• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Can Nanotech Cure Death?

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's really weird seeing people wanting not to die. Not being sarcastical at all, it's kind of just natural and programmed to be like this ever since the start. I think living on the same life for way too long might get boring. Maybe stopping aging or at least making it slower would be interesting, as it would allow us to live better lifestyles at older ages, but having eternal life really sounds boring round' here.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's really weird seeing people wanting not to die
it's kind of just natural and programmed to be like this ever since the start

That does not make for a good argument. We have twisted and changed the world beyond anything that likely would have happened by chance, or indeed any one thing would have happened by chance, which is to say nothing we have now is natural, not even close.

If living the same life would get boring then change -- if you have effectively infinite time then you can happily afford to do that.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
100 years isn't immortal :P
Functional immortality like it probably would happen is that we'd extend our lives by a certain amount, and during that time, we'd refine the technology again and again, and essentially never reach the death point. Say we extend our lives by a century. In that century, more effective anti-aging would be invented to make you even more resilent to time, and more, and more, essentially making you immortal.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That does not make for a good argument. We have twisted and changed the world beyond anything that likely would have happened by chance, or indeed any one thing would have happened by chance, which is to say nothing we have now is natural, not even close.

If living the same life would get boring then change -- if you have effectively infinite time then you can happily afford to do that.
The concept I was offered was: imagine deciding to change careers without the weight on time on your shoulders, being able to study for a decade and get really good at another field and reach a high level in it.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Functional immortality like it probably would happen is that we'd extend our lives by a certain amount, and during that time, we'd refine the technology again and again, and essentially never reach the death point. Say we extend our lives by a century. In that century, more effective anti-aging would be invented to make you even more resilent to time, and more, and more, essentially making you immortal.
And since people are extending their lives there will be veterans in the field using that experience to create even more advance technology than a human with a 76 average life span can. Think of what 300 yrs of expertise can do.

Combine this with the Intelligence Race we are in right now pretty soon the average person will have IQ's greater than Einstein. Think of how fast technology will progress when everyone has Einsteins intelligence and even more people will be smart enough to work in the Scientific Field.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Might need to give it a century for the "don't want no govvermat in mah head" types to die off.
Embryo selecting for high IQ's will soon to be a thing. People will have ethical issues with it. But countries that don't do this will be left behind in the technological race, when other countries are making more progress and are becoming more prosperous. That will force countries to give up their beliefs and join in the IQ selecting to be able to have a chance to compete economically.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So your saying everyone will live in constant fear of death, instead of accepting it?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Embryo selecting for high IQ's will soon to be a thing. People will have ethical issues with it. But countries that don't do this will be left behind in the technological race, when other countries are making more progress and are becoming more prosperous. That will force countries to give up their beliefs and join in the IQ selecting to be able to have a chance to compete economically.
I think we will find that it doesn't make that much of a difference.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So your saying everyone will live in constant fear of death, instead of accepting it?
Preferable to actual oblivion. I am all that is in my universe, everything comes through these eyeballs. If I die and am destroyed, it defeats the purpose of learning and living. Limited or not, immortality should be the primary goal of the 21st century, since we finally are reaching the technological state where it's feasible.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Average life span of humans use to be in the 20’s. So our bodies never evolved to cope with aging past our late 20’s. That fact that we used science and tech to live up to our 70’s we are already extending human life.
Ok, there's a misconception here you need to understand; that average doesn't exist because people only lived into their 20s and then keeled over, it's because a comparatively small percentage lived into their 70s and 80s while many didn't even survive infancy. It's not lifespan necessarily that's improved over the years, it's instead reduced mortality rates reducing the lower "outlier" in the average

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of the same technology that's going to be use to extend lives, are also going make existing humans smarter and stronger.

If it gets to the point where everyone is learning things quickly through technology, a 300 years old wouldn't necessarily be anymore skilled or smarter than someone younger than that.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[IQ races]
I think we will find that it doesn't make that much of a difference.
Because computers will take over?
Most fields of human endeavour these days seem to be if not intelligence driven then massively aided by it and I see no great reason, other than some kind of computer driven utopia, for that to stop.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't necessarily see how a person's worth should be tied to their intelligence or skill level, though
That's not what I meant by that. Wasn't saying anything about worth.

Just going against the idea that someone who lives longer doing and learning something, would necessarily be more smarter or more skill than the ones around them.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If we have the kind of tech that makes people "live forever", especially if it is the nanotech type stuff rather than something like "protein which disables ageing mechanisms", then we surely have the ability to... I guess it would be uplift the legacy humans if they fall behind in the tech curve. Substantial changes in living organisms has traditionally been hard but it is less of an issue today (CRISPR being a nice jumping off point) and will presumably be less of one still in a world where becoming outdated is a real concern.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not what I meant by that. Wasn't saying anything about worth.

Just going against the idea that someone who lives longer doing and learning something, would necessarily be more smarter or more skill than the ones around them.
Oh, I see. So like in terms of societal advancement there's no point in living past a certain point?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sigh