• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Can Nanotech Cure Death?

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, why would you WANT to live longer? I'm one of those people who are dreading the possibility to live into my 90's and 100's and deal with more pain than I already do at 16..

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Shouldn't we worry about the survivability of our planet BEFORE our own?
Assuming it is a problem of such dire and likely potential then would you not want some people with centuries of experience in things helping you out?

Honestly, why would you WANT to live longer? I'm one of those people who are dreading the possibility to live into my 90's and 100's and deal with more pain than I already do at 16..
For myself I quite enjoy this learning and existence lark. The opportunity to do more of it then seems desirable.

Reactions: bennyman123abc

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Ok, there's a misconception here you need to understand; that average doesn't exist because people only lived into their 20s and then keeled over, it's because a comparatively small percentage lived into their 70s and 80s while many didn't even survive infancy. It's not lifespan necessarily that's improved over the years, it's instead reduced mortality rates reducing the lower "outlier" in the average
I know how lifespans work. And I know about infant mortality rates bringing down life expectancies. And it doesn't mean live till 20's and death. My comment was what Ray Kurzweil said. Animals used to live short lives and evolution never caught up with these longer life spans for some animals except for like some Turtles.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So your saying everyone will live in constant fear of death, instead of accepting it?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think we will find that it doesn't make that much of a difference.
It will. Humans and Chimps had a common ancestor. And look at the different paths we took and the Mental Capabilities between Humans and Chimps.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming it is a problem of such dire and likely potential then would you not want some people with centuries of experience in things helping you out?
Honestly? In this case I don't think centuries of experience are better at all. Saving the planet is above all changing our way to live. Something that gets exponentially harder as you age.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly? In this case I don't think centuries of experience are better at all. Saving the planet is above all changing our way to live. Something that gets exponentially harder as you age.
I say more science will solve the problems faced more than training new people to be hippies or something.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard the arguments, and read the papers that say things like. "If you're alive in the 30 years, you'll be alive in 3000." Seems unlikely. Will someone make it to 150 thanks to modern medicine and technology? Probably, but it will happen long after I am dead and forgotten.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I say more science will solve the problems faced more than training new people to be hippies or something.
You don't need to get to such extremes, but even getting some (young) people to not throw used batteries in the trash is a challenge, and it's even harder to make them change when they get older.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

For myself I quite enjoy this learning and existence lark. The opportunity to do more of it then seems desirable.
Me too. I enjoy life a lot. Theres so much I want to do. So many hobbies I want to get into. Extending life will be great.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While it would be certainly possible, I'm not for giving people even more excuses to be lazy and selfish. If they can't take a few steps towards preserving what we have I don't think it'll get better even when they can live forever.
We appear to be heading towards rather different places than the topic really started as, though I am going to shoulder some blame as I quite like pondering techno utopia where this might be before that truly comes to pass. That said I would still say you are overestimating the threats faced by the planet at this point.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We appear to be heading towards rather different places than the topic really started as, though I am going to shoulder some blame as I quite like pondering techno utopia where this might be before that truly comes to pass. That said I would still say you are overestimating the threats faced by the planet at this point.
I hope you're right :)

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure the lifespan of the human body can be extended through better living conditions, medical therapies and interventions, and breakthroughs like that proposed by the OP, probably at least to an average 150 years. Not indefinitely though. Living is a terminal illness. I don't see that changing until we figure out a way to transplant our consciousness, intact, to another carrier, natural or artificial. And if we ever get to that point, we will lose our 'humanity' despite whatever we may gain.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D