Hacking Alleged first Vita flashcart

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There *is* a scenario where this would make sense, and it's an outlandish one - this setup would work if Cobra themselves had a massive server room that's composed of nothing but racks upon racks of video games in the verification machines. If that were the case, if the burden wasn't on the users to host them, it would be a reasonable service. As it is, it sort of defeats its own point, unless it's for legal backups only, which I can support.
Thats the only feasible way this can possibly be successful. No one else is gonna willingly stick their neck out to help others pirate, they are gonna need to set up their own farm somewhere with all these games people want to play. Make it a VPN and grant access using a license key in the same way Datel does with their Powersaves device so Sony doesnt ban each and every one of those handhelds, that can get expensive to replace quick.

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't quite understand this talk of banning. If your Vita is on a non-current firmware you can't properly log into PSN or Store anyway, and activation/adding DLC must be done with the initial setup/PS3 USB qCMA trick workaround I don't see how Sony could ban anyone on lower than 3.55 right now. I can't even check something simple like global high scores on Zen Pinball 2 without logging into PSN, which on my preferred Vita (Phat 3.18) leads to the standard "You must update the system software" nag screen. So as with many exploits surely the solution is stay slightly behind current FWs?

Reactions: Subtle Demise

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't quite understand this talk of banning. If your Vita is on a non-current firmware you can't properly log into PSN or Store anyway, and activation/adding DLC must be done with the initial setup/PS3 USB qCMA trick workaround I don't see how Sony could ban anyone on lower than 3.55 right now. I can't even check something simple like global high scores on Zen Pinball 2 without logging into PSN, which on my preferred Vita (Phat 3.18) leads to the standard "You must update the system software" nag screen. So as with many exploits surely the solution is stay slightly behind current FWs?
The concern is that if your console sends console-unique data to the cart, sony can use this information to ban the console, so that it can never access PSN again.

Reactions: wiewcw

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
The concern is that if your console sends console-unique data to the cart, sony can use this information to ban the console, so that it can never access PSN again.

That makes sense, but since carts work even when Flight Mode is on surely it's not likely that the Vita "calls home" with all the games it's authorised to play from the cart, i.e. dates and times and verification codes or whatever it is? Even assuming WiFi on and up to date firmware.

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That makes sense, but since carts work even when Flight Mode is on surely it's not likely that the Vita "calls home" with all the games it's authorised to play from the cart, i.e. dates and times and verification codes or whatever it is? Even assuming WiFi on and up to date firmware.
What I'm saying is that the data sent to Black Fin, which is broadcasted over P2P to everyone might contain console unique information.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I love the Vita, but it's dying. If you want more games cheaply, wait a little longer, after Sony abandon the console, there will be a brief period where games are hugely devalued and cheap to buy, then people will realise what a great console it was and start collecting and prices will go up and up.

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
I love the Vita, but it's dying. If you want more games cheaply, wait a little longer, after Sony abandon the console, there will be a brief period where games are hugely devalued and cheap to buy, then people will realise what a great console it was and start collecting and prices will go up and up.

I really, really like this theory. :-D

Xplic1T

Trophies
XP
Country
So has anybody gotten their hands on one ...

Some were supposed to go out before new years... I for one think its too far fetched to work and was just hype.

D

Deleted User

Seriously, if I don't hear anything from the Cobra team within the next month or so, I'm calling bullshit on this "Vita flashcard". It's Christmas, nearly the new year, and we haven't heard a single update on the Black Fin. :mellow:

Reactions: Subtle Demise

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
i gifted my vita away as it just didnt tick for me, p4g was amazing on it.

and i played Tales of Innocence R on it, but the library was not the thing..
and i still prefered my 3ds consoles, i have about 10 retail 3ds games, where i only had like 3 or 4 vita games, and i prefer the games that are on the 3ds more than the vita,

but the vita screen is very sleek , better looking fine HD looking..

i wish the 3ds was at least HD that would have been so perfect XD.

but if someday soon a vita CFW comes out and plays backups, i might be willing to buy a vita.

CFW with lot of control and having custom themes on it ,like similar to the psp ones.. would be so nice.

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

XenoWarrior

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's real :3
Edit:
Then again, release groups may be able to do a "scheduled rotation" of games and set up a calendar so people can launch a game they want on a certain day and let it run without shutting off their Vita for 2 days (or however long until that game gets rotated back again).

Would be nice to allow two (or more) consoles to authenticate a card (if the servers have not got a check for that).
Assuming the nature of the authentication is one card running on one console only, a rotations would be very handy to giving everyone a chance to play their ISOs.
Next best idea would be to reverse engineer the server used to authenticate the cards, but again, the encryption is said to be strong by Team Cobra themselves.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yummy yummy :rofl2: