Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
You're not changing the forum, sorry, man.

I was and am part of a forum older than this one, and no matter how much we tried to change, being more sensitive, less sensitive, varying strictness levels, activities, rewards systems, rules, etc, it still doesn't stop the behaviour.

Huge forums like this are made up of a hell of a lot of people, and you won't get them all or even a decent portion to suddenly switch gears and change their methodology.

You just roll with it. Post the way you think is positive and a role model, and hope others see it and get inspired.

Reactions: The Catboy

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I'm fairly certain that being inspired by others "gentleman like" behavior doesnt work either. ;)

As I'm coming out of communities, where self organizing worked - I was initially wondering, when and if there was something of an inflection point - where everyone realized, that exploiting real life social codes on webforums, was the new hot thing - and everyone started acting like this was the new normal.

And the best thing I could come up so far are two hypothesis.

1. Its a generational thing ("I'm entitled to act like a *insertwordnoonelikestousestartingwithm*")

2. Its a cultural thing learned in communities where everyone is just faking out others in terms of how *insertpositivesoundingverb* they are, trying to get a leg up in a race towards nowhere.

The utter rage that usually follows once you point out that the other person knows nothing, didn't try anything - but expects personal attention focused only on them - supports both. The second one basically - because everyone is so concerned about public self image, that they find it utterly revolting, if someone gives them an honest answer ("You know nothing, read up on things" - as a rather bland example).

In most forums I attended in my former years this was actually a thing people accepted as something to do in general. Sure we don't liked the answer, when we got it - but we understood that others thought, that we could find out the answers on our own, with little effort.

The other thing that was accepted as a normal convention is, that if people started to show signs of being bothered or stressed, people actually acknowledged that and modified their behavior - although admittedly not for very long - but at least it gave the feeling of there being situational awareness.

Nowadays - if you look at this (others as well) forum, people seem relentless to "get their question in" - because they almost "demand" an answer - and be it even the wrong one, as long as they feel attended to. And if they are not, they subsequently even start complaining.

Polls have replaced the "search for excellence" - and everything is a free for all. ("Everyones voice is important to us!")

Interestingly - also moderators never are part of communities anymore - not in a tangible sense. So the rolemodel effect (only ever has worked through reputation structures) is all but lost from that one aspect alone.

Now - in this form of "community" - it all becomes a numbers game.

As soon as anything becomes "popular" - all the discerning voices get swamped by sheer volume, and self organizing breaks.

In talking to folks out there - it also is apparent, that there is no responsibility people feel towards the overall state of things - its like they expect things to work, because others cared about setting this stuff up, while they dont have to.

Everything that doesnt feel good on a surface level gets flamed - while counterspeech or teaching people not to solve their issues with flaming, doesnt even exist anymore. If you get out of an actual discussion not being called all kinds of pleasant things, just for sticking up against popular opinion you consider yourself lucky.

- This one is easy to pinpoint on the structural nature of social networks (content streams (nothing ever sticks for more than a day > no ramifications), and bubbles) - which in return is "ad financing" optimized ("- your voice is very important to us" because you customer(/product ;) ) - kind of attitude)
--

What does work strangely enough is

- authority through celebrity
("Our favourite PR manager has blogged a leak!" - where popularity > intelligence, of course - but thats an accomplishment of the advertising industry going back to the 60s of last century.. ;) (Internet as a counterculture later was lost, that sort of thing... very idealistic. Long story.. ;) ))

Where celebrity can either be bought, or attained by being the most plain and PC person imaginable - while hitting all the boyband member checkboxes... ;)

and

- authority through majority
(with the obvious populism setbacks)
---

In any case "just act politely and hope that others will imitate your behavior" is probably the worst thing you can do. (Life lesson fail. ;) )

I'm still trying out a few concepts... ;) Yet, I'd be really interested in the self image of the generation that "doesnt know it any other way". I mean I get the libertarian spirit and draw of places like 4chan to a certain extent, what I don't get - is everyone acting, like not caring about social ramifications of your actions (Hey guys, short question, visit my youtube channel, like and subscribe!) is totally ok - and maybe even trendy to a certain extent.

There are no real epiphanies in this text either - Its just spelling out what drives current community behavior. "Can you do the thinking for me?" Is a good tagline, that not even I coined, but only borrowed...

When did this become the internet of our choice? If you have better ideas - maybe even links to some more scientific studies - I'd be interested in reading up on them.

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Southpark S22E03 tried to tackle the social media public self image issue in a way that was deemed "too subtle" by the bloggeria, which reported the opposite of the actual story.

Plotpoints in the Episode:

- Mr. Hankey, one of the most beloved characters in the Southpark universe, gets half of his Job budget cut, because of a funding crisis, and because he is deemed "the weekest link" by the city council.
- As he gets depressed over not being able to organize a decent Christmas parade for the town he takes to late night twittering, to vent his anger
- Because of the highly inaporopriate nature of his tweets he gets in trouble with his peer group, which only care about the tweets defaming them, not others
- Mr. Hanky rectifies this, by stating - that he cant sleep, and resorted to ambian [sic?], a reference to Roseanne Barr
- While everyone distances himself from the character - "because in 2018 - you dont help those kinds of people", Kyle tries to support Mr. Hankey
- As they set up and perform a christmas festival for the town (with fireworks) - the towns opinion about Mr. Hankey seems to shift, when Mr. Hankey is seen performing in his element again.
- When five Political-Correctness Babies (the children of PC Principal and Strong Woman - who never will be allowed to know their parents, because their relationship was neither PC, nor appropriate for a strong woman) start to cry at every mention of "Christmas" an "that its a time that man should show love for each other" - Mr. Hankey is caught off guard - and ultimately lashes out against the babies, for being devoted to an ethic he cant understand.
- At which point the entire town turns against Mr. Hankey and decides to cast him out of Southpark to never come back.

- As Mr. Hankey leaves the town in a Lift, one citizen starts to wonder, what will become of him eventually - at which point the Randy character states that “He will have to live in a town that still accepts racist, awful beings like him, where people don’t care about bigotry and hate.”

- The show then cuts over to a facsimile of Springfield (Simpsons) where the Apu character welcomes Mr. Hankey - with other iconic Simpsons characters present. And a black screen with the hashtag
#cancelthesimpsons

The bloggeria saw the hashtag and ran with "omg southpark trolling the Simpsons" - they want them to be canceled, headlines.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...sons_us_5bbebe99e4b054d7ddef75e2?guccounter=1

Hari Kondabolu who in his documentary The Problem With Apu made the case for the Simpsons being responsible for cultural opropriation, because of them creating the role of Apu the convenience store owner, partly because he was voiced by a white guy - saw the headlines and tweeted a very nice: "Thanks for the support and attention I guess, but I dont want it from the Southpark guys" (too edgy).
Then deleted the tweet a few hours later ( h**ps://twitter.com/harikondabolu/status/1050213030011826176 )

Then the bloggeria complained - that Southpark might have made their point in a way that was way too subtle.

Then no one cared anymore - because its Southpark - and we are in 2018.

src: https://tvline.com/2018/10/11/south-park-cancel-the-simpsons-apu-controversy-video/
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/south-park-cancel-the-simpsons_us_5bbebe99e4b054d7ddef75e2

edit: Post episode discussion on reddit: https://old.reddit.com/r/southpark/...episode_discussion_s22e03_the_problem_with_a/

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Also: Here is the top comment beneath the tvline article:
David Graf says:
October 11, 2018 at 5:42 AM
Truly tacky and tasteless but that’s South Park for you.

and here is the seventh one - which prompted the switch of the blogger to "they made their point too subtle".

Dillan Gandhi says:
October 11, 2018 at 6:21 AM
The hashtag stuff is satire of online culture of wanting everything cancelled when they don’t agree with it. The joke went over this article writer’s head!

Here is a response to that posting:
Love says:
October 11, 2018 at 12:04 PM
It’s not that TvLine doesn’t get that, it’s just that manifactured outrage means more clicks and higher ad revenue.

The Huffington Post never corrected their original story, and neither did about 30 blogs that copied them and ran with it.

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Watching the entire debate right now.

Most interesting argument constructed so far (imho):

Michelle Goldberg on the "Failure of the left" as it is connected to political correctness". The argument takes a while to develop, so give it time. (3-5 minutes.)

h**ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNjYSns0op0&t=3830

It also ends with "social media has the tendency for some actors to swarm individuals, who are able to turn stray remarks into social media campaigns" - her proposed solution is for reasonable liberals to denounce it.

On a debate if social media is terrible for democracy she also would be on the yay side. ;)

Doesnt mirror my opinion fully - but is interesting as a perspective, nevertheless.

edit: A #metoo movement (and potential dangerous overreactions being at play) position is discussed from 01:14:00 forward. Just reached it, havent listened to the debate unfolding.

edit: Debate was rushed at that point, comments where interesting regardless.

Last edited by notimp,

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I hate the newer generations because thanks to the Internet I have to look at them swarming into my favorite social media and ruin everything. Look at what they did to Reddit for example.

At least all the creepy 40 years old and older use secret groups.

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Fun fact of the day:

Twitter is rumored to remove the "like" function from its service in an effort to improve debate quality.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technol...-remove-like-tool-bid-improve-quality-debate/

Rumored as in its founder dislikes the "feature" and thinks that it might actually work.

Only comment thats fitting:

But how will we actually live?!

People expressing their regards with a no effort click was a bad idea to begin with, but hey - how do you meassure active engagement in any other way?

If tl;dr please like and subscribe, you dont have to read anything, just like and subscribe.

To make the obvious prediction, their stock holders wont like it. It wont happen. What is he thinking.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To make the obvious prediction, their stock holders wont like it. It wont happen. What is he thinking.

Do said stock holders have user growth numbers and other metrics as well? We seem to have left the exponential growth period so many investors enjoy and thus far they have not quite managed proper monetisation.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It also ends with "social media has the tendency for some actors to swarm individuals, who are able to turn stray remarks into social media campaigns" - her proposed solution is for reasonable liberals to denounce it.
What? It's not the job of either political party to denounce or promote specific social media platforms, and I don't see how that would be a solution to anything. The problem you're referring to consists mostly of groupthink and tribalism, which can occur in all age groups, all political groups, and through any interactive medium, offline or on.

weiff

Trophies
XP
Country
As a forum lurker and someone in the service industry, I can say that the original poster as a lot of valid points. I will also say the prevalent culture online is one of the "lowest common denominator" OR "we elite few." There tends to be very little middle ground no matter how hard an individual or community tries to eschew that. There is also the issue of the individual users, quite often they do not want any more than the basic knowledge required for "instant gratification" and will take the fastest short-cuts to get there.

These are just my observations.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It is a real thing that current "communication" through social media is dysfunctional, and having a critical voice or getting into any kind of relevant debate is not really looked for, it's even discouraged. Well, that's intensified lately but it's not anything new.

That's been the function of the school system since the industrial revolution, creating slaves that supply workforce and don't comply or get any revolutionary idea. Living in a worldwide "safe-space" where people have no real opinion, and this was predicted by dystopian Sci-Fi probably long before anyone in this forum was born.
Not saying this is good at all, but that is not new.

The thing is OP is only talking about this to justify his behavior. He is not establishing any conversation or entering any debate. He is just showing his lack of summarizing skills writing tiring TL;DR worth pieces that don't say much, but only try to push his ideas and justify his behavior discrediting everybody else. He is even playing victim in the process.

What he quotes as an exemplary case of "establishing a debate" is nothing else but he showing some entitlement to be an asshole with someone that was asking for advice and was unable to test the results for the moment. It is no debate about anything, it is just bullying for the sake of it. But that seems to be something exemplary... I have to agree with Lilith here, he is just trying to justify him being an asshole and passing the "blame is on the millennials" blanket statement, something sure used to no avail by the lazy aging press that seeks the problems somewhere outside whatever group they think they are into instead of taking the time to look for them inside, where they really are.

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
In regards to what fuels this thing, my understanding is the following:

So facebook basically invented microtargeting, based on lets say 40 characteristics of yourself. They do the matching - to sell advertisers anonymized profiles en gross - but in targeted subgroups. Analytics on those stuff pre GDPR (new european law) were through the roof, as in "very accompanying". Companies and andvertisers loved them to pieces for it - hence the death of the entire media industry. (They cant do hyper targeting, so their ad prices plummeted.)

Facebook still is mostly an advertisement company (and people are still mostly idiots, for doing their communication and family photo sharing over an advertising company ;) - and their dating, if it goes according to Zuckyboy ) - but the stock price is already at a level where most analysts argue, that investors have different data use priced in there already. The field where personal data based analyses just skyrocketed last year to a significant volume, was "risk assessment" (think your insurance company, banks, the state, ...), others soon to follow.

Facebook also made a carbon copy of snapchat, to capture the entire young demographic - but in doing so they allowed for a change in the usage model. Nowadays most users share, and spend time within friendgroups again, and not within the general facebook feed, where facebook sells the advertising - so currently they are on the look out for new revenue models.
--

On the "dysfunctional communication" part - eh...

- The new rolemodels of an entire generation became liars, fakes and frauds, whose only qualifications were having a sexy smile, and selling out to lifestyle product manufacturers faster then the next guy. While acting very personable. (Parasocial relationship is the psychological term, if you want to look it up. Before Youtubers, it was mostly an old ladies thing - with TV ankermen.. ;) )

I'd not call that a "communication failure", I'd call that a social hack. No one knew that most people where that shallow and dumb - but then it turned out they were. *bummer*

- The new sport of an entire generation became acting out a fake personality online, and making smartphone pictures of their food, because it didn't move. They did so, because they saw that stuff in cellphone commercials and had those great youtube rolemodels.. :)

- Any model of life, that did not subscribe to those principals, was mostly let go of the public sphere. (Follow me, like and subscribe is _everywhere_)

- Former fringe groups, that never achieved political weight or recognition before, all of a sudden flurrished, in a new ecosystem - where everyone wanted to be seen as liberal an progressive, and faked the living S out of their motives. But that those groups are now recognized also has a real positive side to it.

(To fight for Identity politics (groups that you are born into) is "in", and thats being more and more recognized as a problem by liberal political thinkers. To talk about anything that wouldnt fit the plotline of a second grade musical, is entirely out though - partly, because it wont fit the social media landscape. (Wealth distribution, social systems, healthcare, education, ...))

- Furthermore, and also part of what we see here, people have learned how to exploit the "everyone has to behave friendly and smile" social media economy - by again - lying and farm out any and all work to others - with as little interaction as possible.

Solve this problem for me via a short message in a webforum. Do my laundry via Taskrabbit. Go somewhere else via Uber... All those "jobs" are paid much, much less then in the previous economy - where people still had to look each other in the eye, and see themselves more than only once in a lifetime. Also the idea that a webservice does absolutely nothing, and gets 30-60% of the actual profit, never was a thing in prior economies either. Fun stuff like that.
---

Going back to the risk assesment thing.

Whats happening there is a tidal shift as well. In the past people were judged on metrics based on how "groups of them" would behave. The individual assessment was always seen as something not mappable via statistics - so everyone always had a "fighting chance".

In the newer metrics, your life (thanks to facebook an co :) ) is whats being mapped and the internal thought model of people working in those data driven assessment structures is, that they are mapping your actual chances. So bye, bye group, hello individual assessment.

This removes the concept of free will. Entirely. Which is fun.

Furthermore - the new structures are designed to be "constantly changing". Yesterdays algorithm already is old. This is done to create the notion of a self correcting system. The flipside of it is, that there can be no second opinion (scientific modeling based on a subset of data and then extrapolation) anymore - because the model itself is everchanging.

So you lost free will, and the option for a second opinion - but hopefully the algorithm decides, that your child will get a higher education at some point in life.. ;) Btw, what is he posting on facebook these days?
I hope many vacation pictures with picturesque smiles.

And look how politically engaged he is! He fights for the right of a fringe groups idendity politics - something that will never change any of the bigger societal structures in a meaningful way. ;)

Read a little bit about the Zuckyboys thoughts about "social stability" if you have time. Thrilling I tell you.. ;)

The thought here is basically, that those chinese model cities with a citizens social score, are partly being adopted "for the western customer". Those are todays biggest future markets. (Fitbit for a cheaper insurance plan, .. )

Back to the media of olden days --

Currently it has no Idea what todo. Follows gurus that tell it "we have to talk to our audiences, where they are". Facebook and Twitch should be seen as "new opportunities" to reach people. That those are entities, that cash in 30-50% of the profits should be ignored. This is what you pay for in perpetuity for them having invented microtargeting. Or having all your data. Not sure.
---

Social issues that follow - well... If you only portrait a fake world with no meaningful discent, and the only tool of societal action being a social media shitstorm that by now every commercial entity knows how to deal with... Ehm. Good luck?

Thats why I asked what peoples self images in this new world were. Because by all metrics that we can look at, this is turning out to be a generation thats more conservative then their parents, as self censoring as former sovjet union countries, but at least they are willing to spend money on the spot, and not safe up - (ah the financial system...), which is why they are held in high regard by... The corperate sphere and advertising companies. Which talk to them on Instagram.

Full circle. ;)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Francis Fukuyama on the problem with identity politics:
h**ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QJ_WdBzTrU
(Interview from about a week ago.)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: sarkwalvein

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
To be less preachy, and more topical for a videogame related forum ;) - here is what Dan Houser (Rockstar Co-Founder) had to say about the prospects of making a GTA in the current social climate:

“It’s really unclear what we would even do with it, let alone how upset people would get with whatever we did,” he said. “Both intense liberal progression and intense conservatism are both very militant, and very angry. It is scary but it’s also strange, and yet both of them seem occasionally to veer towards the absurd. It’s hard to satirise for those reasons. Some of the stuff you see is straightforwardly beyond satire.”
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018...es_not_making_grand_theft_auto_6_in_trump_era

Last edited by notimp,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So facebook basically invented microtargeting, based on lets say 40 characteristics of yourself. They do the matching - to sell advertisers anonymized profiles en gross - but in targeted subgroups.

Facebook did not invent shit there. They just happened to use it at a time when they could gather the data, have the computational capabilities to do something with it and own the platform to boot.

Simple demographic surveys have been around forever but the personality based stuff probably came in (as with a lot of things in advertising) with Edward Bernays. I forget the full story here but it went something like some company did the usual age-sex-location-earnings surveys and was getting the usual 10% or so response rate, they drag someone in and he tweaks it for personality traits... response rates went through the roof. Most of his work was the 20s through 50s, more in the 20s and 30s.

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
You are almost certainly right. Oversimplification on my part. :) They "invented it" from the market or societies perspective - as in, they had that data en masse, and they sold it in those packages that werent available (on that scale) before.

I find the reason why they were able to do so morbidly fascinating, because the story involves "everyone wanting to f*ck, or be seen as mingling with ivy league graduates" > "groups of moms wanting to see what heir children were up to" > "groups of moms playing voyeurs on whats happening in the neighborhood" > "networkers" wanting to get in touch with old school friends > Grandparents wanting to see pictures of their grandchildren - all in an environment where people actually believed, that this was post privacy, and sharing everything about their lives with the world was caring.

Those motives are incredibly strong motivators for action, and I'm almost certain, that you cant replicate them today anymore. But that was what was needed to get this network structured towards mass adoption. This was the one that wasnt just a fringe "hobbyist" network. This became social fabric. :)

Thats why I am so utterly astonished - when "experts" argue, that the market will hold facebook competitive, and solve the lets call them "democracy deficit" problems the platform fosters. Those were once in a lifetime events - naivité mixed withthe adventurer spirit mixed with peoples curious trust in advertising companies. :)

That was their real achievement. Everything that followed from a users perspective since then, was the gamification of multiple aspects of the plattform to drive platform usage.

But from an industry perspective - they bought into the promise of microtargeting. Hookline and sinker. And if you look at what drove the "facebook culture" it always was advertiser expectation. From political speech, to no boobies, to brand accounts. Thats the DNA of the structure. And also the sales part of the "success" story (what does it produce > microtargetable consumers).

And to that extent, that was new. People didnt post their maiden names, and graduation dates and honors on other platforms. Together with data about their three ex girlfriends, and favorite cars. And full names. But on facebook they did - because they first expected it would get them laid, and later - because it had become a social norm. :)

Last edited by notimp,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In that case an amusing extra detail from the surveys stuff above. Some of the responses they got actually said things like "this was enjoyable to fill in, more of this".

A documentary series you may enjoy (Adam Curtis' century of the self in case of shifting links).

notimp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
On part of the anger and intensity on both sides (liberal and conservative), I'd say, that this is an extension of "post privacy". You propose, that everyone has to live a public life now, you take away privacy (everyone can be themselves in private without being judged) and what follows is tribalism. We against the other. And a rise of identity politics (we against the other on a societal level).

Stephen Fry in the debate above talks about a lingering fear, to speak out about edgy topics with friends in public - because of the lingering notion that it could destroy you in the public sphere. The other part of that is people finding peer groups (bubbles) where they can speak openly, and what follows then is desensitization.

The rise of the alt right, could be seen analog to the "everybody has a drunk party video of them on facebook now" desensitization. Because everything is public now - even having xenophobic, racist views - is here to stay. Again, there are no media gatekeepers anymore (facebook doesnt want to be treated as a media company, only as "infrastructure").

Of course thats polarizing to the extreme. Because on the other side you have liberals fighting for the rights of other fringe groups to have no privacy either. (Attention, there is prejudice backed into this statement - as in "you can be yourselves only in private (the private that doesnt exist anymore)" - but then social norms, dont change as fast as SJWs would want them to - and if you are taking privacy away, those groups seemingly are fighting for survival - because their antagonists are more visible than ever).

Sounds logical to me.

edit: Ah, good old Adam Curtis.. ;) (Making sense of a complex world... ;) You'll find a good argument for the loss of the lefts utopia of the "web" in his documentaries as well. Also - they are made to have a trippy, lucid quality to them - but usually are well researched and sport interviews with primary sources. BBC at its best. ;) )

edit: You didn't just take away privacy, but also the concept of anyone, someone, holding up a mirror to those societal developments, being featured anywhere close to the mainstream. You replaced "critical insights" with stonewashed smiles - everywhere in the business of mass entertainment. Because the ones with the stonewashed smiles had the biggest twitter followings - that were seen as driving the highest viewer or reader numbers. Everything was market optimized. After the point, we definitely found out that most people were massive idiots to be baited with linkbait, and "10 astonishing things you certainly wouldnt believe" listicles.

Thats why I personally hate PC with a passion. Its not so much that things have surpassed the point of irony - its that people cant handle irony and self reflection at all right now. And that thats their reason for demanding the PC treatment.

Where are this generations "Monty Python"? Where are their Jon Stewarts? Where are their David Lettermans.

The non netflix special compatible comedians are strung up and flailed while performing their programs in front of test audiences, who have to twittercast and public outragebomb everything that makes them feel bad. Usually coincidentally also the dumbest participants of society (I don't know if you searched for "movie review" on youtube lately...).

And that leads me straight into "what is this generations self image" again? Even comedians in cars getting coffee was too edgy for them, so "Carpool Karaoke" it is. And Trump jokes on TV, because those are target demographic compatible. Follows the same logic as reality TV - laugh about someone dumber than you are - feel better about yourselves. Thats about as much reflection as society can handle nowadays. (*Grumpy rant mode off*)

Those where some of the rolemodels of yesteryear. (All replaced by Vidcon, Logan Paul, ...

But have you tried swallowing a spoon of cinnamon in front of camera? It could make you famous! Eaten a 100 salt crackers? Put food on your face? Cooked, while being drunk? Pivoted towards a more healthy lifestyle? Filmed corpses in a japanese forest? Designed a fake celebrity feud? Worked the camgirl business model as a Twitch streamer for amazon? (h**ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE-ip9s5dUY) Oh my, there are so many clever things to do nowadays! Animoji everyone!

That culture didn't develop on its own. Many of the streaming collectives where created out of the former commercial youth magazine sector (the ones that brought you "Boybands - the concept", and "Britney - shaving her head" *duckface*), and whats driving the homogenous "Vidcon" type behavior, is yet another advertising entity - sponsering their whole futile existence, for commercial reasons. Those cats are fed, as long as they are tame. Its created youth culture, much in the vein of certain music cultures, that were created in the past.

I'm looking into if I can find a certain documentary that springs to mind, underlining this point... (The youtube "suggested video" algorithm on the trailer below agrees btw. ;) )

edit: Only found the trailer, but watch the documentary, If you have a chance. I'm talking about the parts, where the girl gets into contact with her first agency.

edit: Documentary (sadly not entirely in english. :) ) h**ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzkr4ZQaIXs

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!