• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Biden: "You can’t be pro-insurrection and pro-America."

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I feel like people forgot that this thread was about traitors who threw a hissy fit and called out by the old dude running the country on a dead platform

That's... artistic. Which would you prefer to be; a traitor or dead?

Last edited by tabzer,

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm referring to the context of you ignoring the claim that conservatives are Nazis and, instead, fighting the disputation of it.
I didn't address that claim one way or the other. The 'argument' is non-existent. If you wish to dispute the claim, I have no problem with that, but you could come up with a better argument than using a different context for the word 'conservative' than the political one in which it was clearly intended.

Not only do actions speak, you just told me that it's okay for people to perceive conservatives as Nazis. "It's defining for people who think that way". Lol. Are you serious?
Again with the strawman. I never said or implied anything about that. I merely pointed out that the argument against it presented by Mythrandir and backed by you is flawed. Dark_Ansem is correct about the context of the word.

Mythrandir

Life-long Learner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lmao you keep telling yourself that.

I'm not sure that I understand this response. Was I not clear that I agreed with your statement that Roman Catholic scholars in the Vatican would not listen to me?

Oh so now you're challenging it but in the same message you claim to rely on the existing definition.

I apologize for my poor communication. I will clarify. I am challenging the rhetorically loaded definition permitting sweeping generalizations justifying the accusation that all those that disagree with one's position are Nazis.

Nice corner save *attempt*. Definition 2b eh? Not exactly the first one available, how convenient.

It is not a hierarchy referring to the most correct definition. We can use 1 if you like, though it provides a stronger case for my position regarding reliance on the Latin root.

Something that conserves; a preserving agent, force, substance, etc.; a preservative.

You stated that you preferred reliance on a dictionary. I provided a dictionary definition. Then you stated that the definition was not the first. I've now provided the first. How is this not moving the goal posts? Yet I still give you what you ask. I think we may be to the point that you are going to have to argue why the Oxford English Dictionary is the inferior dictionary to your preferred Merriam-Webster Dictionary. Unfortunately, I think you may be at a disadvantage unless you feigned ignorance when implying multiple definitions were organized in a hierarchy with the most correct definition listed first.

Truth of the matter is that movements rooted in bigotry/xenophobia and intent on installing authoritarians to enforce racial/ethnic/religious hierarchies have barely changed over the centuries. MAGA wouldn't be what it is today if Trump's favorite book wasn't written by Hitler, and its supporters wouldn't be who they are if not for the confederate flags, bumper stickers, and tattoos. Relatively speaking, fascism has always been the refuge of the weak-minded.

Is this what you have accused @Ligeia of being guilty of?

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like people forgot that this thread was about traitors who threw a hissy fit and called out by the old dude running the country on a dead platform

i didnt forget, im trying to show them the error in their beliefs, trust me i dont want communism either.
Post automatically merged:

I didn't address that claim one way or the other. The 'argument' is non-existent. If you wish to dispute the claim, I have no problem with that, but you could come up with a better argument than using a different context for the word 'conservative' than the political one in which it was clearly intended.

Again with the strawman. I never said or implied anything about that. I merely pointed out that the argument against it presented by Mythrandir and backed by you is flawed. Dark_Ansem is correct about the context of the word.

im guessing thats a no?

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

You did address it. You even specifically rationalized it.

You refer to "it", as "it" is the context here. Without "it", there would be no discussion. The argument presented by @Mythrandir and backed by me is an effort to demonstrate conservative as a quality, not a monolithic ideology. My post about the linear political spectrum should have been enough to clarify the differences in application. You might be conservative in ways that you are ashamed to admit, because you think being called a Nazi is scarier. That's what I'm thinking.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Is this what you have accused @Ligeia of being guilty of?
Mostly of buying into xenophobic propaganda from corporations and right-wing political parties, yes. There's no one cause for all of humanity's problems, but if you're gonna blame anyone, it's a lot more reasonable to blame the billionaire ruling class than it is to blame immigrants who own little else beside the clothing on their backs.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Mostly of buying into xenophobic propaganda from corporations and right-wing political parties, yes. There's no one cause for all of humanity's problems, but if you're gonna blame anyone, it's a lot more reasonable to blame the billionaire ruling class than it is to blame immigrants who own little else beside the clothing on their backs.

Shouldn't those immigrants fix their countries? Isn't that the whole rationale behind the tariffs against Russia?

Just curious.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Shouldn't those immigrants fix their countries? Isn't that the whole rationale behind the tariffs against Russia?

Just curious.
No, the tariffs against Russia are meant to cut into Putin's war chest and put the squeeze on his pet oligarchs. A very large number of Russians have fled the country since his invasion began, and I don't blame them in the least.

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You did address it. You even specifically rationalized it.
Show me specifically where I did that.
You refer to "it", as "it" is the context here. Without "it", there would be no discussion. The argument presented by @Mythrandir and backed by me is an effort to demonstrate conservative as a quality, not a monolithic ideology. My post about the linear political spectrum should have been enough to clarify the differences in application. You might be conservative in ways that you are ashamed to admit, because you think being called a Nazi is scarier. That's what I'm thinking.
But Dark_Ansem was not referring to 'conservative' as a quality or an attribute. He was clearly referring to conservative ideology in the political context. Your response was a nonsense (probably ChatGPT generated) essay about how it's not correct to ascribe any political ideologies to anyone.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

well no one is blaming immigrants for anything for starters.
Post automatically merged:

But Dark_Ansem was not referring to 'conservative' as a quality or an attribute. He was clearly referring to conservative ideology in the political context. Your response was a nonsense (probably ChatGPT generated) essay about how it's not correct to ascribe any political ideologies to anyone.

ahhh fear got it.

• Haha

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

oKay:

While it's true that saying all conservatives are Nazis would be a defining characteristic of conservatives from the perspective of one that holds that belief, it would not switch the context of the original term which refers to people whose ideology falls to the right of the political spectrum and traditionally hold a specific set of beliefs or values to one who conserves... anything. That is ridiculous.

🤷

But Dark_Ansem was not referring to 'conservative' as a quality or an attribute. He was clearly referring to conservative ideology in the political context.

And it's not monolithic. I already pointed that out.

Your response was a nonsense (probably ChatGPT generated) essay about how it's not correct to ascribe any political ideologies to anyone.

It was ChatGPT. If you want to argue that it is nonsense because a computer did it for me, then I take it as a compliment. Feel free to take your concerns to ChatGPT. Have fun!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
well no one is blaming immigrants for anything for starters.
It's been damn near the only issue Republican politicians and TV personalities have talked about since Biden took office. The key is keeping people angry enough about it so that the logical part of their brains can't tell them that "solving" the issue would not result in any tangible benefit for the average American whatsoever.

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did not address the merits of the Nazi argument there at all. I was explaining the difference between a characteristic and a definition. An Apple could be red, but red is not an apple. Hopefully you understand now but I'm sure that you do not.

And it's not monolithic. I already pointed that out.
If you ignore context maybe. But that's a bad faith argument from the start, as I've already explained in my very first response.

It was ChatGPT. If you want to argue that it is nonsense because a computer did it for me, then I take it as a compliment. Feel free to take your concerns to ChatGPT. Have fun!
... or you could defend your own argument instead of relying on A.I. to do it for you. Then you wouldn't have to worry about whether or not it's nonsense.

On second thought, stick with the A.I. Probably better off.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been damn near the only issue Republican politicians and TV personalities have talked about since Biden took office. The key is keeping people angry enough about it so that the logical part of their brains can't tell them that "solving" the issue would not result in any tangible benefit for the average American whatsoever.

well yea its a problem, but no one is blaming them specifically.

Reactions: tabzer

Chris2055

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you talked earlier about nazis, and ill forego any insults as thats the professional thing to do, but, id be interested in hearing how you were gonna prove the right are nazis, i can immediately disprove it, but im curious as to your idea.
Where did I talk about Nazis? You want me to prove an assertion I never made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: