Hardware Best gamepad battery replacement?

V10lator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As Nintendo doesn't seem to sell any Wii U parts in the EU anymore (I was thinking about buying a new gamepad just to get a new battery) what's the best battery replacement for the gamepad?

So far I found:
  • 3rd party batteries. Reviews differ from "all great" to "doesn't last 5 minutes" so does anyone know a reliable 3rd party brand? Please give valuable brands only: I have been burned with 3rd party mobile phone batteries in the past so I'm very sceptical here.
  • Used OEM batteries. Either way to expensive or the seller won't talk about the condition, so might last for 5 minutes max. - Might buy a used high capacity battery for 20 € anyway, just to see how good it will be.
  • Battery mods. Like taking out the PCB of a OEM battery and connecting it with a 3rd party (but valuable brand) battery. This needs more research but seems to be the best method. Does anyone know good, fitting 3rd party batteries for such a project?

Any other possibilities I didn't find yet?

Last edited by V10lator,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

As Nintendo doesn't seem to sell any Wii U parts in the EU anymore (I was thinking about buying a new gamepad just to get a new battery) what's the best battery replacement for the gamepad?

So far I found:
  • 3rd party batteries. Reviews differ from "all great" to "doesn't last 5 minutes" so does anyone know a reliable 3rd party brand? Please give valuable brands only: I have been burned with 3rd party mobile phone batteries in the past so I'm very sceptical here.
  • Used OEM batteries. Either way to expensive or the seller won't talk about the condition, so might last for 5 minutes max. - Might buy a used high capacity battery for 20 € anyway, just to see how good it will be.
  • Battery mods. Like taking out the PCB of a OEM battery and connecting it with a 3rd party (but valuable brand) battery. This needs more research but seems to be the best method. Does anyone know good, fitting 3rd party batteries for such a project?

Any other possibilities I didn't find yet?

I buyed this one in March 2020 and it is still "working".:D
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07T6S91F3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is China Ware,of Course,and I can not say you will get for sure the same Battery.
It works for me up to 5 Hours in use (Rumble disabled and Brightness set to "2")

For the Battery Drain in Stand By,after 2 Weeks in Stand By the Pad is empty....but that seems normal,correct ,@KleinesSinchen ?

Maybe @TurdPooCharger knows more Alternatives for you.:)

Thank you.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,

V10lator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It works for me up to 5 Hours in use (Rumble disabled and Brightness set to "2")
And that's the first problem: My OEM battery is wearing out, which means it will last for around 2-3 hours with maxed out brightness and rumble enabled. +2 hours doesn't sound like an improvement if it means reducing features at the same time.

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country

V10lator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Recommendation is WUP-013, the 2550 mAh battery if you can source them, but they are expensive as hell.
While it's stated as new the question is how long the seller stored it... I mean a battery that was new 8 years ago will be death today if never charged... So that may fall under the same category as 3rd party batteries.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While it's stated as new the question is how long the seller stored it... I mean a battery that was new 8 years ago will be death today if never charged... So that may fall under the same category as 3rd party batteries.

You should ask the seller that question, I bought one of the 2550 mAh last year it works fine, if the condition of 2550 mAh battery is brand new I wouldn't worry so much about it, obviously if you can find one in Germany or surrounding countries would be nice, it is harder to import from Japan, and possibly dangerous since it is a battery unless they put it in a gamepad.

with the 2550 mAh, you get about 6 hours to 8 hours of gameplay compared to the regular 1500 mAh which only lasts about 3-5 hours depends on your settings.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
[…]
For the Battery Drain in Stand By,after 2 Weeks in Stand By the Pad is empty....but that seems normal,correct ,@KleinesSinchen ?

Maybe @TurdPooCharger knows more Alternatives for you.:)
The Gamepad has a noticeable standby power drain. I've not measured it but I would rather not leave the battery connected when the Wii U is not in use for a longer period (deep discharge, unnecessary cycles).

The problem with all cheap aftermarket batteries is that you don't know what you get – and this will probably never change. Since the WUP-013 is out of production this leaves calling Nintendo and asking if they still offer replacing the WUP-012. Two years ago I wanted to buy a replacement battery and they told me on the hotline that I have to send in the Gamepad for getting a new battery (ended up buying a WUP-013 from amazon.fr instead).
If you don't need the extended time (the bigger original lasts about 8 hours on lowest brightness) but just a working battery: Call Nintendo and ask them if they still offer service.

Else: Just try a cheap battery. Buying a used original is not a very good idea in my opinion.

V10lator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's impossible to get a new OEM battery for a fair price where I live.

@KleinesSinchen: Around one month ago https://www.nintendo.de/Hilfe/Wii-U/Reparatur/Ersatzteile-bestellen/Ersatzteil-bestellen-860414.html was online and healthy. Now the website is offline, so I don't think calling Nintendo will help.

So I guess if I want a (relative) cheap, long lasting battery a battery mod is the way to go? Nobody replied to that one yet but as all other options seem to be bad in one way or another... ^^

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Also here in Austria,no longer Order of Replacement Parts possible for DSi/2 + 3DS/Wii/Wii U:

Aufgrund der geringen Nachfrage haben wir unseren Ersatzteil-Service eingestellt.
Due to the low demand, we have discontinued our spare parts service.

But you still can send it to Nintendo to repair.

V10lator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Also here in Austria,no longer Order of Replacement Parts possible for DSi/2 + 3DS/Wii/Wii U:

Aufgrund der geringen Nachfrage haben wir unseren Ersatzteil-Service eingestellt.
Due to the low demand, we have discontinued our spare parts service.
Yea, I guess it's for the EU as a whole.

But you still can send it to Nintendo to repair.
Would probably be pretty expensive?

Reactions: Alexander1970

V10lator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@alexander1970 https://www.nintendo.de/Hilfe/Wii-U/Reparatur/Reparaturpreisliste/Reparaturpreisliste-860026.html ... 3,50 € shipping... :P Anyway, my battery seems to be good, just slowly getting worse. Not sure if Nintendo would replace it at that point and what if that battery dies, too? I want to have my Wii U for as long as possible (I'm even looking into "how to run the Wii U without a disc drive" topics. It's all about the future)... :)

So a battery mod is what I'm really interrested in I guess as that would allow to produce new batteries on my own for the rest of my life... ^^

Last edited by V10lator,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
H

Holy shit. When I bought mine it was not even 20% of that price... There's no way anyone's paying that much, right?

Yup price is a lot higher than what use to be its retail price, even the one I bought the guy didn't charge as much as the link I linked, having the extra battery life is really nice, was a struggle back then when I was playing Xenoblade X with the 1500 mAh when you want to play for several hours continuously.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The Battery from aliexpress had Nintendo label on it but tbh I don't think certainly they are not original.

When I first installed the gamepad battery it it lasted as much as the original did. After two years now I can play about 4 hours until I need recharge.

Last edited by depaul,
Reactions: V10lator

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://infimobile.com/details/plans-5734270 this is kinda tempting