Allegations arise of sexual harassment towards Nintendo of America's female testers

images

Once again Nintendo hits the headlines, but this time not for the "lighthearted" news you might expect, not even their obnoxious DMCA notice. Several female testers have spoken out about certain inappropriate comments, advances, and overall "frat-like" ambient that they experienced from both co-workers and superiors during their stay at NoA as testers. The allegations even seem to indicate harsh behaviours not only based on sex, but also towards employees of different sexual orientations.

The accusations have been reported and published by Kotaku just a few days ago, in quite a lengthy article going into great detail about the several stories they've gathered regarding the different accusations and claims from inside the NoA offices.

The recent claims have reached the attention of Nintendo of America's current president, Doug Bowser, to which he sent an internal message to their employees:

Doug Bowser said:
We have and will always investigate any allegations we become aware of, and we are actively investigating these most recent claims.

It is currently unknown if there is an active legal action against specific employees.

:arrow: Source #1
:arrow: Source #2

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I just hope they got proof, because it is incredible that on this day and age, there are so FN' many false alegations without proof.
Can you name any or have any numbers? Equally, is there enough to discredit every case?

Reactions: nxwing

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kotaku were the ones that initially did the interviews and got responses with the alleged victims.
That's why they're linked as the main source in this case.
Okay, but their credibility went out the window years ago. They're the BuzzFeed of gaming. Polygon and Jim Sterling are about the same level of how reliable Kotaku are. lol

Speaking of Jim Sterling, he gave Sonic Colors a 4.5/10 twelve years ago, but yet again it shows why game journalists are a joke.

https://www.destructoid.com/reviews/review-sonic-colors/

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got accused of sexually harassing a girl in middle school. Shit sucked, everyone believed the girl, and I was almost expelled. The girl ended up confessing when the police got involved, and everyone still seen me as a perverted creep, and I had to change schools.

And no, I didn't harass the girl, I wasn't even attracted to her. She just didn't like me, which I'll never understand why.

Reactions: Dragon91Nippon

HalfScoper

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the gigaleak provided hard evidence of women getting mistreated in game development (starfox dev Argonaut) so It's not really something that's hard to believe. It doesn't mean things definitely did or didn't happen, it just means it's likely.
The person that wrote this mail was right though, especially the end sealed the deal for me.
1661194613869.png

Honestly, what did you expect from news about sexual harassment? Every time this shit pops up the "alpha males" of GBATemp appear to spew acid on the victims
You ain't getting laid with that attitude Cpt. Cringe.

I got accused of sexually harassing a girl in middle school. Shit sucked, everyone believed the girl, and I was almost expelled. The girl ended up confessing when the police got involved, and everyone still seen me as a perverted creep, and I had to change schools.

And no, I didn't harass the girl, she just didn't like me, which I'll never understand why.
Classic wymen, I hope you did or will recover from it.

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Can you name any or have any numbers? Equally, is there enough to discredit every case?
I don't want the whole deal to be "discredit every case" on the world, but I have seen many cases where innocent people gets fucked up because someone said so.

There are plenty of cases like that, the last famous case is Jhonny Deep. You just need to make a little search and you will find so many shit like this

http://www.prosecutorintegrity.org/pr/survey-over-20-million-have-been-falsely-accused-of-abuse/

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
False accusations make up roughly 2% of all reported claims. The idea that all accusations need to be treated with such scrutiny is just wrong and the reason why most victims don’t come forward. Statistically speaking, it’s more likely that these claims have more legitimacy than falsehood. This isn’t to say that there’s not going to be any falsehood, but it is to say that we shouldn’t just assume falsehood off the bat due to an extremely small fraction of false claims.
Depends on what level of sexual crime we're talking about. For rape, provably false accusations make up somewhere from 2% - 10% of claims depending on which study you cite. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the crime most claims are neither provably true or false. As a result, the actual rate of false claims is unknown and most likely unknowable. All that being said, I agree with you that the majority of those unprovable claims are probably truthful and should be investigated with all due seriousness. Of course, this post is about workplace sexual harassment, so there's more likely to be hard evidence in either direction.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't want the whole deal to be "discredit every case" on the world, but I have seen many cases where innocent people gets fucked up because someone said so.

There are plenty of cases like that, the last famous case is Jhonny Deep. You just need to make a little search and you will find so many shit like this

http://www.prosecutorintegrity.org/pr/survey-over-20-million-have-been-falsely-accused-of-abuse/
I appreciate your follow up with an actual source. I do want note that the source seems more leaning towards domestic cases and seems to note that most cases seem linked to divorce cases. I am actually kind of interested in the reason why so many false accusations arise in divorce cases but that’s a different topic and one I will be researching on my own time

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: nWo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.