Homebrew [Beta] Thenaya - TagMo for 3DS

Trumpasaurus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP: This worked beautifully. Just used this last night. Thank you for all of your support for the community. Not all of us can afford this Amiibo craze (it's incredibly EXPENSIVE), so this definitely helps us access content we may never have been able to otherwise.
Question: Do you think you will be able to support broadcasting the Amiibo signal? If you can read and write Amiibo, why not broadcast it? That way if we have multiple 3DSs you could use one to send Amiibo signal to another. Heck, you could use your 3DS with your WiiU and with your Switch. This would allow us to skip even writing to the NFC tags altogether and save us even more money.
I tried to see if you could put it in write mode and hold it up to my other 3DS to see if it would read the signal, but obviously the app was looking for the blank tag to write, so it wouldn't broadcast the NFC signal. Darn it.
But surely this is something that would be possible in a future release? I have an iPhone and Apple locks down NFC emulation, and I don't want to have to resort to buying that expense N2elite or whatever. This would be a good alternative.

Reactions: Deleted User

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP: This worked beautifully. Just used this last night. Thank you for all of your support for the community. Not all of us can afford this Amiibo craze (it's incredibly EXPENSIVE), so this definitely helps us access content we may never have been able to otherwise.
Question: Do you think you will be able to support broadcasting the Amiibo signal? If you can read and write Amiibo, why not broadcast it? That way if we have multiple 3DSs you could use one to send Amiibo signal to another. Heck, you could use your 3DS with your WiiU and with your Switch. This would allow us to skip even writing to the NFC tags altogether and save us even more money.
I tried to see if you could put it in write mode and hold it up to my other 3DS to see if it would read the signal, but obviously the app was looking for the blank tag to write, so it wouldn't broadcast the NFC signal. Darn it.
But surely this is something that would be possible in a future release? I have an iPhone and Apple locks down NFC emulation, and I don't want to have to resort to buying that expense N2elite or whatever. This would be a good alternative.
Emulating a tag is a specific function of the NFC driver, which most don't have. Someone would need to write a custom NFC driver to get it to emulate a tag rather than simply reading and writing them. Even Android phones, with their vast selection of NFC chipsets, don't have this feature in any of their drivers. So until someone writes a complete driver to replace the stock one, broadcasting is not going to happen, on 3DS nor Android, anytime soon.

Trumpasaurus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulating a tag is a specific function of the NFC driver, which most don't have. Someone would need to write a custom NFC driver to get it to emulate a tag rather than simply reading and writing them. Even Android phones, with their vast selection of NFC chipsets, don't have this feature in any of their drivers. So until someone writes a complete driver to replace the stock one, broadcasting is not going to happen, on 3DS nor Android, anytime soon.
That seems so odd though. It's almost as if you're saying "this can write and rip DVDs, but it can't play them." Maybe a bad analogy, but I think you get my point.

I have to take issue with what you're saying about Android because you're completely wrong. Go to nfcemulator.bmob.site (it's just a site for this android app, nothing else).
The Chinese have already done it. I'm reading on XDA-Developers.com a post about a guy in Taoyuan City who uses this app. Also, another user in this forum uses it as well. A post from June 2016 says he uses it for his door card and store data.
So I'm happy to bring you the good news :)

Last edited by Trumpasaurus,
Reactions: Deleted User

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That seems so odd though. It's almost as if you're saying "this can write and rip DVDs, but it can't play them." Maybe a bad analogy, but I think you get my point.

I have to take issue with what you're saying about Android because you're completely wrong. Go to nfcemulator.bmob.site (it's just a site for this android app, nothing else).
The Chinese have already done it. I'm reading on XDA-Developers.com a post about a guy in Taoyuan City who uses this app. Also, another user in this forum uses it as well. A post from June 2016 says he uses it for his door card and store data.
So I'm happy to bring you the good news :)
See here: https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/connectivity/nfc/hce.html

What you want is Host-based Card Emulation. Some Android phones do have this, but it's limited to what types of NFC tags it can emulate.

Specifically, Android 4.4 supports emulating cards that are based on the NFC-Forum ISO-DEP specification (based on ISO/IEC 14443-4) and process Application Protocol Data Units (APDUs) as defined in the ISO/IEC 7816-4 specification. Android mandates emulating ISO-DEP only on top of the Nfc-A (ISO/IEC 14443-3 Type A) technology. Support for Nfc-B (ISO/IEC 14443-4 Type B) technology is optional. The layering of all these specifications is shown in the figure 3.

None of the supported types are NTAG215 compatible. That is why a new driver would need to be made.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm trying this , and I'm lost about this part:

put the amiibo encryption key file to sd root with the name "amiibo_keys.bin"
I can only find 2 files searching for this, there was one that was just oe file but the app says that it's too large and don't work :x
Found one and worked nicely XD thanks!
Actually only the .cia version worked for me, in homebrew I could ot use even in "boot selection" or .cia homebrew launcher , it got stuck on a red screen

(yeah I still use Luma emunand :v )

Last edited by Sliter,

Trumpasaurus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
See here: https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/connectivity/nfc/hce.html

What you want is Host-based Card Emulation. Some Android phones do have this, but it's limited to what types of NFC tags it can emulate.

None of the supported types are NTAG215 compatible. That is why a new driver would need to be made.
I wish there weren't so many NFC types. So annoying haha.
Thanks for the clarification. It is definitely possible it seems, unfortunately, Nintendo picked a more obscure NFC type?? Damn it. Nintendo loves doing stuff like that. That's why I was pleasantly surprised when they went with USB C on the Switch. I love the direction they're going. Hope they keep it up.

Back to NFC: I'm seeing some other NFC progress in different threads. Looks promising. I'm cheering these coders on. Doing great work.

SRKTiberious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Ntag215 cards came in today (I picked up 100 from AliExpress, which is far more than I'll need), and I tested Thenaya with a Majora's Mask Link dump. Outside of the usual text glitchiness (seriously, this should be addressed since I can't read the instructions if they're just garbled pixels), it completed properly, and when scanned into Breath of the Wild, I received the Fierce Deity Tunic. I'd made sure to keep the card on the reader/writer before starting, and also kept my o3DS on the same surface, so as to minimize chances of write errors.

TL;DR: Finally got to test writing, and it works fine. I can make up to 100 amiibo cards now.

Kleyon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
My Ntag215 cards came in today (I picked up 100 from AliExpress, which is far more than I'll need), and I tested Thenaya with a Majora's Mask Link dump. Outside of the usual text glitchiness (seriously, this should be addressed since I can't read the instructions if they're just garbled pixels), it completed properly, and when scanned into Breath of the Wild, I received the Fierce Deity Tunic. I'd made sure to keep the card on the reader/writer before starting, and also kept my o3DS on the same surface, so as to minimize chances of write errors.

TL;DR: Finally got to test writing, and it works fine. I can make up to 100 amiibo cards now.

We tried writing on a NTAG215 when O3DS & NFC writer weren't at the same height (so not the very same surface) it was just about some centimetres and it simply can't write anything to it, just generating an error and keeping NTAG215 clean. In case you wonder ^^ Concerning upper screen if it's really too unreadable (sometimes it's readable), you can press home button and go back to Thenaya to have better display.

Last edited by Kleyon,

SRKTiberious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something's not right. I've tried to install (over the older version) twice, but it keeps showing as 0.6 and still has garbled text.

Further, it doesn't show in System Settings under 3DS Software, so I'm unable to delete the old version to install the new.

Edit: It showed as a 0-block, blank entry in System Settings, and when deleted, did remove the old version. Installing the new one, however, leads to a blank icon, with a blank name under the giftbox.

Last edited by SRKTiberious,

Naked_Snake

Constant Miscreant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Something's not right. I've tried to install (over the older version) twice, but it keeps showing as 0.6 and still has garbled text.

Further, it doesn't show in System Settings under 3DS Software, so I'm unable to delete the old version to install the new.
Use FBI
*delete title and ticket and reinstall

HiddenRambler

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Edit: It showed as a 0-block, blank entry in System Settings, and when deleted, did remove the old version. Installing the new one, however, leads to a blank icon, with a blank name under the giftbox.

Apologies I didn't test the cia, thought it would be ok. Will test and re-upload once i get home.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Unrelated to my post above, I get nfiInit() failed: 0xd8e06406 when I open up the app. What's the problem? I'm using a New 3DS and the CIA build.

Try the 3dsx (homebrew) version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Guess it's just a click then +2