automatic, for the umpteenth time? Come on lads, anyone still defending the gun issue here - get a grip...;)

Blaming the type of weapon is usless.
Officialy Californian laws banned full charger. Wich means that most of the time you can "officially" get only 7 or 8 rounds out of a weapon... in california that is...like you can't cross a state border with a charger. #rolleyes
But anyway, having a single shot hand gun or fully load Ak15 won't make it a "better" slaughter. No guns is the only answer. If that's even possible in USA.

This happened 10 minutes away from my house so ya, scary shit
Must be taught right now. carry on!

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
Usually the people who are against gun control laws because the black market won't be affected are also the same that say that Trump's wall will be very useful against illegal immigration.

:unsure:

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually the people who are against gun control laws because the black market won't be affected are also the same that say that Trump's wall will be very useful against illegal immigration.

Or that abortion should be illegal
Or that transgendered individuals shouldn't be able to use the bathroom of their own gender because some might be paeophiles

Dante2405

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

That's even funnier when you think about all the coyotes that get illegal immigrants in the US by diging tunnels. How a wall is supposed to stop that?

Reactions: IncredulousP

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The shooting reminds me that there's never any guarantee that you or your loved ones will come home. Could be from school, grocery shopping, work, even just something as simple as checking the mail, anything at all. Any moment anyone can be gone in an instant. Every moment it's possible that you may never see someone ever again. Always be kind, always show your love for those close to you, always be sure they know how important they are to you, always tell them you love them before they head out the door or before you wont be seeing them for a while. No matter how short of a time they might be away. It may be your last opportunity.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree"