• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Biden just indicated, that he would preserve Trump tax cuts

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Well that makes Biden look pretty damn weak, but since it comes with the caveat of Republicans approving infrastructure spending, it's probably not gonna happen anyway. Like c'mon, did he learn absolutely nothing from Obama's two terms? When Democrats are in power, the right's only purpose is to obstruct. No amount of compromise is going to change that.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trumps tax plan was why we had the 2020 election? Not sure wtf the guy was talking about with that comment. But god fucking forbid Biden is willing to work with Republicans to gain some of their support. Whether a person likes him going back on this or not, regardless of how one feels about it whatsoever, working together is something the previous administration knew absolutely NOTHING about. It's a good strategy and maybe if Drump had even remotely tried to gain some Liberal supporters... he'd not have lost so fucking BIGLY. Not that I wanted him to still be in office, but the point is a valid one imo. While the rights objective may be to obstruct and no compromise will change that... it's ultimately the voters that are watching and keeping track of things. Those in government positions obstruct all they want, but the more Republican voters that see Biden is willing to work with the other side of the fence, the better he looks to Republican voters. Don't like the change myself, but I do feel it was a good move for reasons why he did it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Those in government positions obstruct all they want, but the more Republican voters that see Biden is willing to work with the other side of the fence, the better he looks to Republican voters.
This is assuming that Republican voters place value in the act of compromise, and I've seen nothing to indicate that this is the case. Hell, more than half of them will probably continue believing Biden stole the election until the day they die.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is assuming that Republican voters place value in the act of compromise, and I've seen nothing to indicate that this is the case. Hell, more than half of them will probably continue believing Biden stole the election until the day they die.

Honestly, fair enough point to make.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Vote Democrat vote Republican nothing changes
Dems are far from perfect and neoliberalism pisses me off to no end, but the sad reality of the situation is that they're the only major party in the US that still supports democracy in the modern day. Republicans are ready to give up and give in to monarchy or authoritarianism so that somebody else can tell them how to live every minute of their lives, even if it's the wrong way.

What is Biden's other choice?
Play hardball with Manchin and Sinema. Literally call them up every day and lay into them until they're willing to vote to abolish the filibuster. Use positive and negative reinforcement, along with every bit of leverage that the party has to offer.

Last edited by Xzi,

Deleted member 559230

Trophies
XP
Trumps tax cuts helped the economy grow and prosper so I'm not sure why anyone would want to get rid of them. Though Biden did run on a platform often mentioning how he is going to raise taxes and usually that was followed with the cheering of his supporters. I'm not sure what sort of idiot wants their taxes raised.

"Everywhere is freaks and hairies
Dykes and fairies, tell me where is sanity
Tax the rich, feed the poor
Till there are no rich no more"
-
Ten Years After – I'd Love To Change The World Lyrics
from album: A Space In Time (1971)

https://www.lyricsfreak.com/t/ten+years+after/id+love+to+change+the+world_20135632.html

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trumps tax cuts helped the economy grow and prosper so I'm not sure why anyone would want to get rid of them. Though Biden did run on a platform often mentioning how he is going to raise taxes and usually that was followed with the cheering of his supporters. I'm not sure what sort of idiot wants their taxes raised.

"Everywhere is freaks and hairies
Dykes and fairies, tell me where is sanity
Tax the rich, feed the poor
Till there are no rich no more"
-
Ten Years After – I'd Love To Change The World Lyrics
from album: A Space In Time (1971)

https://www.lyricsfreak.com/t/ten+years+after/id+love+to+change+the+world_20135632.html
The former president's tax cuts disproportionately affected the rich, and they had no measurable effect on the economy. Taxes are necessary for revenue, and taxes on higher earners need to go up.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what sort of idiot wants their taxes raised.
Nobody wants their own taxes raised, just the taxes for corporations and the wealthy. We're talking like the top 5-10%, a group neither you nor I will ever be a part of. And even if by some miracle we did get there, higher taxes would not affect our lavish lifestyles in the least at that point. Class war has been waging for quite some time now, and the rich have been piling up the wins thanks to so many serfs licking their boots.

Last edited by Xzi,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Ya know, that's pretty fuckin' rich, after the way Democrats behaved 2016-2020.
If they had compromised with lawless fascism, they wouldn't have won in 2018 and 2020. But the Dems put forward plenty of bills with compromises included during those years, and none of them even got put to a vote in the Senate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn