Allegations arise of sexual harassment towards Nintendo of America's female testers

images

Once again Nintendo hits the headlines, but this time not for the "lighthearted" news you might expect, not even their obnoxious DMCA notice. Several female testers have spoken out about certain inappropriate comments, advances, and overall "frat-like" ambient that they experienced from both co-workers and superiors during their stay at NoA as testers. The allegations even seem to indicate harsh behaviours not only based on sex, but also towards employees of different sexual orientations.

The accusations have been reported and published by Kotaku just a few days ago, in quite a lengthy article going into great detail about the several stories they've gathered regarding the different accusations and claims from inside the NoA offices.

The recent claims have reached the attention of Nintendo of America's current president, Doug Bowser, to which he sent an internal message to their employees:

Doug Bowser said:
We have and will always investigate any allegations we become aware of, and we are actively investigating these most recent claims.

It is currently unknown if there is an active legal action against specific employees.

:arrow: Source #1
:arrow: Source #2

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
The very first paragraph of this article refers to screenshots being taken. You can really tell who here didn't bother to actually read the article.

Sorry, I mean, pRoOf? Obviously an accusation can't be true unless all proof is published immediately on the internet, that's just standard procedure. Better assume it's false, that's the smart baseless assumption to make.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
False accusations make up roughly 2% of all reported claims. The idea that all accusations need to be treated with such scrutiny is just wrong and the reason why most victims don’t come forward. Statistically speaking, it’s more likely that these claims have more legitimacy than falsehood. This isn’t to say that there’s not going to be any falsehood, but it is to say that we shouldn’t just assume falsehood off the bat due to an extremely small fraction of false claims.
Regardless of how common false accusations are, it's still far fairer to treat any and all accused persons as innocent unless found guilty. If there's any reasonable doubt as to their guiltiness, they're innocent.

You say we shouldn't just assume falsehood? I counter that it's far more ethical to do just that, than it is to automatically believe it's the truth and the accused are guilty.

Even if there's (for example) 1000 accusations and 900 are true, each one shouldn't influence the next - each case is different and should be handled as its own thing, and just assuming 9/10 being true means they're all true means that 100 accused people (very likely to be men) are wrongfully convicted, which is incredibly inhumane and unacceptable.

Last edited by AkiraKurusu,

Alternis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Gotta love how it's always generic bullshit and never stuff with hard proof.

I used to be harassed by a manager. When I was insulted for not going to work when my grandfather died I finally decided to take action and from that moment I ALWAYS registered any conversation I had with her. At the end of my contract, when she pressured hard not to renew me, I spilled the beans: phone calls, meetings, emails, as well as my reports.

This is yet another "frat-like ambient!!1" accusation full of nothing.
God I hate gamers sometimes

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Regardless of how common false accusations are, it's still far fairer to treat any and all accused persons as innocent unless found guilty. If there's any reasonable doubt as to their guiltiness, they're innocent.

You say we shouldn't just assume falsehood? I counter that it's far more ethical to do just that, than it is to automatically believe it's the truth and the accused are guilty.
I don’t believe falsehood should be assumed, it should be proven. Assuming only taints the legal process and only contributes to the problem. In the legal system it’s innocent until proven guilty and that’s how it should be.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Poor women... Forced to support tyranny of "superrior gender" when anyone minimally aware would know that female IS the superrior gender in most way than the male is

Equality means that there is NO superior gender... Muthaf*ckas these days don't want equality and equity, they want preferential treatment and that's one of the major issues these days. Unless you're rich, we're all in the same damn boat. There are bigger issues to deal with right now like global warming, government corruption and replacing capitalism with a damn system that works for everyone.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Equality means that there is NO superior gender... Muthaf*ckas these days don't want equality and equity, they want preferential treatment and that's one of the major issues these days. Unless you're rich, we're all in the same damn boat. There are bigger issues to deal with right now like global warming, government corruption and replacing capitalism with a damn system that works for everyone.
I meant in a biological way

• Haha
Reactions: Dragon91Nippon

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
The Vaporeon part. This is why mixing men and women in a work environment is a bad idea.

Men and women behave different. Men Crack jokes and that's how they bond. They test each other out. And find out who's the primadona of the group.

They try to mix women in without an understanding of male psychology which leads to problems like this. Trying to change man is like trying to pray the gay away or try to change trans. You can't. Men have ways of behaving and bonding that Women don't understand.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What do you expect when your current NOA president is an ex-EA employee

Not that some nasty stuff sure didn't happen before as well, I bet, just craptendo is really good at hiding their tracks, mh

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The Vaporeon part. This is why mixing men and women in a work environment is a bad idea.

Men and women behave different. Men Crack jokes and that's how they bond. They test each other out. And find out who's the primadona of the group.

They try to mix women in without an understanding of male psychology which leads to problems like this. Trying to change man is like trying to pray the gay away or try to change trans. You can't. Men have ways of behaving and bonding that Women don't understand.
Sounds like men are children and shouldn’t be in the workplace

Reactions: mituzora

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nothing wrong with a child like fun. Makes the gruesome work days go by without wanting to kill yourself.
Of course but one can’t determine that a literal “not safe for work” joke or behavior is inappropriate, then that’s something that needs to be called out. There’s a time and place for those kinds of jokes and it’s definitely not supposed to be when someone is on the clock.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotta love how it's always generic bullshit and never stuff with hard proof.

I used to be harassed by a manager. When I was insulted for not going to work when my grandfather died I finally decided to take action and from that moment I ALWAYS registered any conversation I had with her. At the end of my contract, when she pressured hard not to renew me, I spilled the beans: phone calls, meetings, emails, as well as my reports.

This is yet another "frat-like ambient!!1" accusation full of nothing.

no you can't question women, all women are always telling the truth, unless amber heard got a job there... and mattress girl, and ford.... man this whole denial thing didnt age well.

Reactions: ZeroFX

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Of course but one can’t determine that a literal “not safe for work” joke or behavior is inappropriate, then that’s something that needs to be called out. There’s a time and place for those kinds of jokes and it’s definitely not supposed to be when someone is on the clock.
This has popped up so many times. It's like everywhere men are just these awful people. Men and toxic masculinity or whatever the buzzword is. This is why it's hard to believe.

Practically almost every society around the world through generations men abuse woman. Men have the power, men dominate. Or whatever. A lot less Queens of England and alot more of Man ruling society.

I think there is more to this then Men abuse Women.

Men and Women are just different

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This has popped up so many times. It's like everywhere men are just these awful people. Men and toxic masculinity or whatever the buzzword is. This is why it's hard to believe.

Practically almost every society around the world through generations men abuse woman. Men have the power, men dominate. Or whatever. A lot less Queens of England and alot more of Man ruling society.

I think there is more to this then Men abuse Women.

Men and Women are just different
Or maybe men shouldn't share NSFW at work. That's not really that tall of an ask.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: they need to have a strong line up on the launch titles too. I think they should move metroid...