Gaming Anyone else tired of the ports?

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's getting very sickening to me. Now Flashback & the first two Syberia games have been announced as coming to the Switch. Seriously? At the rate they have gone... I'm not so sure I'll ever buy a switch. Not just for a handful of exclusives I would play, that I can count on one hand. Even by the end of 2018 if there were 10 exclusives that I'd play... still not worth such an incredibly small library (outside of ports & indies).

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind the ports. I'm getting games I'd either never played, have played and loved, can't play but want to, or wouldn't have given a second glance, but since it's portable, why not?

The ports are coming, the money will roll in, and we'll reap the benefits with 1st and other 3rd party support. No support is bad support. So long as they keep a majority of the trash/shovelware out, I'm okay with how the Switch is progressing.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Nope. They're bringing games that I never thought about or couldn't play due to not owning the system at the time. To be honest, most new titles are lacking in terms of quality, so I'd rather play something fun that works.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah its a bit... uninspired.

@Subtle Demise good use of the word shovelware, completely agree.

Its awesome to have your favourite games in portable fashion... perhaps it takes time to get better games.

Mario Odyssey was awesome though, until its done.. and there is nothing left to do :( need more forst party IPs.

Last edited by KiiWii,
Reactions: Subtle Demise

socialbacon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Keep in mind that hardly anyone owned a Wii U. Nintendo needs to recover from the Wii U flop and one of the best ways to do so is port the great Wii U titles to the Switch while more Switch-exclusives are in production.

JFalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Nope, this was to be expected long before the console even launched. Lotta people didn't buy a Wii U so it makes sense.

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone seems to be forgetting that these ports are actually great games, but no one was going to buy a console (Wii U) just because it had a few games that they found interesting. I'm very happy with them. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is coming to the Switch. I've always wanted to play it, but it wasn't worth $200-$300 for a Wii U.

JFalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
And some third parties are lazy, Capcom being a very guilty party. The first party stuff is fine, nobody bought a Wii U.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Porting takes less time than developing. 3rd party folks didn't know if the switch would flop or not, so didn't have anything in the pipes. Expect porting for the next year or two, but then hopefully get some good original stuff in 2019 and 2020. Porting from Wii U makes sense, since it takes less money to do so and it's likely to have a far higher attach rate than Wii U for obvious reasons.

For me, I'm fine with ports as long as they don't suck (lookin' at you rime). It's just a multi-release that got delayed, if that helps any. The pricing is unfortunate, though. I'm just waiting for those used prices on cartridges to go down a bit.

Last edited by osaka35,

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly I'm still hoping for a Wind Waker HD port.
That and a Hyper Light Drifter port, now that Game Maker supports the Switch.

I really don't mind the ports at all to be frank. If I'm not interested in them, I won't buy them. Simple as that.

Reactions: osaka35

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Were also at the point where we're getting multiplatform ports and collections. The new games are steadily rolling in, and is growing. Just not at the pace that some would like, unfortunately

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu