Dead and alive
OP
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It can get kind of annoying when people call you the wrong thing. A lot of the GBATemp population have feminine avatars when they are male (probably some with masculine avatars that are female) and non-gender-specific names (or sometimes their name sounds like the opposite gender to what they are in their profile) so these mixups happen often. It results in people having to awkwardly use sentence structures that leave out the gender, or making a (sometimes incorrect) assumption.

So, this is a suggestion to subtly remind people what gender other users have labelled themselves in their profile, so such awkwardness can be reduced somewhat. Akin to having the social cues of voice and looks - nothing in your face but it just works at the back of their mind.
  1. Change "[person's name] mentioned you in a post in [thread name]" to "[person's name] mentioned you in her or his post in [thread name]"
  2. (In the case that the OP replies to their own thread) Change "[person's name] replied to the thread [thread name]" to "[person's name] replied to her or his thread [thread name]"
And when the person's gender is not specified in their profile, then leave it as it is now.

I can't think of any other sorts of notification titles where you could sneak a her or his in, but just these two circumstances would help.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
That is fucking retarded. "Their" implies a group of people, one person isn't a "their."
I thought that as well, but it turns out "they/them/their" can be used as a singular person pronoun.

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
In adult daycare centres also known as campuses?
No. it's just grammatically correct :mellow:
I too felt it was unusual, but it does work when the person is unknown, or ambiguous.

Reactions: Deleted User

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, and the rest of the English speaking world.
You learn new things every day.
Actually it was around one year ago or so I noticed the singular use of "they", and later went up to check around and it was used like that everywhere.
It may seem weird, but when English is not your first language you are taught in kind of a formal way, and teachers only taught you the plural use of they.

The singular use for a non-native sounds completely weird, but it is exactly because they have selectively avoided it in formal teaching, and you don't have contact as a kid with native english speakers to notice on your own.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Since when was grammar on an online gaming forum important?
If grammar isn't important then just write as you please.

No. it's just grammatically correct :mellow:
I too felt it was unusual, but it does work when the person is unknown, or ambiguous.
Calling a single person by "they" or "their" just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Yes, and the rest of the English speaking world.
No, not really.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Actually it was around one year ago or so I noticed the singular use of "they", and later went up to check around and it was used like that everywhere.
It may seem weird, but when English is not your first language you are taught in kind of a formal way, and teachers only taught you the plural use of they.

The singular use for a non-native sounds completely weird, but it is exactly because they have selectively avoided it in formal teaching, and you don't have contact as a kid with native english speakers to notice on your own.
Dude, this is a new trend so that some people don't get their feelings hurt for 'misgendering' a him/her and instead want to be called they/their.

Reactions: Deleted User

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Calling a single person by "they" or "their" just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Just read this post, it summarizes what i thought as well.

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who is this really benefiting? I rarely see members be misgendered, and when I do, it's a new member calling @Crystal the Glaceon a male. I remember the genders of members because I see them a lot, and I think others do too. I think a new member wouldn't bother to read the notification and wouldn't actively search for the gender of the person helping them.

Whole lotta love

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Calling a single person by "they" or "their" just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. [citation needed]

No, not really. [citation needed]

Dude, this is a new trend so that some people don't get their feelings hurt for 'misgendering' a him/her and instead want to be called they/their.[citation needed]

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Dude, this is a new trend so that some people don't get their feelings hurt for 'misgendering' a him/her and instead want to be called they/their.
No, it is not new. I researched about it.
It is something that existed in informal spoken language since always (14th century according to wikipedia), but grammarists disliked so they told people not to write like that.
Then since the 70s it seems grammarists started to give up, and people use it for all kinds of official documents since then.

PS: Also, I will steal this quote
Somebody said:
Language is a living thing. We can feel it changing. Parts of it become old: they drop off and are forgotten. New pieces bud out, spread into leaves, and become big branches, proliferating.
Meaning the language changes with the people anyway, what was wrong yesterday may be right today and so. E.g. British English is slowly turning quite American in the use of "-ize" instead of "-ise" lately (according to what I've read).

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

VinsCool

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, everyone.

Can we just agree that the current way notifications are shown is fine? Best would be to change his/her to their. Other than that, i guess things are fine already.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

No, not really.

If its going to be used as a singular than what matters is context. "Ask someone if they could help." This makes sense.

"Are they going to the mall?" This doesn't make sense if you're talking directly to the person. You would say instead, "Are you going to the mall?"

Last edited by SG854,

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey, everyone.

Can we just agree that the current way notifications are shown is fine? Best would be to change his/her to their. Other than that, i guess things are fine already.
All is fine, changes would be cosmetic really.

Actually, the only thing that burns my eyes from that discussed here is the likes of "VinsCool also commented on VinsCool's status.", sound like a stereotyped Japanese girl trying to pass by cute and talking of herself in the third person... /s?

Reactions: VinsCool
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    +1
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
    +1
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @rqkaiju2, Physical media is a great source for archiving your data, none of that cloud storage shiz.
    +1
    [squeezes @SylverReZ onto a physical media, then archives you in my old stuff box] :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, should i change my pfp to one of these or keep it the same?
    iu

iu

(i guess i could change it to one of my other pfps too, but i just want to see what you guys think first)
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: guys, should i change my pfp to one of these or keep it the same? (i guess i could change it...