Amazon, Disney, Google, and their power of censorship

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On Amazon I can't see any reviews of Rings of Power, and on IMDb they hid reviews scored 1 to 5, meaning only 6 and up are visible.

I'm not so concerned or interested about the show as I'm not a fan, but this level of censorship is very worrisome.

Speaking of censorship, Disney has disabled the comment section of Pinocchio 2022.

And for a while now, Google has hidden the dislikes although you can see them by installing a browser add-on or YouTube Vanced on Android.

Not to mention people get shadow banned on YouTube and other websites...

Anyway, the fact that corporations see users' opinions as a problem that's a path that won't end well for consumers who don't comply. 😬

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
On Amazon I can't see any reviews of Rings of Power, and on IMDb they hid reviews scored 1 to 5, meaning only 6 and up are visible.

They did it because it was getting review bombed by a small minority of people kicking off over how it diverged away from the original works. It's temporary while the dust settles and that group of people find something else to whine about. In this instance I agree with suppressing the reviews because they skew the rating and I'd rather see people's honest opinion rather than what a bunch of idiots throwing a hissy fit have to say.

Don't get me wrong, if people strongly disagree with the direction the show has taken then they have all the rights in the world to put that in their review, but they should at least articulate it in a thoughtful manner, putting their argument across so others can take it onboard and respond as they see fit. This wasn't happening though, it was the typical shit show you get when a bunch of woke keyboard warriors want to stir up a fuss :)

Reactions: nxwing

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They did it because it was getting review bombed by a small minority of people kicking off over how it diverged away from the original works. It's temporary while the dust settles and that group of people find something else to whine about. In this instance I agree with suppressing the reviews because they skew the rating and I'd rather see people's honest opinion rather than what a bunch of idiots throwing a hissy fit have to say.
Is diverging from beloved original works not a reason to kick off? From what I have seen so far the divergences are rather dramatic and don't work with key parts of established lore, characters and timelines. Equally is it a small minority? Tolkien has been a major figure in fantasy literature for almost a century at this point (granted Hobbit was not as popular as Lord of the Rings would become) and many of them seem at best nonplussed here.
You can do out of left field adaptations, or indeed even improve in it (people usually point at the Godfather films in this one), and some even come to like various changes more (there was a recent question when it seems the newest attempt to reboot the Addams Family is possibly going back to the original newspaper cartoons with Gomez rather than the 90s live action and then contemporary cartoon that went with it), but this seems to be neither.

Anyway back on topic. Their site their rules is in play, however dodging free speech and forgoing open criticism is a bad look. This is why I have to take great pains to use clearer/less meddled search engines (I am still quite liking duckduckgo), actively seek reviews that work for me and people that play to it (granted since the popularity of livestreams rose dramatically then you can usually find one and work sideways from there to see what various guests do and on and on), the dislikes restoration addon is questionable in its accuracy (though usually skews low) but can help, if you can dodge youtube for something less censor happy then do it (easier said than done for a lot of this I know, though the tide is changing slowly). Wish it was not the case but corporate wonks going to try to pull the wool over eyes of people, realise this, work around it -- your credibility is a currency you can only spend once (and modern internet makes even that hard to do successfully) and the big corps spent what little they had a long time ago so dodge that in favour of the new hotness, and if/when they in turn fall seek what replaces them.
They should just split user ratings into two categories, "normal people" and "raging bigots", problem solved.
I thought rotten tomatoes already sectioned off the paid for shill critics?

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did it because it was getting review bombed by a small minority of people kicking off over how it diverged away from the original works.
If it's just a small minority, then it shouldn't really affect the overall score, but...

KI8O5vX.jpg

The amount of people who found that 'review' unhelpful is surprisingly high. Censoring reviews just ends up making them look bad, and if the 1 star reviews are allegedly from trolls, then show them for what they are than hide them away.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Remove or hide the negative scores and comments is dumb for anything that was made by an adult. Bulling and harassment need to be removed, but negatives? Come on! People disliking the shit you do is something you need to deal with.

Anyway, best reviewing score system for me is the steam one. You either like or not, then the system shows the like to dislike ratio and end of story.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You know, I kinda realized something. I feel like these companies are using "woke culture" as a way to turn heads. I don't think they really care to give minorities more importance, they just want to get as much attention with a mediocre product as they would if they made something with actual effort.

I don't care about the Pinocchio movie, yet the new fairy mother made me want to discuss what the hell I was watching. It worked. And it did for millions of people.

With this, companies like Amazon and Disney now have double armor: they can claim criticism comes from "trolls" while also implying that the product sucks because "it's woke", leaving people with hope that they can do better if they, one day, decide to drop it. She-Hulk is a poorly made show, but it's awesome because it's woke, and it creates A TON of free advertisement because of how shitty some of the takes are.

Holy shit our world is ROTTEN. If Trump ever wins the US office again and gets the overwhelming majority of approval ratings, and Disney makes a Gaston movie about grabbing people by the pussy, I'll buy a house in the middle of nowhere and fuck off. I don't want to live on this planet anymore. Companies suck ass no matter what ____washing they try to do.

Reactions: Ephemeral9

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remove or hide the negative scores and comments is dumb for anything that was made by an adult. Bulling and harassment need to be removed, but negatives? Come on! People disliking the shit you do is something you need to deal with.

Anyway, best reviewing score system for me is the steam one. You either like or not, then the system shows the like to dislike ratio and end of story.
The Steam score system is great. It doesn't affect the product itself and you'll only read if you want, but Amazon relies on it as they show 1-5 stars on the browse page.

If they have a problem with the review score, reform it to be Steam-eque.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol