Hacking Are you looking to hack your Switch?

Are you looking to hack your Switch?

• I'm getting the first modchip available

Votes: 122 14.9%
  • I'll wait for a proven modchip with an established userbase

Votes: 122 14.9%
  • I'm using a soft-mod solution

Votes: 262 32.0%
  • I'm not interested in modifying my Switch right now

Votes: 136 16.6%
  • I don't own a Switch...

Votes: 177 21.6%

• Total voters

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
I'll get the first thing that'll let me run emulators and/or backups.
I also would love to support TX with my money, since I appreciate the hard work they're putting into their thing. Even though I'd prefer the softmod solution like something from Admiral SciresM.

On the other hand, I'd love to shit in the faces of all the self proclaimed, attention seeking "hackers" that won't release shit.

Reactions: yardie

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair the only thing missing right now from 4.X is a new kernel exploit. Other than that, SciresM mentioned the TrustZone flaw is still present there (but would need kernelhax), and the only publicly known userland exploit is private for research.

I thought that 4.x.x had no such exploits? Glad I was wrong. But something being private doesn't mean it'll necessarily be public either. I hope for the best.

Softmod > Hardmod imo, (before anyone tries to bash me, that fun acronym means in my opinion. Cool right?).

Agreed. I want to avoid hard mods if I can.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hell yeah, once a decent hack comes out, and fully working, I'm gonna buy a Switch and pirate all da games! I might get a mod chip, because I don't want to track down a certain Switch version.

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've lost interest in hardmods and have a generally declining interest in piracy in general.
Because lets be honest here, most of us are in it for the piracy and not most of the shitty homebrew, considering there's only ever so much homebrew that's actually good and/or useful.

Maybe eventually i'll go for a softmod.

porto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Personally I prefer the softmod, since I would not be able to install a hardmod.
I prefer give to devs (ReSwitched:switch: or others) the total cost for the purchase and installation of a hardmod

Reactions: Yoni Arousement

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Softmod > Hardmod imo, (before anyone tries to bash me, that fun acronym means in my opinion. Cool right?).
I also prefer softmod, but a dual nand modchip solution would be pretty cool. Hacked and unhacked console in same device. No brick risk thank to having 2 working OS. I get that you could use multiple emunand with a softmod solución but it wouldnt be the same

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Backing up save files is a must considering games like Xenoblade 2 forces you to save over the 1 save spot you have. Could also help re roll rare blades unless someone makes a save editor to inject them in

Reactions: Yoni Arousement

NatsumiX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had a switch on 2.x
Didn't take a minute to update to the latest.

Don't care about homebrew or piracy in the slightest. Just want to Play Odyssey.
I'll buy my games and if i want emulators, i'll use my PC or Phone.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tricky.
Switch has no games (I seldom care for first party offerings from Nintendo) and I am not seeing a good future in the short term/before E3 this year and longer term should have some indicators if it is going to pick up which I am also not seeing (EA, ubisoft and co are not saying much about it, and smaller devs are not shouting it). Probably won't sink to Wii U levels but again I am not seeing much. Likewise I am not seeing much from Nintendo that says they are courting new and exciting peeps in the indy world.
This also means Switch ROM hacking is of limited interest, and nothing has really caught my eye as something I as a ROM hacker could reasonably fix to make good.
Homebrew wise I am not expecting anything terribly interesting while android exists. Of course a port of android might change things -- if android devs can chuck in a Switch controls option then things can change, to say nothing of android itself providing a library of stuff already.
Emulator wise I doubt we are going to exceed the PSP for practical purposes -- yes yes yes your favourite special chip SNES game will run faster, and the sound emulation will be 2% more accurate (not that my non musical mind + concert+power tools+motorised objects damaged ears will ever be able to tell, and even if I could then would it really change the melody from bad to good?) or whatever but when enough of the 16 bit and older + PS1 library ran OK it is not going to get too much better. The N64 has aged terribly (a lot of it is almost unplayable to me today, especially if I have also tried the various ports and remakes things got), GC could be of interest but I have most of those sitting behind me as I bought in when the GC was cheap. Saturn did not have the most at the time but there is some appeal there, certainly would see a nice version of bomberman happen. Dosbox, maybe even as far as 3dfx and windows 95, if it could happen might do something, less hardware than that and a lot of it got ported to the Amiga and maybe 16 bit consoles too.

Softmod or hardmod means nothing to me. I tend to find hardmods more reliable, more workable and more future proof. Install wise I am what I am so that is not a problem. Warranties are not worth the paper they are printed on, much less the 120 minute premium rate phone call to even start to make it happen, though with Switch heat deaths possibly not being too far in the future I am the slightest bit hesitant there. Also some potential hesitation as I am expecting a switch lite/switch xl/new switch/switch SP... before too terribly long.
With that said I can write off a switch as an easily replaceable toy rather than something to be cherished.

I expect TX will release a fairly well realised hack vs the "bare minimum functionality/realisation of potential" and gated up the arse that we saw on the gateway -- if their profit is in the chip and not the firmware there is no incentive to block it too hard. If not then the levels of access granted will see it happen in the very short term, a la JTAG and RGH just being methods and the community then creates the modded dashboards/firmwares.

Bans wise. Reading this thread I am still shocked people have not taken to heart "hack and online is a risky prospect, never assume otherwise" concept -- I am sure we can find people banned from dial in MUDs because they hacked. That said with a paid but still Nintendo quality online offering... no loss there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Was a dark time