Gaming After the 3DS, will you ever be able to go back?

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Rayder said:
You know those glasses that you use for 3D movies? Well those don't work for people with only one eye. It's the same thing with the 3DS, but it's the 3DS that's wearing the glasses, so to speak.
They do!

Remember how I messaged you about this? I went to the cinema with my son and we watched a 3D movie and the 3D effects worked for him (also, to make sure it works for him I was watching about 20minutes of the movie with one eye closed) at one point he even reached his hand out for something that was floating out of the screen, so yeah. The effects are a lot less compared to watching with both eyes, but still very noticeable.

But I still wonder how the 3DS will work for my son. :/

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Trollology said:
I once heard somewhere that nowadays there are solutions for blindness. If you can afford, see what ophthalmologists say about your eye
wink.gif
After what happened to his eye, I doubt it...
frown.gif

Anyway, I think I'll be fine with it. I'm used to 2D displays as it is; even though I've watched 3D films I can still go back to 2D television (though 3D cinema is far more epic
wink.gif
).
And maybe it's this screen, but I've said a few times after seeing 3DS screenshots, the extra dimensionality seems to come across in them even though this isn't a 3D screen. If any of you saw maybe you'd see what I'm trying to get across.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
3DS, hmm?

[sarcasm]Well shit, I can emulate the Virtual Boy and make red/cyan glasses, so I don't even need a 3ds for 3D.[/sarcasm]

[not sarcasm]Damn, though, Teleroboxer was some neat shit for its time.[/not sarcasm]

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If one eye doesn't see as well as the other, that would affect a person's perception of depth.

Many people think they can just shut one eye for a few seconds and that gives them any idea how it is to see without both eyes. NO! Put a patch on your STRONG EYE and then keep it on ALL DAY. Start in the morning and wear it until you crash out. You will begin to understand the difference between 2D and 3D vision.

An easy way to tell which is your strong eye (usually) is when you are out in the sun, which eye do you close? You just closed your weaker eye. Put the patch over the strong eye that you normally kept open.

Doing this little "experiment in 2D/3D vision" may even make your weak eye stronger by forcing it to work harder all day, all by itself, without the help of your strong eye. For any adults, it is recommended that you don't drive or operate heavy machinery while running this "experiment". Kids shouldn't ride bikes or run on uneven surfaces or otherwise "play too much". Trust me on this. BE CAREFUL.

Trust me when I say, it will be a very "eye opening" experience. I'm not even kidding.

Some side-effects may include; getting a bad headache, accidentally knocking stuff over, banging into things, misjudging steps (steps can be deadly to anyone running this experiment. BE CAREFUL!), playing catch won't work so well anymore, and a plethora of optical illusions that only one-eyed people can be fooled into seeing.

You fail if you take off the eye patch for any reason besides sleeping and showering. But if you do manage to keep it one ALL DAY, that one day of absolute hell (and don't think it won't be just that) will yield quite a bit of knowledge upon reflection. I'd say at least a +1 for wisdom.

Who am I kidding, none of you will take the challenge anyway.
unsure.gif

LunaWofl

Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Rayder said:
If one eye doesn't see as well as the other, that would affect a person's perception of depth.

Many people think they can just shut one eye for a few seconds and that gives them any idea how it is to see without both eyes. NO! Put a patch on your STRONG EYE and then keep it on ALL DAY. Start in the morning and wear it until you crash out. You will begin to understand the difference between 2D and 3D vision.

An easy way to tell which is your strong eye (usually) is when you are out in the sun, which eye do you close? You just closed your weaker eye. Put the patch over the strong eye that you normally kept open.

Doing this little "experiment in 2D/3D vision" may even make your weak eye stronger by forcing it to work harder all day, all by itself, without the help of your strong eye. For any adults, it is recommended that you don't drive or operate heavy machinery while running this "experiment". Kids shouldn't ride bikes or run on uneven surfaces or otherwise "play too much". Trust me on this. BE CAREFUL.

Trust me when I say, it will be a very "eye opening" experience. I'm not even kidding.

Some side-effects may include; getting a bad headache, accidentally knocking stuff over, banging into things, misjudging steps (steps can be deadly to anyone running this experiment. BE CAREFUL!), playing catch won't work so well anymore, and a plethora of optical illusions that only one-eyed people can be fooled into seeing.

You fail if you take off the eye patch for any reason besides sleeping and showering. But if you do manage to keep it one ALL DAY, that one day of absolute hell (and don't think it won't be just that) will yield quite a bit of knowledge upon reflection. I'd say at least a +1 for wisdom.

unsure.gif
Challenge accepted.

Alato

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Absolutely not- I haven't been able to touch any other games since I got my virtual boy. Finally the 3DS will be a system I can enjoy as much as the virtual boy, but there's no going back to obsolete 2D gaming.

I'm gonna try out that eye thing. I just need to find myself some eyepatch.

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FrozenIndignation said:
Rayder said:

unsure.gif
Challenge accepted.

Kenpachi vision? Challenge accepted.

LunaWofl

Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Veho said:
FrozenIndignation said:
Challenge accepted.
And make sure to play catch or have people toss you things and try to catch them with the eyepatch on.
My, but even with both eyes open i tend to suck at catching things
laugh.gif

On second thought, that would just generate more interesting data
wink.gif

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Panzer Tacticer said:
Nope. 99% of the games I play, regardless of machine playing them, have zero need or use of 3d.

3d is like anything else, just a quality of the experience. Doesn't automatically make something better. I loved the shit out of Avatar, and would have liked it as much in non 3d as I did 3d.
Then again, I have no depth perception eh. 3d is largely lost on me half the time. Yes people, some of us actually have eye sight that doesn't see in 3 dimensions the way most of you do. My eyes both view indpendently of each other (yes it is not easy being me). What's odd, is I CAN see depth, I am just unable to see it the way you would. The doctor told me, my 'software' is different than you.

Figures eh, my brain is likely running Linux
smile.gif
You are all running Windows.
Is it that you see with your right eye and your brain recognizes it as if your looking with your left eye and vice versa?
Because switching the right image with the left in a Stereo3D image would solve your problem.
I don't know, it's just a thought.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
Doing this little "experiment in 2D/3D vision" may even make your weak eye stronger by forcing it to work harder all day, all by itself, without the help of your strong eye.
That's what they did for my little sister's lazy eye, made her wear a patch over the strong one.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
3DS will offer new, exciting games, but there will always be room for old style gaming ( look at DKR for the Wii.....new system same ol' gameplay! ) .
I'm sure I'll be back and sill play some DS games every one in a while.
Now, the thing that will make me NOT want to come back...that would be, without a shadow of a doubt, the 3DS XL !;)
It's true, I currently play in the DSi XL and if I ever swith on the DSL or GBA I feel like I'm going blind !
Bigger is better !
3DS XL for the win !

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
I will, mainly because I am partially sighted in one eye.
I can only see blured objects and because of that can't enjoy stereoscopic 3D.
Holograms however...

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well as explained to me by the eye doctor, my brain simply has 'learned' to see depth intellectually, as opposed to normal stereoscopic vision.

You know those eye test charts, they ask you what do you see (on the all grayish looking surface)? There is a 3d image in it that you see if your eyes are at the right distance. It's part of a test for glasses to determine your vision range.
In my case the image is not there, I see nothing.

If I lost an eye tomorrow, life would go on and I would notice nothing. As I type, I am usually only using one eye. The other is usually either closed, or merely left out of focus.
I can switch from either eye. Losing one means only my field of view shrinks in width. I see more comfortably in the dark where detail is diminished. Although technically depth perception is more important in black and white.

I see depth purely as a result of my brain knowing how to perceive it as such.
Has it's limits though. Walking in a store looking at a row of books I get blurred out motion as my eyes are basically sending the signal twice. I actually see everything twice. Motion plays hell with that.

I am used to extremely fine detail work though. My eyes are quite powerful, merely not capable of 3d correctly.
One additional quality that I have had for years, is I can see in opposing directions. Really unnerves people to know I can see in two different directions simultaneously
smile.gif

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have no idea, I have problems seeing anything in 3D (3D TV's, Movies, ect.) So the 3DS might not make that big an impact on me other than the awesome features it's promising.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Hell yeah. I probably won't even play the games in 3D. And even if I did, I'm a huge nostalgia fag; I can't be without playing classics for a long time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb9aRPpmidM