Gaming Bought a new destkop but i don't know if it is a good one

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As Originality put, going down the LLano root is fine but you are stuck with a LLano CPU. The motherboards are not compatible with anything else. As a cheap All-In-One (cough) solution they seem good value for money, but as a basis for a potential gaming rig they seem to me to be a bit of a waste of money perfomance wise.
He can just go for an AM3/3+* motherboard and buy an Athlon II X2 for it which he could buy for the price of a Dog's Dinner while still leaving the option for upgrading to a Phenom CPU later on.

*If they're out by the time he goes shopping lol

I did point that out in my suggested build (just in case Stylo missed it). And thanks Originality, the Antec 100 is a great case for the money as well.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As Originality put, going down the LLano root is fine but you are stuck with a LLano CPU. The motherboards are not compatible with anything else. As a cheap All-In-One (cough) solution they seem good value for money, but as a basis for a potential gaming rig they seem to me to be a bit of a waste of money perfomance wise.
He can just go for an AM3/3+* motherboard and buy an Athlon II X2 for it which he could buy for the price of a Dog's Dinner while still leaving the option for upgrading to a Phenom CPU later on.

*If they're out by the time he goes shopping lol

I did point that out in my suggested build (just in case Stylo missed it).
Oh yeah, I didn't notice. Sorry 'bout that.

I agree wholeheartedly that while the CPU can be swapped easily, the motherboard usually "stays" for a longer period of time. Why buy two when you can have one that's prepared for the future indeed.

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's cool, Foxi4. If you make the right choices you'll never regret paying the extra if you can afford it IMO. That's why I didn't suggest a cheaper AM3 only MB.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Ok, I'm currently half way through reading this month's CustomPC magazine, but I'll copy out one particular article for this thread because it's relevant: How to build a HD Skyrim capable gaming rig for £350.

CPU: Intel Pentium G620 (2.6Ghz dual core, more than enough for gaming, especially if you couple it with a discreet graphics card... and it's sub-£50 too)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61M-B2-S3 (£42, H61 chipset doesn't have SATA3 and only has 2 DIMM slots, but it has all you need for a budget gaming rig)
Graphics: MSI R6750 PM2D1GD5 (£116 and a HD6850 is about as high as you can get in this price range. HD6870 is £25 more, but this is about budget and not performance)
RAM: 4GB Corsair XMS3 (£22, although I can source them for £15... meh, 4GB is all you need, and then it's £35 if you want to jump to 8GB).
Power Supply: Cooler Master GX450W Bronze (450W is the cheapest they could source at £27, but you can get 600-700W at £20-60 too, so I'm not sure about this one).
Case: Asus Vento TA-8G1 (£18, it only has a 80mm fan at the back... but it's the cheapest case you can get that they actually liked. The Antec 100 costs around £50 and is vastly superior, and they say it too, but again this is about keeping the budget down as much as possible)
Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev2 (£17, it's optional but it will make the system cooler and quieter so it's worth investing in. The Freezer 13 provides better cooling, but costs £20.
Storage: 250GB Western Digital WD2502ABYS RE3 (£45) and Samsung OEM DVD-RW (£14).

All of that comes to £350.25 (I rounded up above). Then there's Windows 7 OEM for £72, but that doesn't allow for motherboard transfers (license issue).

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Just because you're a pirate, doesn't mean everybody is. The person for whom I'm building a PC on Thursday (the parts arrived today) decided to buy it because it's too much hassle to pirate. Nothing goes wrong when it's legit, but when you pirate you have to deal with fake/corrupted/infected ISOs and WAP/WGA removers, etc. That's why I always say that it's an option.

And if anyone was interested, his build is more or less the same as above (except Core i3 instead of Pentium G620, and he got an Antec PSU).

Reactions: 1 person

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You probably won't be able to play any games from the last 10 years.
Than i will use it for surfing and downloading things but i won't play high end games but just games like call of duty 3 and Maybe after upgrading CoD WaW

MW3...?
http://www.game-deba...n%20warfare%203
That has a MINIMUM of 2gb RAM requirement.
So nope.
Call of Duty 3. Not Modern Warfare.
Oh.haha I'm blind.
Requirements are:128MB RAM
So yeah it's good.

stylow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Then there's Windows 7 OEM for £72.

HA!

There are sooooooo many things I'd rather buy for those 72 pounds... :P
My friend has a windows 7 disc and he said he can put windows 7 on the destkop but i don't know if that is better or just downgrade to XP
EDIT: Guys when i put an internet cable in it the connection works but when i type a adress like www.google.nl it says the same when there isn't a internet cable.
I'm sure the internet connection is fine as it asked me to update to servicepack 1

stylow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Firewalls blocking the browser? Proxy settings in the browser or Ethernet port that are left over from your friend using it?
No firewall no proxy setting but what do you mean with ethernet port i can see my laptop in the connection but internet doesn't work also tryed mozilla but that also doesn't work

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Pretty much a net browsing machine that will be lucky to play a game from this century.
I suggest you not bother in trying to upgrade it into something great, because you pretty much need to remove all of those parts.
The case might be good though.

stylow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So this what you see when i put the cable in the destkop
2012-02-14 15.10.49.jpg
and when i open mozilla you see this
2012-02-14 15.11.20.jpg

Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Pretty decent hardware. :D
Upgrading the PC is almost like buying a new one.
This PC can surely handle COD:2 and AoE:2 .

I see that the mobo is the main problem.I also guess that the mobo supports only 1/2 gb of RAM which might be a problem(2 gb is decent).
But if you try to upgrade your mobo you'll also have to replace your CPU,RAM and PSU or on the other hand a temporary solution is to get a PSU and GPU(and case if needed).It might be able to run some games but you'll get lag due to RAM(as windows would take up 600mb of RAM and you'll be left with only 428mb).
For now I can only say is that you should get an AMD Llano processor,a cheap but effective mobo,4 or 8 RAM(cheapest one) and a 500-700 watt PSU.
Then save some money for GPU and if needed a HDD or a cabinet(for high-profile GPU).

stylow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Pretty decent hardware. :D
Upgrading the PC is almost like buying a new one.
This PC can surely handle COD:2 and AoE:2 .

I see that the mobo is the main problem.I also guess that the mobo supports only 1/2 gb of RAM which might be a problem(2 gb is decent).
But if you try to upgrade your mobo you'll also have to replace your CPU,RAM and PSU or on the other hand a temporary solution is to get a PSU and GPU(and case if needed).It might be able to run some games but you'll get lag due to RAM(as windows would take up 600mb of RAM and you'll be left with only 428mb).
For now I can only say is that you should get an AMD Llano processor,a cheap but effective mobo,4 or 8 RAM(cheapest one) and a 500-700 watt PSU.
Then save some money for GPU and if needed a HDD or a cabinet(for high-profile GPU).
Yeah i think i will do it like that but for the internet connection my final and best solution is to install vista again i have a genuine key so thats not a problem and also it will remove all spyware virusses etc.
I think that is the reason why my internet connection doesn't work and a format is definetly needed believe me my friend installed every program on the internet lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: It is really cool how they managed to do this. Hopefully we get a fully hacked XBox One by next... +1