Gaming AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz overclock?

thegame07

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would really like some help with my AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz 9MB Cache. I'm a noob when it comes to gaming systems, this is my first one. I would like some advice with overclocking! I have read up on guides etc but I still don't have a clue what to do tbh. I know there is a program called oc tuner to overclock it, However I don't know where to start.

Here is my temps:

19 degress just with msn and gbatemp,defrag open. My room is really cold atm. When gaming the cpu seems to hit temps of 40-45 degrees.

Overclock or not?

It would be great if someone could help with my overclocking noobness, I would appreciate it.

A step to step guide would be great, much appreciated.

Edit! whoops need to fix the image.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tempsuh.png

Fixed image by the way

In my opnion you could try and see if your motherboard has any software overclocking utilities to install. I used mine to find a starting point at how much to overclock to before increasing it/decreasing it.

To overclock you go to the BIOS and increase the speed/clock of the CPU. It is also linked to your RAM and HT Link or somethign like that for AMD. You can also increase multipliers that multiply the core clock which gives you your final speed.

Slowly increasing those, test to make sure its stable, and increase again.
When it becomes more unstable, try adding (slightly) more power to the CPU and try again.

And obviously stop when it becomes unstable and increasing the CPU's wattage doesn't help. Too much wattage will kill your CPU. Most modern CPUs will shutdown the computer if it runs too how. But you could always look into an aftermarket fan.

The question to me is not "overclock or not?" But "How much can I overclock?" =D

thegame07

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
misteromar said:
You probably want a after market cooler if you are going to over clock.

yeah I have been actually looking around for one, My current one is completely shit.

I kind of don't want to risk doing something silly incase I do something wrong, I would rather be 100% sure. I need to put my hands up and say overclocking is really out of my league. I truly don't understand most of the guides I have read fully without help
hate2.gif

My cpu has turbo clock 3.3GHZ built in from what I read. When my cpu isn't using all of it's cores it boosts itself up to 3.3ghz automatically?

Thanks diablo for fixing that image
smile.gif

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
The default heatsinks on the AMD Phenom II series are more than good. They are pretty quiet and keep the proc cool enough in normal operation. I even used one on an older X2 which works fine but with way less noise.

Anyhoo, Turbo core is a system similar to one intel has that overclocks 3 cores (of your six) to 3,3GHz while the other 3 are set to 800MHz when only 3 or less cores are activly used. Think of it as if you have 6 rain collection barrels which have pumps to get the water out of them. Normally they all run at 5l/hour, however when only 3 (or less) of those barrels are full those three motors are set to 7l/hour and the other 3 (you only have diesel for 5x6=30 l/hour) are set to 3l/hour. That however is done because the cores also heat up when they are overclocked (among other things) and to make sure that doesn't go too far 3 of them are not OCd standard.

That does mean however that you can probably OC the proc to 3,3GHz without problems (Assuming AMD doesn't always use the same 3 cores / tests all cores on that speed).

Now-a-days it's pretty hard to break a CPU by overclocking (aside from the i7 series that had a maximum difference between certain voltages). As long as you don't up the voltages too much (keep the hell away from "auto" settings) you can simply try and up it little by little (or slightly less little by little, I usually do relativly large jumps to speed up the process and narrow the weak point down). However you have an X6... so in all honesty, you won't be needing that OC anytime soon and you are probably better off not OCing until you have more experience. Why not get some old board for 10 pounds and start with OCin that?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Light overclocks (like using the "turbo" feature, or the "level-up" feature available in some BIOSs) are easy to do (with the right BIOS utility/guide) and there's generally little downside. Moderate overclocks (where you start having to mess with voltages) can get a lot of performance out of your chip, but it will shorten the lifespan of the CPU/motherboard.

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Originality said:
Light overclocks (like using the "turbo" feature, or the "level-up" feature available in some BIOSs) are easy to do (with the right BIOS utility/guide) and there's generally little downside. Moderate overclocks (where you start having to mess with voltages) can get a lot of performance out of your chip, but it will shorten the lifespan of the CPU/motherboard.
Actually you don't necessarily need to mess around with the voltages to make "moderate" overclocks and non-terrible auto voltage options exist.

For instance, I have E6600 overclocked from 2,4GHz to 3,6GHz stable and the only changes I had to make was the FSB and memory multiplier in my BIOS.

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Mazor said:
Originality said:
Actually you don't necessarily need to mess around with the voltages to make "moderate" overclocks and non-terrible auto voltage options exist.

For instance, I have E6600 overclocked from 2,4GHz to 3,6GHz stable and the only changes I had to make was the FSB and memory multiplier in my BIOS.
Auto options are the worst. Lemme see if I can find the exact numbers....
Nope, sadly I didn't post them
tongue.gif
:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=123047
But from memory my Vcore was auto set at about 1,475V where 1,325 was enough. Not to mention the other voltages all of which were set to high where the lowest nominal the board could put out was enough. Granted that was already over a year ago (ah, time flies ^^) but regardless auto voltages will simply never be as accurate as a genuine testing cycle. My brothers e8400 also runs at 3,4GHz (stock 3) without any more voltage then stock, showing that was too much. The same I later found with a friend of mine who has a e6600 too and some asus board, was able to get ,2 volts down on Vcore (can't remember all and the exact numbers).

As far as your e6600, nice OC
wink.gif
. The core processors where the best weren't they
wink.gif
? My Athlon II 250 doesn't do overclocking very well as opposed to my e4500. In the end they perform roughly the same now (the athlon II is stock 3GHz, I got it to 3,05 or something stable, including giving it and the motherboard more juice; should have gone with a 245/240 and try and push a 250 out of it but the price difference was already so small).

Mazor

Z80 master arch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Scorpei said:
Auto options are the worst. ... regardless auto voltages will simply never be as accurate as a genuine testing cycle.

While what you are saying applies to many BIOSes, I was just pointing out that non-terrible ones actually exist. The Vcore automatically set by my Gigabyte board turned out to be exactly just enough after I did some testing.

QUOTE(Scorpei @ Jan 3 2011, 05:23 PM) As far as your e6600, nice OC
wink.gif
Well, temps are pretty high but I've been running it for 3 years without any problems problems apart from two related BSODs when running Windows on full load.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Now serving number E73
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good, maybe she will leave me the f alone, now I can drink, smoke, and play my games in peace!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The DMV giving citizens of Detroit empowerment
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and with yourself :creep:
    +1
    As a reminder crack pipes left in the lobby will be thrown away, the DMV is not responsible for lost crack pipes!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a camera I can film what I want
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gotta give my fans what they want...
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    get crackin'
    Well hmm got that Eeros 6+ router working so no need for a new one for now lol
    Scratch!!! In broad daylight!!!
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, is it truly discrimination if you dislike everyone equally? like, if i dislike everyone, then am i racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, etc., or am i just a hater?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    All of the above...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You gotta be on Psis level and hate your own people
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i meant everyone, even my own people, and myself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh, well thats ok then
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (i don't dislike people, it's just a hypothe- aaaaaand i'm banned aren't i?)
    Good good let your hate flow through you!!!
    +2
    Emperor Palpetine reveals that he is trans Jewish pro abortion and drives a Prius!
    Unlimited Power!!!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hate fuels your cybertruck
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol