Bullying

imshortandrad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Suicide is the weakest option you can choose. It should never be considered strength, because it's just giving up. You don't know what I've been through, I don't know what other people have been through, but suicide should NEVER be an option. It's taking the easy way out.

You may say it shouldn't be an option, but I'm saying it's not a strength. It's weakness.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Dangy said:
ShadowSoldier said:
He's right. All you do is just make idiotic posts as if everything is easy and everybody is the same, and everything is black and white.

I'm trying to get you to understand, if you commit suicide you're a loser, and you're weak. You've yet to come up with anything to counter my statement.

Bullies are just giving people a realistic expectation of what the world is really like. This world is rife with conflict, it's full of people that don't agree. It's fully of people that hate each other, and will, ocationally, get violent. You gotta learn how to deal with this stuff when you're a teenage. If you shelter people from this stuff during their formative years, they're never going to know how to deal with these sorts of situations.

To be completely honest, I find that to be most generalized and provincial.

Please consider the severity of what you're saying. Yes, learning how to stand up to opposition is one thing. However, I hardly find bullying to be beneficial in any way, as it isn't comparable to any sort of real-life instance at all. In the "real world", the prevalence of disagreements ending in violence pales in comparison to the constant, incessant physical coercion that bullied people must face. In adulthood, there is not the foreboding, lingering dread of inevitable daily agony. I find it hard to believe that as an adult, one must fear the unavoidable scenario of being emotionally and/or physically injured day after day, interminably, for years on end, for seemingly no reason at all. As you have said, there are occasional violent instances in the "real world", and even those that occur won't be as detrimental to a hardened, experienced adult as they would be to kids and teenagers, who are, as you have also said, impressionable, and as such, are naturally dangerously sensitive to anything and everything around them. Finding the self-confidence and faith to stand up for oneself is hard for those who may know nothing besides unending discouragement, and incessant derision for the majority part of their lives, rather than the minority.

Have you ever considered the variables? After all, it is not as if every child has a supportive, healthy family to turn to, or an accessible, readily-available selection of friends to comfort them. If this were the case for all instances of bullying, then certainly there would be little reason to feel so much melancholy in oneself that they see no solution other than to terminate themselves, and in doing so, hopefully finally find relief from the life that has been nothing but an unsurmountable burden on their naive, troubled, oppressed souls.

Furthermore, even if one does have adequate family and friends, that is no reason to label their melancholy as unfounded. In some cases, namely teenagers, severe depression can come for seemingly no reason at all, and for many, it becomes a near-unsurmountable force. One who has never been clinically depressed can not know the inexplicably powerful sadness one can feel, and for seemingly no reason for it. Even the comfort and care of friends and family are sometimes insufficient for resolving the unexplainable "empty" feeling. Depression on its own can have a severely damaging effect on one's sense of self-worth, and being hazed on a regular basis will only increase their melancholy exponentially. When people fail to consider the huge impact bullying can have, they wrongly assume that letting the kid "tough it out" is always the right solution. For some, this is an adequate solution. But for others, it's a crippling, and sometimes fatal misconception.

(JEEZ, LIGHTEN UP, GEOFLCL)

I'm not saying suicide should be an option. I'm saying that unlike some of us, who have something to look forward to, to confide in, others simply aren't as fortunate. For something as serious as suicide, it's simply bull-headed to assume that they'd do it without reason. It's weakness, but how can there be anything but weakness to those who have nothing to gain strength from? I realize it may be hard to understand. It's not that they have no strength to hold on, it's simply that they have nothing that they think is worth holding on to. And only us, the more fortunate, can help them. Instead of viewing bullying as a universally healthy, beneficial factor to everyone simply because you were able to conquer it, don't assume that everyone will be as fortunate, or as well equipped as you were. Independence is a valuable asset, yes, but it comes to some easier than it does others, sometimes undeservedly so.
frown.gif

imshortandrad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Please don't assume that I haven't been there. It's not hard to understand. I went through this. I had absolutely NOTHING. I had no one. I was not well equipped, and I had nothing to look forward to. Everyone will have struggles. Some worse than others. But giving up on your life, is weakness. They are weak. It's the truth, and there is no excuse for that.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
imshortandrad said:
It's taking the easy way out.
Anyone who's truly faced suicide would never say that. I don't disagree with you that suicide is a weakness, but stronger people than you and I have committed suicide, yet I bet you and I don't consider ourselves weak. It's not simply a matter of "you kill yourself, you're weak," as was the suggestion earlier in the thread.

In any case, back to bullying.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
@shorthandrad
yeah, you've been there. but does everyone else comes back up? it's not just looking @ you're experiences, it's looking @ the world in other people's eyes. a different perspective.

if you came back up, then you must've seen/heard/or experience something that others don't. don't always base everything @ you're own experince.

leeday100196

GBAtemp's Official Infernape™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only real way to stop it, from my experience, is to have a shot back. generally if they're physically picking on you, you hurt them hard enough and they'll leave you alone, perhaps even give you a bit more respect. It's happened with me, I've hit them back and they've left me alone since. That plus my taekwondo skills really keep me out of trouble.

imshortandrad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Narayan said:
@shorthandrad
yeah, you've been there. but does everyone else comes back up? it's not just looking @ you're experiences, it's looking @ the world in other people's eyes. a different perspective.

if you came back up, then you must've seen/heard/or experience something that others don't. don't always base everything @ you're own experince.

Obviously they don't come back up. They killed themselves.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
imshortandrad said:
yeah that's my point, but why did they do it?
and why didn't you do it.

answering by because it's weak is too shallow.

i'm asking what is the one thing or event that made you choose not to commit suicide. that's what they're lacking, and not because they're weak from the start.

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
geoflcl said:
-snip-

I agree for the most part. My posts are meant to be generalized.

nutella said:
QUOTE(imshortandrad @ Mar 19 2011, 03:09 PM) It's taking the easy way out.
Anyone who's truly faced suicide would never say that. I don't disagree with you that suicide is a weakness, but stronger people than you and I have committed suicide, yet I bet you and I don't consider ourselves weak. It's not simply a matter of "you kill yourself, you're weak," as was the suggestion earlier in the thread.

In any case, back to bullying.

She just said that she faced suicide. Stop being ignorant.

In any case, back to suicide.

imshortandrad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Narayan said:
imshortandrad said:

i'm asking what is the one thing or event that made you choose not to commit suicide. that's what they're lacking, and not because they're weak from the start.

It's not shallow, it's the truth.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
imshortandrad said:
Narayan said:
imshortandrad said:

It's not shallow, it's the truth.

yup, the truth and it's shallow. you didn't analyze your experience much. you just went through it.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Eh, I apologize if I've offended you, imshortandrad. My previous post was more geared toward those who haven't felt bullying at its worst, or haven't been in the situation at all. I'm afraid those people simply have no basis for their championing bullying as an "essential, invaluable" part in everyone's life. Such things get me a bit flustered, I'm afraid.

Also, indeed, suicide is weakness. However, weakness is not necessarily any reason to condemn someone. In the case of suicide, it's simply a matter of clinging on to something that keeps you going. It's my belief that there is simply no reason that we should not at least try to provide that something...
(Edit:)
... Someone was kind enough to provide it for me, and I'm eternally grateful. If it wasn't for that something, I'm not sure where I'd be. The sheer prospect of that alternate fate has taught me that we should do our best to provide as well.

Also:
Dangy said:
I agree for the most part. My posts are meant to be generalized.

Oh, dear. I do hope I haven't stricken the wrong chord, then. :S

imshortandrad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
geoflcl said:
Eh, I apologize if I've offended you, imshortandrad. My previous post was more geared toward those who haven't felt bullying at its worst, or haven't been in the situation at all. I'm afraid those people simply have no basis for their championing bullying as an "essential, invaluable" part in everyone's life. Such things get me a bit flustered, I'm afraid.

Also, indeed, suicide is weakness. However, weakness is not necessarily any reason to condemn someone. It's simply a matter of clinging on to something that keeps you going. It's my belief that there is simply no reason that we should not at least try to provide that something.

You have not offended me. I can see where you are coming from, even if I don't agree. I'm also glad you are not bashing me for my opinions. Everyone has their own opinion on this kind of stuff. I, myself, get quite flustered pretty easily with these topics.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imshortandrad said:
geoflcl said:

Also, indeed, suicide is weakness. However, weakness is not necessarily any reason to condemn someone. It's simply a matter of clinging on to something that keeps you going. It's my belief that there is simply no reason that we should not at least try to provide that something.

You have not offended me. I can see where you are coming from, even if I don't agree. I'm also glad you are not bashing me for my opinions. Everyone has their own opinion on this kind of stuff. I, myself, get quite flustered pretty easily with these topics.
Same here, I generally stop posting in them. I give my 2 cents and leave it to it.

@The suicide discussion:

Bullying is some of the worst things about growing up. Middle school: You get bullied for being short, for being wrong, for being silly. It hurts, some bullying calls your sexuality to be pushed into question. I've seen people who were bullied to the point of accepting the words of the other to be truth. Bullying is the outcome of poor parenting, a compensation if you will. Sometimes the entire thing get's out of hand when someone becomes lost forever. It's tragic, and should never happen, but it does.

The entire suicide practice is indeed a weak human flaw. Everyone has it, but some will cope better than others. Some of my close friends seemed strong, and were always better off than me, but they came dangerously close to cutting themselves off. If I hadn't been there for them, they would no longer be here.

Also, this isn't how the world works. In the real world, you cannot retaliate. In the real world, people don't belittle you for no reason. The only bullying are between friends, because anyone else in work could be fired, or charged for slander.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blood Fetish said:
I question if any of the "suicide is weakness" people have ever experienced clinical depression before.
Parents threatened to send me to an insane asylum. Is that a testament to how bad I was?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Each person is different. Each person develops attributes differently from other people. Each person isn't raised in the same way. Each person is influenced differently from their surroundings. There are some people who come back up to the life side after having stood on the line of suicide. Others end up going the other direction. How can anyone truly say that one is weak or strong based on which direction they go?

This was in no way meant as offense to those who have stood on that line, but also understand, that while the line has been stood on, a person standing on it is not the same as another who stands on the line. Your brain pattern, your logic, your idea of the universe and the afterlife, etc. is not the same as another person.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blood Fetish said:
Argentum Vir said:
Blood Fetish said:
I question if any of the "suicide is weakness" people have ever experienced clinical depression before.
Parents threatened to send me to an insane asylum. Is that a testament to how bad I was?
Not in and of itself.
Not sure what you mean.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto