Homebrew [Announcement?]The Homebrewhub

how should we advertise (read the advertisement section first please)

• We don't continue our effort & No advertisement

Votes: 35 14.5%
  • We advertise to survive

Votes: 102 42.1%
  • We advertise & donate to the developers

Votes: 105 43.4%

• Total voters

Tjessx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
My irritation comes from the fact that people on this site in particular like to poorly clone my creations and claim them as their own unique ideas

fixed it @ksanislo
Are you referring to this project?
To be honest, we didn't even know about the site until after we created the thread.

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you referring to this project?
To be honest, we didn't even know about the site until after we created the thread.
He was fixing the other guys quote (He put his own text inside the quote tag).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

My irritation comes from the fact that people on this site in particular like to poorly clone my creations and claim them as their own unique ideas.
A homebrew repository type site isn't exactly a unique idea in its own right, there have been a few attempts at it before from what I've read. Just because it's a similar idea doesn't mean they cloned your site or that they even knew of its existence before they started working on this.

ketal

aiueo
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A point everyone is missing: we do (or at least, I do) this kind of things for fun. No one wants merits. If I have to bother about the competition it's just better to take care about work stuff.
This thing was born as a replacement of 3dsthemes.com, which was closed, heh, more than 1 year ago. We've had our setbacks.
Don't see this as a ripoff of something else, or yet another plain homebrew database, because it isn't

Reactions: Tjessx

ksanislo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He was fixing the other guys quote (He put his own text inside the quote tag).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A homebrew repository type site isn't exactly a unique idea in its own right, there have been a few attempts at it before from what I've read. Just because it's a similar idea doesn't mean they cloned your site or that they even knew of its existence before they started working on this.

Tjessx himself specifically mailed me about zip support for QRWL, using an exact copy of the syntax from titledb.com as an example of how they wanted to support archives from this project... It'd be damn hard to claim that isn't because they're using it as a template for trying to figure out how to deal with decompression.

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tjessx himself specifically mailed me about zip support for QRWL, using an exact copy of the syntax from titledb.com as an example of how they wanted to support archives from this project... It'd be damn hard to claim that isn't because they're using it as a template for trying to figure out how to deal with decompression.
Let me quote a part of my post again for you:
knew of its existence before they started working on this

Just because they know of it NOW, and are asking for help to implement some things you have, doesn't mean they knew about it BEFORE, when they first started working on it. Devs share knowledge, nice ones atleast, there's no harm in asking for help with something from someone who has already done what you're trying to accomplish.

Tjessx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This morning i was looking at your website, and i noticed that you had that syntax, i opend up 2 qr code install applications, yours and FBI. I scanned the qr code and noticed that it didn't work. That is why i asked you this, i didnt know it was your site, and i wanted to keep the same syntax as that site because it would be idiotic to not do this. I wanted the application to both support your site and this one

Reactions: Drakia

ksanislo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind helping... Hell, titleDB has a public API and people are free to use it in their homebrew or otherwise. And I'm more than willing to provide server space to help keep other projects afloat if they can't or don't want to pay for AWS, but to specifically launch this site a matter of days after I posted titledb on reddit, and then to throw up a "Everyone needs to pay for ours or we won't keep it up" is a pile of BS. Clone my shit, fine, but don't try to make a buck from it.

Reactions: Brawl345

ketal

aiueo
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i wrote the first backend for this over a year ago. we didn't know your website existed. 100% of ads revenues goes in server costs. we don't want to earn anything. we hardly eve visit 3dshacks. you're making a huge fuss for nothing

Tjessx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
"Everyone needs to pay for ours or we won't keep it up" is a pile of BS. Clone my shit, fine, but don't try to make a buck from it.
We're litterally not making anyone pay, we dont accept donations, all we did is place an ad. We released the product after i ever knew of your site. And we're not making any profit on this, litterally none. All income goes to the server costs, and the rest will be invested into homebrew development. The homebrew communitiu would be mich further if more people would do this. Like i said before, i dont have the money to help in the homebrew community, hopefully this project will help others like me who do want to contribute without server costs

MasterFeizz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welcome to the real world guys, competition exists. Most of the development on the scene is done as a hobby and/or as a learning experience, there is no need to fight over something as trivial as this.

That being said, ads are not the solution and will probably do more harm since non obtrusive whitelisted ads won't generate enough revenue to pay for hosting ( which in my opinion you could probably get by free hosting ).

ketal

aiueo
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Welcome to the real world guys, competition exists. Most of the development on the scene is done as a hobby and/or as a learning experience, there is no need to fight over something as trivial as this.

That being said, ads are not the solution and will probably do more harm since non obtrusive whitelisted ads won't generate enough revenue to pay for hosting ( which in my opinion you could probably get by free hosting ).
When the service expires, we'll see. I'll pay it myself if the revenue is not enough

Tjessx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

We've currently got enough visitors to pay for the servers, if the amount of visitors don't decrease a lot

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
one of the ideas we had a while ago was (if there was profit enough for) to invest in others work.
for example host a server for them, buy a domain, ...
With this idea we were mainly focusing on people using online features.
This way we don't pay developers, but they can make use of our services as an advantage for their development.

I wish this would turn out to be a success. Personally, the only thing that's keeping me from finishing a project of mine is a lack of the possibility of hosting the online services, because I don't have income either, so it would be impossible to host the online services.

Okay, to be fair, I don't think more than 10people would play Kamisado on their 3DSses, but still :P
Also, if this turns out to be a success, I have a suggestion: only rent one server, just set up subdomains to point to the user's folder, because this way it's a lot cheaper :)

Yeah we're planning on that actually, so we need to find a solution for that, or save enough before we release it

iirc the 3DS's browser is open source. I think it should be possible to port it to homebrew environment, then detect if the user is using this "dedicated" app, and if it's the dedicated app, then just replace the download links, so it triggers the dedicated app.
And because it's using WebKit, the ads are displayed, and the only real change needed would be to add the homebrew download trigger code that replaces the target of the download button.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc