arcade roms

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i want to download a bunch of arcade roms to play them mainly using the mame emulator or in some cases retroarch wii because mame always crashes and freezes. Which romset do I need? I did a little research and they say that 037b11 ROMs are the best. What does it even mean 037b11?

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That number is the revision / version of MAME which is meant to use with the romset, in this case we're talking about MAME 2000/2001 (0.37b11)

But there's some other MAME emulator versions made for Wii that are better than MAME 2000:

MAME2003+ (MAME 0.78)
MAME Wii (MAME 0.134u4)
ok, so as far as I understand most mame roms will run fine on retroarch with MAME2003+ (MAME 0.78) core selected, right?

Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
ok, so as far as I understand most mame roms will run fine on retroarch with MAME2003+ (MAME 0.78) core selected, right?
no.

You need to have the correct version of your MAME romsets for be able to run.
Here's a small explanation:

For MAME 2000 emulator = use MAME 0.37b5 roms
For MAME 2003 Plus emulator = use MAME 0.78 / MAME2003+ roms
For MAME Wii emulator = use MAME 0.134u4 roms

Reactions: Qaztab

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For MAME 2003 Plus emulator = use MAME 0.78 / MAME2003+ roms
ok, so lets say I wanna download a whole bunch of arcade roms (for example many games starting with letter A. Then many games starting with C and so on. So I need to look for a website that has MAME 0.78 / MAME2003+ version roms and then go through the alphabet and download what they have. Or MAME 0.78 / MAME2003+ roms are only some particular arcade games?

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
I know 😀😀😀, stupid autocorrect.
So, mame 2003+ is the latest available mame core for retroarch wii, right?
Yeah, but currently it's unofficial (but i'm collaborating a bit with the devs for make an official Wii version, we don't have a date release yet)

Reactions: Shadow-Zero

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about final burn alpha or CPS cores? Are they better or they are used for newer arcade games?
Yeah, but currently it's unofficial (but i'm collaborating a bit with the devs for make an official Wii version, we don't have a date release yet)
cool, what about final burn alpha or CPS cores? Are they better or they are used for newer arcade games?

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
final burn alpha
This is used for games which aren't supported or have problems on MAME2003+.

Look for romsets of version FB Alpha v0.2.97.30 (for the normal FB Alpha core)

CPS cores?
These CPS cores are based on FB Alpha, but different versions. These are used only for the games from the Capcom CPS (Capcom Play System) arcade family.

Versions of romsets you'll need to search for:
for FBA CPS-1 core = FBA v0.2.97.28 roms
for FBA CPS-2 core = FBA v0.2.97.30 roms
for FBA CPS-3 core = FBA v0.2.97.29 roms

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, do you by any chance know a place where i can pick (download) my roms normally, not download every arcade rom in existence and then just delete what I don't need (which takes forever) and a place where they are named normally because those romsets that I found all have unrecognizable names.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Right, do you by any chance know a place where i can pick (download) my roms normally, not download every arcade rom in existence and then just delete what I don't need (which takes forever) and a place where they are named normally because those romsets that I found all have unrecognizable names.

According to GBAtemp rules:
NO asking/posting links to "warez" (ROMs/ISOs/CIAs/WADs)

But Google and Internet Archive is your friend for that ;)

Reactions: JuanMena

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Ok, by the way, I am using your mod of sdl mame emulator. Any idea how to keep it from crashing and freezing all the time when changing roms and stuff?
it's impossible for the common user, because for fix that the code needs to be fixed, optimized and also put some code which will clean the memory before launching another ROM / after exiting the emulator.

I don't know how to do that, sorry.

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, so after a little searching, I found a romset with proper names, but it says MAME ROMs (0.198). So, its not going to work with MAME2003+ (MAME 0.78) core because it is the wrong romset or it is?

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
ok, so after a little searching, I found a romset with proper names, but it says MAME ROMs (0.198). So, its not going to work with MAME2003+ (MAME 0.78) core because it is the wrong romset or it is?
yeah these won't work on MAME2003+ since of wrong romset version.
Look for MAME 0.78 roms on the Internet, or as an alternative (but please be advised, this next option is not for beginners), rebuild your current MAME romset of any latest version to MAME 0.78 / MAME2003+.

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah these won't work on MAME2003+ since of wrong romset version.
Look for MAME 0.78 roms on the Internet, or as an alternative (but please be advised, this next option is not for beginners), rebuild your current MAME romset of any latest version to MAME 0.78 / MAME2003+.
yeah so, I found a cross-reference list of actual game names and file names in the mame 2003plus romset on archive.org. Guess Im gonna have to do it the hard way. By the way, what happens if I rename some files? They will not play on the mame emulator but will work on retroarch-wii?

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey there, i' am trying again to get nba hangtime / nba blitz working (lost my original wii sd card), but based on previous posts (some i made), it looks like some midway games just won't run well, and some don't work at all on the newest mame2003+ cores? thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already +1