Bloomberg reports tech details of 4K Nintendo Switch model, release window and pricing

Nintendo_Switch_logo,_horizontal.png

After rumors about Sony shutting down the digital store of some of its older platforms, new rumors emerged today, but this time about Nintendo's upgraded Switch. According to a new report from Bloomberg, according to "people familiar with the matter", the rumored Switch Pro will use "an upgraded Nvidia chip with better graphics and processing". This chipset will provide the new Switch model with better CPU and increased memory. It will also support Nvidia’s Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) which uses A.I. to efficiently deliver higher-fidelity graphics.

The report notes that since DLSS support requires new code to be added to games, this feature will be mainly used to enhance the graphics of upcoming titles. This information comes from the aforementioned sources and "multiple game developers".

This new Switch upgrade will apparently also feature an upgraded 7-inch OLED display from Samsung. The new NVIDIA chip will also reportedly "reproduce game visuals at 4K quality when plugged into a TV".

Bloomberg also mentions that this new Switch model is planned to release for the end of year shopping season, with analysts tipping the price tag at $400.

Again, we should take these news with a pinch of salt as Bloomberg's sources "asked not to be identified because the plan is not public". But rumors around a Switch Pro model have been circulating for a while now. Would you buy one with these specs at this price at the end of this year?

:arrow: SOURCE

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
Awesome! I heard there are two different Nintendo Switch Pro price are $350 and $400. I think $350 (HDTV mode and without battery) and $400 (with battery). I prefer Nintendo Switch Pro without battery to plug in HDTV and play any games I like. I don't like battery built in with system. I will look forward to Nintendo Switch Pro without battery. :)

Reactions: Jayro

mspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
According to this report the new chip comes on the Switch itself? I always thought that a new chip would go on the dock and maybe Nintendo would make something like the Wii U to stream/redirect the resources that the new chip offers on the dock to the switch when handheld so it would not consume to much power on the switch itself. Also the raise in price is questionable, even if it comes with a new chip and increased storage and whatnot, one would think that they would drop the price of the old model and maintain the current price for the new model, 100$ increase is a lot.

As things stand right now it’s looking more like a Switch 2 than a simple revision, which raise the question if new games would be exclusive to the new switch or would be playable on the old one as well with downscaled graphics, this is worrisome because developers might not want to downgrade their games to run on the old switch and go only with the new switch instead.

Btw can’t current games receive a simple update to use DLSS? I hope that they don’t go the route of re-releasing games with like a ‘DLSS EDITION’ and make you pay again for them. Regarding DLSS, people speak of it as if it doesn’t consume any battery at all, well can it drain the battery or not, surely it does not do all off it’s magic without any increased power requirements?

Anyway, I guess that the Switch with this new chip will become more like a porting machine of old PS4/XBOX games for developers who want to make a quick buck.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to pass on the "Switch Pro"

CFW > Switch Pro I doubt there will be an exploit for it. The only thing beneficial if GameStop would offer a nice trade in credit towards the older switch towards the newer ones. I'm pretty sure games will be supported on both models so I don't see the need. Besides we don't even have any decent streaming apps for the switch so why have 4K if you're getting barebones

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So many rumors... It must be true. So what's it gonna be?
I'd still take it with a grain of salt, the rumours stem from the same one or two websites or magazines then a bunch of other rumours get made using the original ones as a source.

I've heard rumors that it might not be called the Switch Pro, but the Super Switch... Which not only sounds like a "pro gamer move" by Nintendo, but also a throwback to the Super Nintendo.

I've got one of these, and it solves that issue right up, along with adjustable viewing angles. Worth the $20 to me, as I mostly play tabletop with my Pro Controller.

View attachment 253682
That's nice actually, especially since a lot of people's kick stands have broken. I can't repair mine because I got it used and the screws were already damaged, and I don't really feel like drilling into the screws in the backplate.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All I saw was blah blah blah 60 FPS switch games (I know it doesn't SAY that but that's what more performance means)

Sold. Couldn't give two shits less about 4k.

I love the handheld mode but I wish they'd properly utilize the dock and actually have it affect performance when going docked. It'd be such an easy way to sell cheaper upgrades instead of having to buy a brand new console.

Well there's always the Switch U

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BotW 2 will definitely be a launch title for this New Switch, just like the original Switch - BotW was the killer app that made the Switch worth buying. I bet Nintendo will make BotW 2 run at 60fps on the New Switch and 30fps on the old Switch. This will make people upgrade to have the best experience.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
BotW 2 will definitely be a launch title for this New Switch, just like the original Switch - BotW was the killer app that made the Switch worth buying. I bet Nintendo will make BotW 2 run at 60fps on the New Switch and 30fps on the old Switch. This will make people upgrade to have the best experience.
If you care about that world, and its horrendous game mechanics and barren wasteland...what made me like the Switch was Xenoblade Chronicles 2, honestly, and Kirby Star Allies. Some other games too, since I got my Switch in 2018. Super Mario Odyssey was better than Galaxy ever could be, but it's still just average. Fire Emblem: Three Houses...eh, repetitive first half, stupid Magic restrictions, arbitrary Activity Point mechanic, only able to play on one day of each week which further restricts number of actions possible; it's just no Awakening or Fates Revelations.
Mega Man 11 was pretty fun, even if I had to use the easiest difficulty with infinite Beat rescues.

Yeah, my "killer app" was Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Great story and characters, fun gameplay, beautiful world; pretty much everything BotW isn't.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you care about that world, and its horrendous game mechanics and barren wasteland...what made me like the Switch was Xenoblade Chronicles 2, honestly, and Kirby Star Allies. Some other games too, since I got my Switch in 2018. Super Mario Odyssey was better than Galaxy ever could be, but it's still just average. Fire Emblem: Three Houses...eh, repetitive first half, stupid Magic restrictions, arbitrary Activity Point mechanic, only able to play on one day of each week which further restricts number of actions possible; it's just no Awakening or Fates Revelations.
Mega Man 11 was pretty fun, even if I had to use the easiest difficulty with infinite Beat rescues.

Yeah, my "killer app" was Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Great story and characters, fun gameplay, beautiful world; pretty much everything BotW isn't.

You are in the minority, if Nintendo launched the New Switch with Xenoblade games, it will failed. Majority of the people have never heard of Xenoblade or it's characters until they played Smash Bros. It's a niche game that's more popular in Japan than international market. Zelda, Mario and Pokemon are Nintendo's biggest franchaise, they are the killer apps for 'most' people.

Reactions: rad140 and banjo2

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You are in the minority, if Nintendo launched the New Switch with Xenoblade games, it will failed. Majority of the people have never heard of Xenoblade or it's characters until they played Smash Bros. It's a niche game that's more popular in Japan than international market. Zelda, Mario and Pokemon are Nintendo's biggest franchaise, they are the killer apps for 'most' people.
If BotW2 (or whatever it ends up being named) manages to discard the worst aspects of its predecessor - stamina, equipment fragility, complete lack of map markers - and ends up being good, then I'll be infinitely more likely to give it a chance.
As for Pokémon...I have my doubts these Diamond/Pearl remakes will be worth it, considering it's not Platinum (with Distortion World and Battle Frontier) and the last four games had a ton of content stupidly left out. As for Legends, it looks very mediocre, and the art style is sickeningly close to BotW's style.
Mario's alright, on the Switch; as I mentioned before, Odyssey's fine enough, and Luigi's Mansion 3 is excellent. 3D All-Stars and 3D World were garbage, though.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is great, but it really needs All-Star Mode and Classic Mode brought back from Brawl. Those two modes, alongside Subspace Emissary, made Brawl great for singleplayer play. SSBU...just isn't all that good if you don't have friends over/if you refuse to submit to the arbitrary paywall.

The_Green_Nerd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
True. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Switch_video_games

In the top 10:
No. Title Copies sold As of Release date
1 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 33.41 million[7] December 31, 2020 April 28, 2017
2 Animal Crossing: New Horizons 31.18 million[7] December 31, 2020 March 20, 2020
3 Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 22.85 million[7] December 31, 2020 December 7, 2018
4 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 21.45 million[7] December 31, 2020 March 3, 2017
5 Pokémon Sword and Shield 20.35 million[7] December 31, 2020 November 15, 2019
6 Super Mario Odyssey 20.23 million[7] December 31, 2020 October 27, 2017
7 Super Mario Party 13.82 million[7] December 31, 2020 October 5, 2018
8 Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! 13 million[7] December 31, 2020 November 16, 2018
9 Splatoon 2 11.90 million[7] December 31, 2020 July 21, 2017
10 New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe 9.82 million[7] December 31, 2020 January 11, 2019

A new Mario Kart would also make some good impact.

Reactions: rad140

The_Green_Nerd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
These are all still rumors but one thing is for sure: they will never call it the Nintendo Switch Pro. It's too similar to Sony's PS4 branding.
Also the PS4 Pro en Xbox X are meant to be a 2nd tier version of the original. While still selling the PS4 Slim / One S. If Nintendo want to do the same, the "NEW" brand wouldn't suffice. So what name would? Nintendo Switch 4k, Nintendo Switch Enhanced, Super Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Super (NVIDIA way), Nintendo Switch Ultra or Ultra Nintendo Switch (you know from N64).

If Nintendo place it like a replacement for the original, they definitely call it the "NEW Nintendo Switch"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:rofl2: +1