• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Can Nanotech Cure Death?

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Lots of advancement in nanotechnology. There’s estimation that in the 2030’s all dieaseas, cancer, and obesity will be eliminated using nanobots.

And nanotech can even be used to cure aging and death.

Predictions by 2050 we can extend human life for another century. For us youngins this is within our life time. Maybe for some older people too.

We could be the last generation to experience death or the first generation to become almost immortal. With only freak accidents and murder being able to kill us.

So do you guys think scientists can actually pull this off?
How will this affect religious beliefs? People that believe in an after life? Or overpopulation? What are your thoughts about possibly being able to live longer?

Sources
Here, Here, and Here

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Death and aging aren't diseases so it doesn't need curing.
To be honest, we shouldn't strive for immortality or extending mortality, because the wrong persons will get their hands on it.
It wouldn't help overpopulation either.

Other than that, it's impressive what scientists invent these days and i'm curious to see how it develops further

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
There is lots of funding to try to reverse the aging process. If they can stop aging and death then we can be very close to immortal. Living way past 100 maybe 200, 300+ yrs. I hope this tech can really do what scientist are saying it can do.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Death and aging aren't diseases so it doesn't need curing.
To be honest, we shouldn't strive for immortality or extending mortality, because the wrong persons will get their hands on it.
It wouldn't help overpopulation either.

Other than that, it's impressive what scientists invent these days and i'm curious to see how it develops further
Scientist are treating aging and death as a disease that needs to be cured.

Average life span of humans use to be in the 20’s. So our bodies never evolved to cope with aging past our late 20’s. That fact that we used science and tech to live up to our 70’s we are already extending human life.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: CallmeBerto

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
The reversability of death is going to depend on the degree of data recovery possible from a dead brain. Even if you can reconstruct or replace neurons you might end up with individuals with partial or complete loss of memory, personality etc. otherwise even if you can fully restore a half-rotted corpse to full life it'll just not be "them" anymore. It's well within possibility but I don't know if nanotech will have biological application as early as 2050. It'll likely be getting its first PRACTICAL applications by then. What is likely is human lifespan extension by 10 maybe 20 years through other tech. When nanotech becomes biologically practical, maybe by the '70s or '80s, it'll for sure be a worldchanger eliminating almost all disease but I think life expansion will come primarily through gene therapy because it's easier to patch up what already works to improve it before integrating an entire secondary system built from scratch to coexist with our biology. By the way get ready to add lithium to your diet lol.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. We can't currently cure/vaccinate against the flu not because we can't build the proper molecule(s) but because we don't know what molecule(s) to build that will kill the flu and not kill you in the process. Now, add in all diseases, long-term deformities, etc. Even excluding accidents or new diseases that being to arise from longer lives, the challenge of trying to create technology that can sufficiently battle all diseases is really unrealistic. We can't even make successful anti-virus software without false positives where the difficulty of catching, analyzing, and quarantining is near infinitely easier.

The most realistic path for immortality would be uploading our minds. Of course, that would never be satisfactory because we'd never know if the results were truly successful and not merely seemingly successful--basically in analogy to the philosphical zombie--, it's not like that sort of answer is actually a particularly good one. Nor does it resolve the long-term maintenance of those machines holding uploaded minds. The journey, though, could be its own reward.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nanotech of that order by 2030? Not seeing it. It is only a decade away and for it to happen there would have to be the materials, the power delivery, the computing and more all in place today for such a timeframe to occur. Outside shot for maybe 2060 from where I sit. Nanotech dressings, maybe things like stents for heart surgery, or indeed replacing it in many cases, maybe inbuilt nano clotting/tourniquet type things, possibly some eyes or frameworks, sure. The sci fi style swarm of mini general purpose robots that keep me in peak physical condition and borderline immortal... not so much.

There will be some serious advancements before then, most likely on the biological side of things (maybe generating non differentiated stem cells in adults, possibly some cryogenics, robotic replacements). Also outside chance someone does something really fun with biological causes of ageing like the telomeres or something.

My thoughts on living longer? All for it. Make it happen. Alas it is not my field so I shall have to content myself with building those that want that better machines to play with.

End goal for me would also be mind uploading. Possibly to then become a hive mind.

"religious beliefs"
Probably the usual
Few people declare it bad, possibly pointing to early things needing some refinement. It then becomes a point they are unwilling to shift on for some.
Most find it fine.
Some them claim to use them is the will of their divine beings.

I doubt there will be a truly considered opposition to such things from the religious zealots front. Basic economics would do them in, and if not then more targetted economics, some choice legal cases and some rifles will handle the rest.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
The reversability of death is going to depend on the degree of data recovery possible from a dead brain. Even if you can reconstruct or replace neurons you might end up with individuals with partial or complete loss of memory, personality etc. otherwise even if you can fully restore a half-rotted corpse to full life it'll just not be "them" anymore. It's well within possibility but I don't know if nanotech will have biological application as early as 2050. It'll likely be getting its first PRACTICAL applications by then. What is likely is human lifespan extension by 10 maybe 20 years through other tech. When nanotech becomes biologically practical, maybe by the '70s or '80s, it'll for sure be a worldchanger eliminating almost all disease but I think life expansion will come primarily through gene therapy because it's easier to patch up what already works to improve it before integrating an entire secondary system built from scratch to coexist with our biology. By the way get ready to add lithium to your diet lol.
Even if we can extend life for only 30-50 yrs past average life span that’s a lot of time for technology advancement. We can live long enough in the 70’s-80’s to see this technology really take off.

Nanotech of that order by 2030? Not seeing it. It is only a decade away and for it to happen there would have to be the materials, the power delivery, the computing and more all in place today for such a timeframe to occur. Outside shot for maybe 2060 from where I sit. Nanotech dressings, maybe things like stents for heart surgery, or indeed replacing it in many cases, maybe inbuilt nano clotting/tourniquet type things, possibly some eyes or frameworks, sure. The sci fi style swarm of mini general purpose robots that keep me in peak physical condition and borderline immortal... not so much.

There will be some serious advancements before then, most likely on the biological side of things (maybe generating non differentiated stem cells in adults, possibly some cryogenics, robotic replacements). Also outside chance someone does something really fun with biological causes of ageing like the telomeres or something.

My thoughts on living longer? All for it. Make it happen. Alas it is not my field so I shall have to content myself with building those that want that better machines to play with.

End goal for me would also be mind uploading. Possibly to then become a hive mind.

"religious beliefs"
Probably the usual
Few people declare it bad, possibly pointing to early things needing some refinement. It then becomes a point they are unwilling to shift on for some.
Most find it fine.
Some them claim to use them is the will of their divine beings.

I doubt there will be a truly considered opposition to such things from the religious zealots front. Basic economics would do them in, and if not then more targetted economics, some choice legal cases and some rifles will handle the rest.
Moore’s law on computing. And the internet has made tech advancement a lot quicker. They can communicate discoveries a lot faster and work together miles away.

And Deep learning A.I. can speed this up even more. It can be used in the medical and science field to make discoveries much faster and diagnose problems better than even the smartest Phd’s. It’s already out competing them. Technology will advance even quicker now.

http://fortune.com/ai-artificial-intelligence-deep-machine-learning/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/futuri...that-can-learn-almost-as-fast-as-a-human/amp/

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even if we can extend life for only 30-50 yrs past average life span that’s a lot of time for technology advancement. We can live long enough in the 70’s-80’s to see this technology really take off.

Moore’s law on computing. And the internet has made tech advancement a lot quicker. They can communicate discoveries a lot faster and work together miles away.

And Deep learning A.I. can speed this up even more. It can be used in the medical and science field to make discoveries much faster and diagnose problems better than even the smartest Phd’s. It’s already out competing them. Technology will advance even quicker now.

http://fortune.com/ai-artificial-intelligence-deep-machine-learning/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/futuri...that-can-learn-almost-as-fast-as-a-human/amp/

I am familiar with all of those.

The internet however has been available to researchers for decades now. Good stuff indeed but not seeing the potential for a huge leap beyond what has already been seen.

Moore's law is arguably coming to an end and I was factoring for expected increases if I am going for the 2030 marker you set.

Deep learning and computational research may give us some nice new drugs, protein analysis, genetic tests and the like in that timeframe but not quite mysteries of the universe, or indeed biology, yet.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
yeah sure extend human life for another 100y? that means total destruction and death for this planet, after we consume like a filthy leecher all resources and consumables, we start the war against each other to reduce populations, the a new spice of intelligent monkey will rises, they will push repels against human and push us to extinction!

I call Dawn of planet of Apes.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah sure extend human life for another 100y? that means total destruction and death for this planet, after we consume like a filthy leecher all resources and consumables, we start the war against each other to reduce populations, the a new spice of intelligent monkey will rises, they will push repels against human and push us to extinction!

I call Dawn of planet of Apes.
Well, hopefully we'll solve our energy needs by then via nuclear, solar or some other form by then. As for water, maybe by then we'll find an efficient way of turning salt water into drinking water. As for food, well, GMOs are making a lot of progress. :P I guess all we can hope for is China, India, and pretty much nearly all of Africa to stop making so many babies! :D

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
via nuclear, solar
use nuclrear to resolve constant increasing energy demonding, u can't be serious
solar? unless you cover the whole earth with solar panels otherwise it won't produce enough for everyone.
turning salt
we have already found the most efficient way to convert it: rain.
they will make you lose ur sexual functions and you will become steril, so they are absolutely forbidden.
China, India, and pretty much nearly all of Africa to stop making so many babies!
China 's communist regime forcely apply the ''one only child law'', Indie dunno, Afrika will continue to fight each other and certainly dive to extinction soon and we won't find anymore afros except the UK/USA afros.

The only conclusion is states shall keep selling firearms so whites and afros can keep killing eachother, and it leads USA into whole another level of civil wars, finally earth's biggest cancer will cure itself :P

a note for mods: term ''afro'' is politically correct; those are just theory from gamers, so we shall call it game-theory :P

Last edited by leon315,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A combined nuclear and solar/renewables approach could do well. Nuclear is pretty safe and clean when all is said and done.

Even assuming this batch of GMOs did that (they don't) then surely the solution is more science.

Rain is far from the most efficient means of desalination if you want to account for amounts produced and able to be collected, never mind it getting to where it is needed.

Equally as life gets more expensive then fertility rates (as in number of children per woman) tend to drop, or if you prefer see most rich countries. No need to enact policies.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Reactions: Subtle Demise

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's all conjecture. This is like the people who said we'd all be in flying cars by 2015.

It's fun to talk about, but there's certainly no indication that tech that doesn't even exist yet/possibly never will exist can change the world/life/death so extensively.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn