Tutorial  Updated

Block Wii U System Updates (Without DNS Blocking!)

This method has been circulating around since yesterday. Presumably, it was discovered on a Chinese forum.

Using this method allows you to stay connected without DNS blocking, and therefore have complete access to Nintendo services.

There are some concerns floating around about this process. So here is a complete guide detailing the process.

Disclaimer:
The following guide tampers with your NAND. Use this with caution or there is a good chance you'll MESS UP your Wii U for good, or even BRICK!

Requirements:

• A Wii U & SD: Firmware and SD size doesn't matter as long as you satisfy the other conditions
  • Mocha Or Haxchi
  • HBL on SD card
  • ftpiiu_everywhere (Haxchi) on SD card
  • Access to HBL: Browserhax, Haxchi/CBHC, or any other form of entry point, are all fine. As long as you access it.
  • A PC with FTP Client: Technically it doesn't have to be a PC. It can even be done on your phone with an FTP Client. I'm using the PC for the simplicity of it. FileZilla IS RECOMMENDED.
  • Optional: Use Nand Dumper to back up your nand with all it's contents, as well as dumping the OTP and SEEPRPOM. By having those, you can unbrick your system with a hardmod at any point. Dumping MLC will require a 64GB SD card if your Wii U is 32GB, or 16GB SD card if your Wii U is 8GB.

1A) Using Haxchi/CBHC:
  1. System Menu: Have Haxchi reboot to System menu.
  2. System Menu: Launch HBL via Haxchi or browser.
  3. HBL: Launch ftpiiu_everywhere.
  4. Proceed to section "2)" of the guide to block updates. Proceed to section "3)" if you want to unblock them again.
1B) Using Mocha:
  1. System Menu: Launch HBL via browser.
  2. HBL: Start Mocha (Using default values are fine)
  3. System Menu: Launch HBL via browser again.
  4. HBL: Launch ftpiiu_everywhere.
  5. Proceed to section "2)" of the guide to block updates. Proceed to section "3)" if you want to unblock them again.
2) Modifying your Nand, and blocking updates:
  1. PC: Use an FTP client to connect to your Wii U using the IP address and port on your Wii U screen.
  2. PC: Once connected, Navigate to: "storage_mlc/sys/"
  3. PC: Locate "update" folder, right-click it and Pick "File Permissions". Make sure it's the same as the screenshot below. If it's not the same, then make note of that. You will need it if you want to enable updates later. If it's the Same, then proceed to the next Step.
    384072-FTPiiU.PNG
  4. PC: Delete “update” folder.
  5. Wii U: Press "Home" button to get back to HBL, press it again to get back to Mii Maker.
  6. Wii U: Exit Mii Maker, and click on system settings.
  7. System Settings: Attempt to update your Wii U as Normal. A few seconds after it starts and the progress bar appears, it should give out this error code: 105-3012. If the progress bar actually continues to move, TURN OFF THE WII U IMMEDIATELY!! Recheck your steps, cause something went wrong.
3) Unblocking updates:

If for whatever reason, you would like to return the Wii U to it's original updating state, start by following "1A)" or "1B)" of the guide, then proceed to the next step of this section:
  1. PC: Use an FTP client to connect to your Wii U using the IP address and port on your Wii U screen.
  2. PC: Once connected, Navigate to: "storage_mlc/sys/"
  3. PC: Right-click, and select "Create Directory". Create “update” folder. Once created, right-click again, and select "File Permissions".
  4. PC: When you originally did section "2)", if your permissions were the same as the screenshot in that section, enter those same permissions here. If not, then you should have noted them down somewhere. Enter those values instead, then click ok.
  5. Wii U: Press "Home" button to get back to HBL, press it again to get back to Mii Maker.
  6. Wii U: Exit Mii Maker, and click on system settings.
  7. System Settings: Attempt to update your Wii U as Normal. It should proceed to update normally.
Credits:
@fejich for being the first to notify us about a Chinese website doing this method in this thread
@Shaoxudong for translating the process, and testing it.

Last edited by Madridi,

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Looking for a little help. I followed this guide and successfully deleted the update folder. However when I go into settings and check for updates it still successfully checks There is no error message.. I FTP'd back into the folder again and the update folder has definitely been deleted
You're on the latest update? iirc, checking is fine. It's the installation part (when there is something to be installed) where it will fail.
So you're good

Reactions: spectral

ahmad

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hmmm I followed the instructions but cannot FIND the folder because all folders in the root directory of NAND have a question mark on them and when clicked I get "Failed to retrieve directory listing" in FileZilla. On the Wii U it says 550 Success.

I have tried rebooting in CFW (Haxchi) and ensuring I'm on CFW before browsing with FileZilla - no dice.

I also started with empty username and password but it seemed from what I saw on the Wii U screen it said to use USER and PASS which I tried - again I failed :(

FileZilla is in passive mode.

Any help please?

Last edited by ahmad,

ahmad

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
I solved this (hopefully) in a VERY round about manner which I didn't fully understand.

I decided to try Mocha (risking it in a way as I wasn't sure if this was ok to do with Haxchi now installed).

So I put Mocha.elf to a folder in Apps on my SD. And put FTPiiU everywhere in another folder in Apps.

Then I put the SD into my machine and used browser exploit - this one worked for me again first time under 5.5.2 - usploit.hacks.guide

Then with the HBL I launched Mocha successfully.

Here I reached a dead end because I didn't know how I would launch FTPiiU??

FORTUNATELY I had installed HBL as a channel following the noob guide, and used this successfully to launch FTPiiU. This time success!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think you are mixing what Homebrew launcher is, how it's launched, and what haxchi and mocha are.

you didn't need to do the browser exploit again.
you can launch the homebrew launcher using Haxchi icon, that's the FIRST purpose of haxchi : launch homebrew offline, not needing the unstable browser exploit anymore.

Haxchi icon is a forwarder to other homebrew.
by default, it launches Homebrew launcher if you don't press any button.

I think I understand what you did.
you didn't really patched the firmware with haxchi, you probably just launched haxchi (which doesn't patch the firmware, but launches the hombrew launcher !)
so, without any CFW patches, that's normal you can't access NAND.

edit:
a more detailed reply posted here : https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-community-noob-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.451297/page-114#post-8000392

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Madridi

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Yes, I agree with @Cyan .. I'm pretty sure that's what you did.

Another reason might be the mixture between the two ftpiiu versions. You can't use the version for haxchi with mocha, or the opposite.

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
haxchi version should work with Mocha (based on the sources), but I didn't test so I can't confirm.
I can confirm that it doesn't. It will work as regular ftpiiu client. It won't have what ftpiiu_everywhere has. It needs signature patches for that.

There is also several people on this very same thread who had trouble following this tutorial, only to later realize that they were using the wrong ftpiiu version.

There is a reason 2 versions exist :)

MhysT

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this guide! It's super easy to follow, and no risk bricking the system. Still works for 5.5.2U (which is my FW) and the reason why I did this is because I don't want having the risk of auto-updating the system without my permission. This method really nullifies that because of the absence of the update folder. So to clarify, if I want to update games and access eShop, I just use NNUPatcher every time I update games (of course, not like enabling it after updating 1 game duh), right? Thank you for this guide again. It really helped me a lot. :D

Reactions: Madridi

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's right, the guide explains how to block/unblock the update process, but doesn't tell what to do if there's a new available update version.

now that 5.5.3 is out, everyone who did this on 5.5.2 firmware version will have to launch NNUPatcher to access eshop or update games.
Maybe a semi-solution would be to install the "sysver" update only, which would spoof the console to 5.5.3 without really updating, but it would only trick games launching, not eshop.
but there's really no need to spoof because all the 5.5.3 did is remove the tvi icon and add GPRD to EU consoles. no system or security changes (known so far), so it's safe to update.

To update, you'll have to restore the Update folder, set the proper rights, update from network, re-delete the Update folder. everything is explained in the guide on first post.

After updating to 5.5.3, If you have CBHC, you'll have to re-install the auto-boot.
- put cbhc installer on SD (both folders, in wiiu/apps/ and on SD root).
- run hbl by launching the "do not touch!" icon. yes, you can touch it, it will launch CBHC manually instead of auto-booting it, press home to access the boot menu and choose launch HBL.
- launch CBHC installer to re-patch system.xml file to autoboot cbhc.

Last edited by Cyan,

Deleted member 433093

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does said update folder store information on outdated games?
Because it would be great to run the old version of Mario Maker with the lava bubble glitch :D
Currently whenever i try to run my WUP installed Mario Maker it keeps telling me to update :/
Since the only way to downgrade a game is to use System Settings, the Wii U creates a file that says I need to update the game :(

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does said update folder store information on outdated games?
Because it would be great to run the old version of Mario Maker with the lava bubble glitch :D
Currently whenever i try to run my WUP installed Mario Maker it keeps telling me to update :/
Since the only way to downgrade a game is to use System Settings, the Wii U creates a file that says I need to update the game :(

iirc, game versions are in a file called version.bin . if an update was downloaded, it might be in the import folder. that's where new installs go before arriving at the correct destination, possibly before the installation process. either that, or it's a ticket problem causing the system to think there's an update. iirc, games and updates' tickets are different, so look for the update one.

Deleted member 433093

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well there IS an update but I would prefer to run the old version of Super Mario Maker. So i guess editing the .bin file could trick the system into thinking it's already updated?

EDIT: Is it possible to interrupt the installation procedure and run the game anyway?

Last edited by Deleted member 433093,

Sega dude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this block all updates, or just system updates? In other words, after doing this and removing the DNS, will I be able to get game updates? I apologize if this has already been answered.

muzak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You're on the latest update? iirc, checking is fine. It's the installation part (when there is something to be installed) where it will fail.
So you're good

So you can't actually check until there is another update? I am experiencing the same thing. No error - it just says I am up to date.

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Yes. The only way to check is to redo the steps, and check if the deleted folder recreated itself or not. If it didn’t, then you are good

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O