• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

America may not be the greatest country on earth.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
There's not much great about America, that's hard to disagree, regarding humans... humans are really complex, self-aware and self-destructive, humans are probably the only complex enough species that can keep self-destructing while being completely aware of it and intentionally avoiding to change course.
Humans are aware. But don't change because either they don't want to put the work in, or don't want to change their routine habits. Try to get anyone to change how they do things. It's always a struggle to get them to change.

Humans suck at long term planning. They only make changes under situations where they are forced to. Where an immediate danger is really close. But they usually react when it's too late. Humans are bad at feeling the pressure (the pressures that initiate motivations of change) of long term danger even if they are aware of it.

Deleted member 608654

A scarlet letter
OP
Trophies
XP
Humans are aware. But don't change because either they don't want to put the work in, or don't want to change their routine habits. Try to get anyone to change how they do things. It's always a struggle to get them to change.

Humans suck at long term planning. They only make changes under situations where they are forced to. Where an immediate danger is really close. But they usually react when it's too late. Humans are bad at feeling the pressure (the pressures that initiate motivations of change) of long term danger even if they are aware of it.
That's when people like Ferdinand Piech and Lee Kuan Yew come in.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a huge fan of New Zealand, but am perfectly willing to admit that it's because of Viva La Dirt League.

I imagine the whole country is as awesome as they are.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I am a huge fan of New Zealand, but am perfectly willing to admit that it's because of Viva La Dirt League.

I imagine the whole country is as awesome as they are.
New zealand - it's basically 2 big islands and 700+ smaller islands. Nice scenery, lots of volcanoes, mad people and a WOKE Dictator as a PM. Still I've never been there but a couple of my friends emigrated there and like it, so go figure.

Reactions: CraddaPoosta

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New zealand - it's basically 2 big islands and 700+ smaller islands. Nice scenery, lots of volcanoes, mad people and a WOKE Dictator as a PM. Still I've never been there but a couple of my friends emigrated there and like it, so go figure.
I've quite literally looked into emigrating there from America. I don't know any Kiwis, but from everything I have seen (not just VLDL), New Zealand is like the best parts of America, Australia and the UK, all rolled into one.

It's just incredibly hard to become a permanent resident there unless you're pretty rich or have your own business.

#lifegoal

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I've quite literally looked into emigrating there from America. I don't know any Kiwis, but from everything I have seen (not just VLDL), New Zealand is like the best parts of America, Australia and the UK, all rolled into one.

It's just incredibly hard to become a permanent resident there unless you're pretty rich or have your own business.

#lifegoal
It's not too bad if you're from UK, although I am not sure about USA requirements. Do you have the correct skills?

https://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/assets/uploads/long-term-skill-shortage-list.pdf

I'm an Electrical and Mechanical Engineer so have the correct skills, however I am happy living in Scotland as I live in the country, 5 minutes from the sea and live between 3 cities that are each only about 20 miles from me. I love the countryside and there's some beautifull scenery and mountain ranges not too far from me, also I own my own house etc and have lots of family here so I would never move. However if I ever did, USA (southern east area), Austrailia or NZ would be in my top 5 places to live. No 1 would be Bavaria in Germany, I've been there loads of times to go Skiing in the winter and visited in the summer a few times, the people are lovely and the scenery is breathtaking. It's a pity it's not near the sea but if does have some nice lakes.

Deleted member 608654

A scarlet letter
OP
Trophies
XP

#lifegoal
Still going to be expensive there, remote, houses have little insulation for winter. Small population.
Post automatically merged:

It's not too bad if you're from UK, although I am not sure about USA requirements. Do you have the correct skills?

https://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/assets/uploads/long-term-skill-shortage-list.pdf

I'm an Electrical and Mechanical Engineer so have the correct skills, however I am happy living in Scotland as I live in the country, 5 minutes from the sea and live between 3 cities that are each only about 20 miles from me. I love the countryside and there's some beautifull scenery and mountain ranges not too far from me, also I own my own house etc and have lots of family here so I would never move. However if I ever did, USA (southern east area), Austrailia or NZ would be in my top 5 places to live. No 1 would be Bavaria in Germany, I've been there loads of times to go Skiing in the winter and visited in the summer a few times, the people are lovely and the scenery is breathtaking. It's a pity it's not near the sea but if does have some nice lakes.
Quietly wishes for cheap supersonic air travel.

Then why are they so bad at planning?

Capitalism makes all countries suck.
Ethical capitalism exists, see costco.

Last edited by Deleted member 608654,

LovelyDumpling

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be cool if the entire world operated under one banner and got along and we could go anywhere we pleased and solved the world's problems more effectively? Yeah, for real.

It sadly isn't going to happen though. At the very least, not peacefully.

People have different ideas of how the world should work and getting billions of people to agree on that is virtually impossible. Even within our own country we are incredibly polarized, and that's nothing like trying to tell other world leaders that we're going to do things our way now.

And just letting every country do things their own way but still be part of the same conglomerate where people could travel between nations as freely as they wish doesn't really work when some people's idea of the way the world should run is to treat women as second-class citizens or to execute people for being LGBT. And then think that we're the evil ones for letting them be free.

The world is fractured because human nature is fractured.

I do wonder how that'd hold up in say, an intergalactic civilization with alien races and the like. Would we finally unite Earth under one banner, or would we still be so fractured? I honestly imagine the latter, but I've also begun to doubt the existence of alien civilization anyway.

I suppose the only real way I can think of of "defracturing" the Earth (or at least making it less fractured) is... cultural genocide? If we were dominated by some completely overwhelming, unstoppable force that we couldn't dream of rebelling against and they enforced a specific culture and way of life on the entire planet for decades or centuries until everything we used to know and love became forgotten by time. And even that seems temporary at most.

Also, not advocating for that to be clear. Probably better to keep things as they are.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: