Homebrew Best alternative to the Snes VC emulator?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I have a 2DS XL as you know, and it uses the beefier 804 MHz CPU, and thus Snes VC, for the games it supports, they run very smooth, and a fairly accurate. With that said, I've run into a few snags with injections, notably with a few games like Final Fantasy VI, Super Mario RPG*, and so on.
Now, I know there's the Ultimate SNES Forwarder Maker for 3DS that uses a few emulators as a base, CatSFC, CatSFC Plus, and Snes9x Next (why it's included is beyond me, even with the faster CPU, it doesn't run optimally on the hardware).

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-snes-forwarder-maker-for-3ds.460895/

In fact, any game forwarded and injected into Snes9x Next will crash the 3DS when you close the app. So what I'm looking for is some alternatives to using Snes emulators on the New 2DS XL hardware. Now that I have Luma 3DS working perfectly, I'm curious as to what my options are.
I don't expect perfect emulation, that's unfeasible, but I do want to be able to comfortably use Snes ROMs, you know?

Problematic game(s) with official VC injection:

Final Fantasy VI:
The world map/towns run 60 fps, but whenever the battle transition happens, the mosaic tile effect, the emulator will slow down, yes, Nintendo's official emu drops frames. It will drop frames when huge spell animations are displayed on screen as well.

Secret of Mana:
Game uses pseudo hi-res Mode 7 512 x 448 resolution for variable width font, 3D cannon/dragon flying maps, etc. Nintendo's official VC emulator doesn't support this, so most menus and text will be corrupted.

Then we have the homebrew emulators:

RetroArch, and the subsequent emulators for it:
Snes9x 2002 - based off of 1.39
Snes9x 2005 - based off of 1.43
Snes9x 2005 Plus - based off of 1.43 with the 1.52 audio core
Snes9x 2010 (Snes9x Next) - based off of 1.52

Snes9x for 3DS, based off of 1.39, but again, the old audio core just sounds weird and
has a weirder semitone. Unless I missed a version?

What I'm trying to do is load the one with the best sound and performance, and it turns out
Snes9x 2005 plus (I assume it was CatSFC Plus), as it has accurate audio emulation. I'm very nitpicky about audio accuracy, if a game sounds off, it drives me crazy, because accurate sound has spoiled me. But even that core struggled with non-chip games like Castlevania IV and Chrono Trigger, always hitting 55/60 fps. What am I doing wrong? Is there no way to enjoy normal games at full speed with good SPC700 emulation? Will RetroArch ever get full speed Snes9x?

I'm curious to see what my options are, mostly, to get the best of both worlds, good performance and good audio emulation.
Please, and thank you ^_^

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: Ewpb

Anacobra

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You're emulating an entirely different system on an extremely underpowered device. I'm sure in time the emulation will become more accurate but a slight sound distortion isn't exactly a high priority here.

I recommend looking into a phone with a Bluetooth controller or emulating on a laptop or something if you're looking for accuracy here. I don't think there is very much a user can do to improve the sound quality beyond what you've already tried.

As for why it's included, well, beats me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're emulating an entirely different system on an extremely underpowered device. I'm sure in time the emulation will become more accurate but a slight sound distortion isn't exactly a high priority here.

I recommend looking into a phone with a Bluetooth controller or emulating on a laptop or something if you're looking for accuracy here. I don't think there is very much a user can do to improve the sound quality beyond what you've already tried.

As for why it's included, well, beats me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Phones, well, are expensive, especially for ones with more power. I just wanted to see the most of what I can get out. What about Genesis Plus, Nestopia, mGBA, etc will the CPU suffice for those at least?

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Anacobra

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Phones, well, are expensive, especially for ones with more power. I just wanted to see the most of what I can get out. What about Genesis Plus, Nestopia, mGBA, will the CPU suffice for those at least?
I'm not sure about the genesis (the sound probably isn't accurate with that either, but that's because the genesis has an extremely unique sound chip that even modern PC emulators have difficulty with) but I've found NES and GBA emulation to be relatively flawless.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure about the genesis (the sound probably isn't accurate with that either, but that's because the genesis has an extremely unique sound chip that even modern PC emulators have difficulty with) but I've found NES and GBA emulation to be relatively flawless.

Genesis Plus GX supposedly runs well on N3DS hardware, and has very accurate YM2612 (sound) emulation, so I can try that. The Wii Genesis emulation had off sound, very off.

Bubble2k16's port of Snes9x is probably the best one for N3DS, the latest unofficial has BS support too.

How good is the sound?

https://github.com/bubble2k16/snes9x_3ds

Looking at the Wiki, it uses 1.43 as a base, but has some stuff from 1.51 for better audio (as 1.43's audio is quite off with the pitch), so I can try that, and seems improving sound is
in the works of his to do list, I can try that too :P

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Genesis Plus GX supposedly runs well on N3DS hardware, and has very accurate YM2612 (sound) emulation, so I can try that. The Wii Genesis emulation had off sound, very off.

How good is the sound?

https://github.com/bubble2k16/snes9x_3ds

Looking at the Wiki, it uses 1.43 as a base, but has some stuff from 1.51 for better audio (as 1.43's audio is quite off with the pitch), so I can try that, and seems improving sound is
in the works of his to do list, I can try that too :P

I have not gotten any problems with the sound so far

This is the latest build btw https://gbatemp.net/threads/snes9x-for-old-3ds.435568/page-90#post-7455284

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phones, well, are expensive, especially for ones with more power. I just wanted to see the most of what I can get out. What about Genesis Plus, Nestopia, mGBA, etc will the CPU suffice for those at least?
you really don't need an expensive phone for snes emulation on android, I have a phone with mediocre specs, one of those phones with a mtk6580 Chinese processor, and snes games run pretty well using snes9x ex+, I can also run gba, genesis, ds, and some n64 games.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you really don't need an expensive phone for snes emulation on android, I have a phone with mediocre specs, one of those phones with a mtk6580 Chinese processor, and snes games run pretty well using snes9x ex+, I can also run gba, genesis, ds, and some n64 games.

I got 2DS XL originally for the Snes VC aspect and for 3DS games *shrug*. Genesis Plus GX reportedly runs perfect, so I can always use that too. Snes9x 3DS also runs well I hear. Not a fan of running emulators on phones, just feels weird.

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got 2DS XL originally for the Snes VC aspect and for 3DS games *shrug*. Genesis Plus GX reportedly runs perfect, so I can always use that too. Snes9x 3DS also runs well I hear. Not a fan of running emulators on phones, just feels weird.
yeah, I would only recommend it if you happen to have a compatible controller for your phone.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I use the Bubble2K version 1.11 which has the better sound. Whilst not perfect, its as good as it gets on 3DS (and ive tried pretty much everything on my N3DS)

Right, and he's still working on it though and is still getting improvements, so it'll get even better for N3DS/N2DS owners. Either that, or I use VC Snes injects which are all well and good, but some games simply don't work. Do you know much
about Nestopia and how well it runs for NES games or mGBA for GBA? I'd like to look into those :P

Anacobra

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Right, I do, but I have a 2DS XL, may as well make the most of it now that it's been CFW hacked.
For me 3(2)DS homebrew is more of a toy to tinker with and not something stable or fast/powerful enough to do anything serious with.

Most homebrew is proof of concept and there isn't going to ever be as much development for it as, say, Android simply because everything you make - everything you do is simply going to be stuck on the 3DS. For a developer that isn't always optimal - you want something that will be able to run your software for as long as possible.

There is also just the sheer number difference of people developing for the 3DS vs. Android/iOS/Windows/OSX/Linux, etc that can't be beat. Someone will always be able to pick up the torch and continue.

I'm sorry but beyond emulating particularly old consoles you aren't going to have 100% emulation here. There just isn't enough power and motivation.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me 3(2)DS homebrew is more of a toy to tinker with and not something stable or fast/powerful enough to do anything serious with.

Most homebrew is proof of concept and there isn't going to ever be as much development for it as, say, Android simply because everything you make - everything you do is simply going to be stuck on the 3DS. For a developer that isn't always optimal - you want something that will be able to run your software for as long as possible.

There is also just the sheer number difference of people developing for the 3DS vs. Android/iOS/Windows/OSX/Linux, etc that can't be beat. Someone will always be able to pick up the torch and continue.

I'm sorry but beyond emulating particularly old consoles you aren't going to have 100% emulation here. There just isn't enough power and motivation.

Emulating older consoles was the main reason I wanted one. RetroArch also has emulators that work fine too.

Al I've tried in fairness is Snes and Picodrive for Genesis and Master System.

Ah well, that's okay.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The N3DS is perfect in my opinion for emulating older systems. Its full speed and more or less perfect for systems like Master System, Genesis, Game Gear, GB, GBC, NES etc.

Snes is also close to perfect if you use a mixture of VC and Snes9X. (only game I've NOT been able to play properly is Yoshis Island but I just use the GBA version.

GBA is more or less perfect with VC injection (have over 50 that all appear flawless to my knowledge)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing fine, and you?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, happy birthday