An official Nintendo-developed GBA emulator for the Nintendo Switch has reportedly been leaked

FQpOncqXEAQ-Cun.jpg

4Chan is the source of many internet leaks regarding video game files, and today is no exception; a set of three zips were uploaded to anonfiles, containing something rather interesting. Allegedly, within the files was a Game Boy emulator called Hiyoko and a Game Boy Advance emulator called Sloop, both developed by Nintendo themselves, through their European research and development team. The emulators were in NSP format, and users that downloaded the files quickly got them to work on their own modded consoles, which function and play GBA and GB ROM files. A video of the Sloop and Hiyoko emulators can be seen below, courtesy of Twitter user RatgorlHunter.

Pokemon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire and Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 were shown to be working through the emulators, with settings within them curiously offering random matchmaking features. Given the existence of these files, it's likely that we'll be seeing Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games added to Nintendo Switch Online's game lineup sometime in the future. For now, nothing is officially confirmed.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I imagine this is where the Nintendo system services end with Switch Online though. As much as I'd love to see a GameCube service, I really don't believe that will ever be on the table, likewise for Wii. And then DS, 3DS, and Wii U just couldn't be faithfully recreated on the system to meet Nintendo's standards (unless maybe they released a second screen controller for the Switch just for such a thing, but yeah I don't see that happening either.)

So I wonder if anything else could happen for the Switch Online service. I mean I'd love to see TurboGrafx-16, but that would almost certainly require another increase to Online subscription price which I know no one would be in favor of. But maybe some other Sega platforms could join like Master System or Game Gear, and maybe Saturn.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what they'll do for a dedicated virtual console controller like the other 4 services have seen. This is my prediction:

View attachment 306694

I imagine it probably will be something similar, shaped exactly like the GBA, but naturally without a screen. Probably my most outlandish claim would be a built in accelerometer, I could see that not being included, but there were a handful of great GBC and GBA games that utilized gyro, so it certainly would have merit.
man if they'd charge $50+ for a GBA slab I'd rather them just let NSO members buy a Game Boy Advance Classic Edition or something

Reactions: Kioku and sley

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
man if they'd charge $50+ for a GBA slab I'd rather them just let NSO members buy a Game Boy Advance Classic Edition or something
I mean they charge $50 for the N64 controller, and that thing sells out immediately. The thing isn't meant to be a replacement for an actual GBA, it would just be another controller designed exactly like the original, but wireless, just like all the other VC controllers they've given us so far, meant specifically for the system service it was designed after, but usable for other games on the Switch as well, if the amount of buttons allows for it.

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Online play will be very cool on GBA, I just hope that they include some filters because that low resolution screen on a TV simply doesn't look good. I bet GB and GBA will be split between the expansion and normal service.

Reactions: Tarmfot

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean they charge $50 for the N64 controller, and that thing sells out immediately. The thing isn't meant to be a replacement for an actual GBA, it would just be another controller designed exactly like the original, but wireless, just like all the other VC controllers they've given us so far, meant specifically for the system service it was designed after, but usable for other games on the Switch as well, if the amount of buttons allows for it.
I'd believe they'd do something like that, I just think it'd be dumb

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean they charge $50 for the N64 controller, and that thing sells out immediately.
Well, you can use it for PC emulators, so it's a great choice of controller even without being subscribed to NSO.
I'd believe they'd do something like that, I just think it'd be dumb
hopefully it would feature a screen the Switch streams gameplay to like the Wii U gamepad.

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Seems to be for DEV consoles only. Cannot install it onto retail hardware/emulator because "Invalid NCA magic", anyone know of a way to get this to work on retail hardware.

I mean it is just an emulator so it's not actually useful as the open source ones are likely better anyways, but still would be fun to poke around in the development version.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you can use it for PC emulators, so it's a great choice of controller even without being subscribed to NSO.

hopefully it would feature a screen the Switch streams gameplay to like the Wii U gamepad.
That seem so redundant. If you want to play the GBA games portably, just play the Switch in handheld mode, sure you wouldn't retain the exact GBA form factor, but that's remains true for any of the system services once you play in handheld mode. Plus building a screen into the controller, would needlessly add to the price of the controller.

Reactions: MRJPGames

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hilarious but ultimately meaningless, given that Nintendo's official emulators rarely live up to established ones. And the biggest flaw still remains: you can't keep these games on your Switch permanently without hacking it.
I recall when Ensata was leaked by an scene group. It only emulated one game, GoldenEye: Rogue Agent. But, to be fair, it was an SDK emulator, so it was expected.

Bánh Mì

Trophies
XP
Country
Seems to be for DEV consoles only. Cannot install it onto retail hardware/emulator because "Invalid NCA magic", anyone know of a way to get this to work on retail hardware.

I mean it is just an emulator so it's not actually useful as the open source ones are likely better anyways, but still would be fun to poke around in the development version.
same. have no idea how to install those files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Sylvester Stallone should have played Kyle Reese lol Arnold still as the Terminator
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought Cutty was a west coast rapper
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I thought Cutty was a west coast rapper